Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meralon_drader

Ugly metal door needs a makeover

Meralon Drader
11 years ago
We bought this little house in Mexico last spring, it was known as "casa fea", which means ugly house. You can see why in the picture. We have done the back yard with a pool and laundry room, and this season we are working on the front of the house.
I have many ideas to fix up the lack of symmetry, add a garden, put faux arches on the cement walls, front porch ad nauseum. The problem I cant get my head around is how to make the front door look a little friendlier. It is metal, in vertical strips and we need to keep it for security. Wood doesnt survive well in the climate, or it would have been replaced already! I have thought about faux finishes, maybe a wood look as it already has the board look due to the metal strips. Then over the faux finish maybe some scrolly iron. Any ideas greatly appreciated. By the way we are both pretty handy when it comes to do it yourself type projects.
Thanks for your help!

Comments (11)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Let us see the pool and back yard so we can get a feel for the direction you've already taken. That might generate more compatible suggestions. WIth such a small house, you want to keep a unified directions going.
  • Meralon Drader
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree, too many ideas and not enough space is already my problem.
    I attached the second pic because the colour of the patio around the pool is not accurate in the first shot. Thanks for your interest!
    By the way, since this is a pretty much a "from scratch" project, we can do whatever we want, within reason. I think that is why I am stuck, as everything will change! (except the door)
    Inside we put down new tile on the floor and granite countertops with wood cabinets in the kitchen. I will attach a photo of that too as the light creates a problem here. In the kitchen, the light makes the countertops looks greyish and the floor blueish. On the dining room side of the counter is the actual colour, much warmer. How do I paint the walls??? (sorry about the orientation, that photo wont flip anywhere i post it!)
  • Meralon Drader
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Its the same colour floor and granite in both rooms!
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    I would choose a bright color to make it very inviting. Right now you just see a dark rectangle for the door. Choose a fun color! I would then add some planters on both sides of the door.
  • Meralon Drader
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes to both ideas! I love gardening and have big plans for the front, including trellis and arches. You can have ironwork done in mx very inexpensively and our big front gate is also black iron. What do you you think of turquoise for the door?
  • PRO
    CASTLE Design Studio LLC
    11 years ago
    So adorable...the name ”ugly house” cracks me up! I can understand how you saw so much potential here. Love Stanton's idea for a bright pop of color on the door-it could become your signature for the house, accent color throughout, party invites...but somehow not overdone. A 'Fun Traditional Latino meets Industrial' style might be super hip for your landscape direction. In direct contrast, Carolyn's pretty approach could be better for you. A ”tah-dah” moment when looking at the door would also benefit from something like bright pots at the porch edge, on each side of the walkway, to give depth. Looks like a fun respite!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I'd love the door in turquoise!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Love the cinnamon chocolate color of the patio area. Might go with a light version of it on the rest of the house. Bright Mexican blue door with multicolored tiles for the front patio/porch area. Xeriscape the front with more gravel and plants that thrive in Mexico. Bouganvilla climbing all three posts and following a trellis across the front would provide some privacy, beautiful color and a decorative boost to the front. Flower boxes hanging on the knee walls at each end of the front patio. Maybe a big pot made into a bubbler fountain there between the front door and large window.
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    Love the idea of cinnamon color body, turquoise door & shutters & terra cotta color pots with flowers.
  • Meralon Drader
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all your great comments, we will be there in 2 weeks, I cant wait to get started!