Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephc6137

Need help with farm house sink dilemna

stephc6137
11 years ago
Hi all- I am dying for a farmhouse sink, but my kitchen is kind of wacky. Due to the placement of the dishwasher and oven (side by side to the left of the sink), the sink has to be off center from the window. There are no reconfiguration options at all. Would a farmhouse sink be so obviously off center that it would be a no-no? I love the look of it, but don't want it to look terrible. This is where a 24" farmhouse would be placed.

Comments (27)

• stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry, should've said we are redoing cabinets and countertop, but there is just not enough room to move either appliance to another area in the room. It goes dishwasher-sink-wall. So all of that considered, how awful would the farmhouse look and would it accentuate the off-center placement? Or be okay and still look pretty?
  • Jan May
    11 years ago
    Whilst I don't think the sink being slightly off-centre would make a whole heap of difference, I don't think it would go at all with the existing contemporary units and appliances. How about a super modern tap instead to add interest?
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Why just a 24" farmhouse when you have the room for a much larger one or even one with a 70/30 split. The wider you go using the whole width of the cabinet the less obvious the off set will be plus this opportunity will let you centre your faucet
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    No way you could move your stove to the wall perpendicular to your window/sink wall? Then shift down so sink is more centered? If not, I would not put in a farm sink since it's off-centered from the window.

Or, can you put in a bigger window and put up a smaller right upper cabinet?
  • stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It's hard to explain, but that wall is a small wall with a big window, so no good place for it. Window change is cost-prohibitive I think. SO frustrating! Not sure if narrowing the cabinet under the sink would work- not sure if there would be adequate room for a 24" sink. The question is, with a FH sink, is it a no-no if it's a little off center (less than now)?
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Why just a 24 your base cabinet is much larger
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    candace66 raises a good point. Go the full width of the base cabinet with a farm sink and it won't look as obviously off-center.
  • stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Linda584, I'm not sure I understand...Wouldn't I then have a thin left door and a thicker right door?

Candace, we wanted to have thin panels on either side framing the sink. Our contractor would cut out the area for the sink from the fake drawer panel of the new cabinet.
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It's not too bad the way you have it proposed. What if you painted the window casing the same as your wall color and go with a simple window treatment to blend in? It would not make the window as prominent and disguise the off-centered-ness.

Also, a custom dishwasher panel to match your new cabinets would help make the dishwasher disappear, so it'll look like you have less things all lined up on a wall.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Why would you want a thin panel on each side when most farmhouse slightly protrude from the base cabinet with a finished return. Even more so, the apron front farmhouse sinks. The farmhouse sink needs to FIT the base cabinets width, they are supported from the sides of the base cabinet. Here's a great link of installed farmhouse sinks.

How wide is your sink base cabinet?

http://www.lavello-sinks.com/gallery-of-installed-sinks.html
  • stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That makes sense, Candace. The cabinet is 32". I think our new one is the same.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Double check the size of the base cabinet (32 would be an uncommon sink base cabinet) prior to purchasing the sink. The install specs for most sinks are easy to obtain so you can take a look at the drawing and instructions to see how it all fits together. :) I sent you the Lavello link, I have purchased 3 sinks from this company and they are beautiful. Our favourite accessory is the removable basket strainer:) And NO i don't work for them.
  • stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, thanks for the link- such pretty sinks. I just checked- it is 30" wide.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    My pleasure :)
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Once you choose your sink, use an 8" plate at the base of the new pullout faucet and you could then shift the faucet to the left with accessories on the right and make it look centered while having a huge, single basin, farmhouse style sink.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/whitehaus-whqdb332-33-quatro-alcove-reversible-double-basin-fireclay-farm-house-sink-with-fluted-apron-front/p957263

http://www.faucetdirect.com/porcher-35140-01-london-36-farmhouse-single-basin-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink-with-offset-drain-and-basin-rack/p1937543
  • stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Elise, that is an interesting idea- so center faucet under the window or shift faucet to the left and have it be a left-side faucet? My cabinet guy said that 30" would be too big for the cabinet. 27" could work but he doesn't know if I could find one...
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Especially if you have a single bay sink. Get the biggest one you can fit into the cabinet, you will love it!
    Stainless steel farmhouse sinks are available in 25-26 " widths.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/schon-sc3317-single-basin-apron-front-kitchen-sink/p905682

http://www.faucetdirect.com/elkay-eluhf2520-gourmet-lustertone-stainless-steel-25-x-20-1-2-single-basin-undermount-kitchen-sink/p149687
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    30" will fit in a 30" sink base more often then not, thats why you need the install specs. The cabinet to the right of your sink base has gable next to the sink base gable. With some minor adjustments the sink base gable can be removed giving you 3/4" extra. Then a new, shorter gable can re reinstalled in the sink base and double for the support too. Don't cheat yourself out of the 30". Have a bit of faith, this is soooooo doable.
  • stephc6137
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I would like it but my cabinet guy said it wouldn't work. I wonder why??
    What is a gable?
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Can you talk to a plumber instead?
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    A gable is the vertical side of a cabinet
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    Anything is possible; the almost impossible just costs more money.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Why don't you get a slimline dishwasher instead of the full sized one. Miele makes wonderful ones and there must be other companies which do as well. They hold 3/4 of what a full sized holds. This will allow you to center the farmhouse sink you want right under the window.....OK?
  • alwaysdesigning
    11 years ago
    I personally wouldn't worry about the off center issue. Get what you love. The upper cabinets could be switched out to chunky open shelves and some slender curtain panels hung on each side of the window
    to disguise the unbalanced look could also work. Placement of the faucet could also help. You won't be on the "bad" list because the sink is off center. Do what you want; enjoy it every day :)
  • Kimberly
    11 years ago
    It would drive me nuts if it was off center in my kitchen. However, I think you should do what feels right to you. That's the great thing about design, it's all your's to play around with. Enjoy your home!
  • buddy111
    11 years ago
    put a dummy one next to the working one..even it out.
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations