Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llkm24

llkm24
13 years ago
How can I design a pet friendly and human friendly backyard?
Modern Transformation · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Ronique & Co.
    13 years ago
    Pet friendly backyards should have plenty of space to run around, but should also have areas that dogs will not destroy prize winning rose bushes! If you have large animals, consider having a fenced in area, and a 'roam free area'.

Family friendly areas should include a lot of green space, and children's play areas should have soft ground cover such as rubber chips, mulch, or even recycle tire chips. Trees and shaded landscaped areas are also necessary for shade. Hardscape areas such as sidewalks and patios are great for tricycles and playing hop scotch!
  • PRO
    Jason Lee Design Studio, Inc.
    12 years ago
    I completely agree with Ronique. Also, do some research on plants. Don't plant any poisons plants. Some plants bare berries that are poisonous when ingested by animal. It may not effect human, but animal tend to be more susceptible.
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    Designers Gibson and Lee gave you wonderful advice. As a homeowner I'd have to recommend you hire a professional for your landscaping. You can always tell when a home is professionally landscaped. Drive around your neighborhood and see what I mean. Think of some basic things now so you can work with the professional and have them create a yard design you will love. First think about the hardscape areas: dog runs, patios, observe hardscape in your area, photograph and choose a few you like to show the professional. Go to your nursery and choose some plants that you love, take photos and show the professional. You already know you want to use the yard for your family and your pet, but how much grass do you want to care for? What will your family enjoy doing in the backyard?