Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orlandomomma

What to put above kitchen cabinets in a TALL kitchen?

Orlando Momma
11 years ago
I have 14' tall ceilings in my kitchen and main living area, and I recently remodeled the kitchen with very tall cabinets to utilize some of the space. I am still left with about 3 1/2 feet of empty space above the cabinets. Any suggestions? I am willing to change the wall color from its current cremè de menthe color. Thank you!

Comments (23)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Nice kitchen. The eyes need something at a lower level to focus on. Colored glass pendants would do the trick. A deeper wall color might help, too.
    Joni Spear Interior Design · More Info
  • andoy12
    11 years ago
    Strip light so the area above glows
  • krenrut
    11 years ago
    I think just adding some substantial crown molding plus even a crown enhancer- an extra piece of molding that runs flat on the wall underneath the crown- would really help to soften the distance between ceiling and cabinet top. Notice in the pic above from j222b, there is a very nice crown molding which helps to connect ceiling, wall, and cabinet. It draws the eye down from the ceiling. In fact, it seems like the distance between the cabinet top and ceiling in the picture from j222b and the distance in your kitchen are very similar, but the crown helps to eat up some of that wasted space. They also put boxing on top of the cabinets as well, but I don't think that would be necessary for your kitchen. Please don't put anything above or on top of your cabinets.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    I would paint the walls a deeper, richer shade of green like this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sycamoretree or this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/shadesofspring

But this is my favorite and will add some real spark in the kitchen: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/eccentriclime

Then I would add some rustic vases (see photo) a couple of pictures, A large platter, and rope lights to highlight it all.

Check these links for more ideas:

http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2011/04/above-cabinets.html

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/12-creative-ideas-for-decorating-above-the-cabinets-stsetivw-vs~134818

Hope you will post updates for us!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    I would consider more cabinetry for things not often used....or bookshelves and a library ladder, or mirror the walls above so they disappear.... or wine storage...though not the best climate control for wine...better yet Brunschwig and FIlls had a fabulous wallpaper of wine boxes a couple of years ago...you can bring the drywall out just shy of the edge of the cabinetry and paper it in the wine box or other paper (there is one of glassware...I believe it was Pierre Frey but may only be a fabric...which can be paper backed and hung like a paper. Any paper would work but the wine box paper would be too divine! and really fool the eye! I cannot locate the two aforementioned papers online but have attached a trompe l'oeil brick paper from Urban Outfitters. Hope this helps! :)
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I would put nothing on top of your cabinets, I think anything you put up there will detract from their beauty. If you want to do something with that space, try painting it a different color from the walls.
  • Orlando Momma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your GREAT ideas! I am scheduled to have 7 1/4" contemporary crown molding installed this week (fingers crossed)! I will pick out a deeper color from Ben Moore also, and the rope lights. Just two more questions: would you place the rope lights flush with the wall above the cabinets? Or on the edge of the cabinets, hidden by the small lip of molding?

Thank you!!!!
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Grey is always a cold color. Your cabinets are warm toned. I would use blue for accents.

The rope lights go toward the front. I would put them at the base of the crown molding. If they don't cast enough light (and I think they will) you can always move them up.

I hope you will post updated pictures when you have finished.
  • Orlando Momma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's an update photo on the kitchen. The carpenter is installing 7 1/4" crown as I am writing this! (Yay!). It looks so much better and it's not even close to done. I selected Benjamin Moore Rustique ( saturated brown with hints of red) for the wall color. It looks like a deep rust red, and I hope that it will look good against the maple cabinets and black granite. Thanks again to all for comments. Please keep them coming, as I so appreciate your advice.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Nice!
  • Orlando Momma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Rope lights on top of cabinets for a solid ray of light, or puck aka can lights for separate rays of light? (pointed toward the back wall)I prefer to have understated mood lighting there. I have task lighting under the cabinets already
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Your kitchen is looking very good.

I do not know whether or not lights are "in style" for inside glass fronted cabinets. If I had glass fronted cabinets I would put them in, so I would have the OPTION of turning them on.

Keep posting your progress photos! :)
  • PRO
    Studioworksbieganski
    11 years ago
    An long and narrow abstract painting. That area is also a great place for a simple shrine: a statue of a sitting Buddha and a colorful ceramic vase for dried flowers. "studioworksbieganski"
  • lal929
    11 years ago
    i would add more cabinets extended to the ceiling with a sliding ladder and crown molding
  • andoy12
    11 years ago
    Rope light for a uniform glow -- need to experiment.
  • Orlando Momma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok! Here's the new wall color Rustique. What do you think? (Please ignore the mess!)
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    The Rustique repeats the painting's color beautifully.

A Rustique colored towel on the stove handle + these fallen blossom magnets at the refrigerator to continue the theme?
    White Floral Magnets · More Info
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    I like the new paint color.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Anything but decals!
  • Sheila Steelman
    11 years ago
    I know it's hard but please take the magnets off your fridge and put them on the side where you don't see them...Your kitchen is lovely with the new improvements.
  • Orlando Momma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sheila, I know I know...magnets look terrible. They are funny gifts and mementos. I need to find another home for them
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Great change.