Should the ceiling of a shower be tiled?

missangel99October 26, 2012
When should and when do you not need to tile this area?
World Class Tiles
It is not a must do. It is a luxury however. You will never have to repaint the area again. FYI if you are installing the yourself make sure to use the proper thin set so the tiles don't fall on your head. Prospec makes a nice product called #525 Lite that is perfect for the job.
    Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:27PM
I agree it's not necessary.

Newton Residence · More Info
    Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:41PM
dmldml
When we redid our shower, we tiled the ceiling. The installer took simple white tiles and tiled the ceiling with the tiles on the diagonal. While we like the look, more importantly, the function is fabulous. The ceiling just wipes clean after every shower, no more water spots, mold forming or peeling. It just feels cleaner and fresher - more spa like. We'll never have to paint that shower ceiling ever again. Worth every penney!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:46PM
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi missangel99, I agree with the other comments, and in answer to your question - the ceiling should be tiled when 1. It is low (less than 8ft), 2. When its part of a steam shower (which requires far more extensive waterproofing too) and 3. When its small (36" square or less) and has 3 walls and a single door.

These are all situations where moisture can build up quickly in the shower and having a tiled ceiling will offset the maintenance issues. They all should also have a good exhaust fan located *inside* the shower too.

Steve
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 6:21PM
missangel99
Thanks BeautifulRemodel.com my shower will have three walls and a single door. Not sure of the square footage yet. Think I'll have the ceiling tiled to keep maintenance to a minimum. Thanks for all the comments.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 9:14PM
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
I've lived in houses of my own design with both semi gloss/drywall shower ceilings and tile ceilings. Speaking from experience, for a shower that will get everyday use, I believe it is essential to tile the ceiling for the reasons others have noted above.

That said, having lived with fully tiled showers in my last two houses, I've decided that in my next one we will do stone (probably marble) slabs for at the walls and shower bench to avoid the ongoing problem of grout joints collecting muck. I would still do tile on the floor to create necessary slope, and the ceiling could go either tile or slab. I'm also going to see what I can do to configure the shower to avoid a glass door, as that is yet another maintenance headache....
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 9:27PM
beachinmom
We're building and ours will be tiled. I want floor to ceiling glass so no cold air escapes which almost makes it like a steam shower. Although it is a 9 ft. ceiling, i am still tiling and taking the door up all the way.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 11:06PM
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Sounds good beachinmom....although you say you will not be providing steam, you may want to consider providing a slight slope to the shower ceiling as is recommended for steam showers.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 10:57AM
missangel99
I agree tiled ceiling it is. We have always tiled the ceilings until just recently when the Tile installer said we didn't need to. I have always loved the ease of tiling the ceiling, just thought it might be outdated to tile it again.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 4:34PM
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
great...glad to be of help. Please post pics post project!
    Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:17PM
This wall needs help
The ceilings are 14' and yes that is a big horn sheep...
Lisa Wilhelm
I need help decorating around an awkward fireplace/hearth.
I realize this is an awkward space. The mantle is too...
jnmmom
Recycled Salvage Design
Studebaker Truck Tailgate Bench
Recycled Salvage Design
Recycled Salvage Design
need help with choosing a tub
What qualities for choosing a bath tub should a person...
fannie1206