Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baileyteach

Original oak trim.. eww:( What to do!?!

baileyteach
11 years ago
Alright, I get it. Painting the original oak trim in my house would be a sin AND devalue the home. :( But what if I hate the look of it. Is there a way to have white trim and not devalue my home? Am I the only person who thinks wood trim looks outdated and dirty? I want a modern, clean and shabby chic look to my home.
The upstairs trim is white, and if it was the other way (white trim on main floor and wood trim upstairs) I would be a happy girl!

Should I just paint it white to make myself happy, and devalue my home:(?

Could I remove the original oak trim, store it until i'm ready to sell the home and get new trim that I like?

Is there a way to refinish the oak wood trim to make it look more modern, clean and make the floors pop as well as white trim would?

Unless there is a color of paint that would really go with the wood floors and trim, I don't think just painting the walls is enough. Any wall paint suggestions would be nice.

What are my options here??? HELP!

Comments (74)

• Claudia
    11 years ago
    Nothing makes a room look fresher that crisp white trim on the windows.
  • PRO
    Prime Siding and General Carpentry
    11 years ago
    Do not use a radiator cover as a shelf. Heat rises, so the top of the cover should be allowed to vent heat up as well as out the front. This will allow for optimal air circulation from the heat source.
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    [houzz=
    Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
    ][houzz=
    City: McDougald Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Classic Coastal Colonial Foyer · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Pictures · More Info
    ][houzz=][houzz=
    Stairs · More Info
    ]
  • mmonika
    11 years ago
    Paint it :-) You will still be able to see the grain of the wood after painting so when its time to sell, you can still post OAK trim and just let the next people decide what to do :-) Real wood trim does look different then those cheap mdf boards and it will be beautiful :-)
  • eckjunebug
    11 years ago
    I love the look of having the walls and trim all the same color, in an older home like yours. Very crispy clean and cool. I would absolutely go with white.
  • eckjunebug
    11 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/98666

This isn't the best picture of the idea of all white... But sort of. You could play with some wall color in a couple rooms, but the main living areas all white, with some added great art, would make for a very cool look.
  • PRO
    Prime Siding and General Carpentry
    11 years ago
    I don't think you'll see any grain by painting your wood trim. It looks stained and clear coated, which means the paint will never touch the actual wood, just the clear coat.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Paint it an enjoy. It's your house! :-)
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    Before you paint, find everything you have to do to it. Consult an expert. They don't have to know why you want to do it, and you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. But to do it right and have it look professional, educate yourself.

And not too white.

That oak is gorgeous, though. Is your house a craftsman style or just an old house?
  • jweber71
    11 years ago
    I will give you the advice once given to me - don't paint 300 year old furniture or anything crafted by a pilgrim but paint the oak trim - we did it in our home and now have a uniform crisp white trim throughout and we LOVE it - you are blessed to have all of the builtins - I would paint it in a heartbeat but I would have it done by a pro if you can stomach the cost. I went with a pure white which requires two coats after primer so it is pricey BUT I prefer crisp white white rather than the decorator white that many painters will try to offer - its easier on them but has a cool tone that I don't like as much as the crisp white. Please place pictures when it's completed. Your home is beautiful.
  • dawnbc1
    11 years ago
    I didn't paint the oak trim in my last house and I wanted to. Finally sold the house and the first thing the new owner did was paint the trim. Does that help? ;)
  • kitter
    11 years ago
    .One should decorate to match a house's style, not ruin it by imposing whatever decor is popular at the moment e.g. shabby chic., 29 years ago, everyone was stripping paint off fireplace brick & oak trim, cursing previous owners. 20 years ago they'll probably be doing it again.
    Instead, embrace & embellish your house's personal style which includes wonderful wood. You're lucky it's not cheap, 60's mahogany.
  • margaret700
    11 years ago
    Most of the homes in Colonial America had painted woodwork!
  • Stewart Colley
    11 years ago
    Oak is expensive and beautiful. Save the paint for cheapo stuff.
  • vardanega
    11 years ago
    making a house beautiful IS increasing the value. Paint!
  • Lisa Hartmann
    11 years ago
    I am in the long and tedious process of painting out all my oak trim. But it's worth it!! I had so many people tell me not to do it, but now when they see it they are amazed. You do what you want to do. It's your house and you have to live there
  • margaret700
    11 years ago
    One thing I will say about natural woodwork, It is very easy to take care of. My kitchen and bathroom woodwork are painted and I am forever cleaning and painting them. The rest of the house is all natural and I just wipe it down every so often. It never shows the dirt and of course never needs to be painted, which is a very big job.
  • gunnsharon
    11 years ago
    Well I thought I wanted all natural wood trim when we installed our new hardwood floors, We replaced our narrow 70's floor, door and window moldings through the complete house with wider more detailed custom wood molding. We painted it white . A great craftsman did the carpentry work and we painted. After two coats of bin primer and sanding and two coats of finish low sheen white waterbased laquer it looks and feels fantastic. If I was to go this route again I would have professional painters they would have it done much faster, Go for it paint it white but if you can have professional painters in as it is a big job to do every room in a your home and as well put up with the mess and turmoil over a long period.
  • kah416
    11 years ago
    It's your home, so do what you feel like! I LOVE the original woodwork but my 1916 house has white painted trim and I LOVE it...it just freshens things up and makes it look bright. You could leave some parts of the trim the original wood and have other parts/rooms painted white...??? I don't think you can go wrong with white, I love it. Our staircase is white and original wood and it compliments very well. I love your wall color!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    This looks like an original early 20th century home (Foursquare?) that was stripped and refinished to a lighter shade back when honey oak was popular. Originally the floors probably would have been finished with an amber shellac (about the color they are now) and the wood would have had a darker finish.

Generally only some bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms had painted finishes in this style of house, and a lesser wood, such as pine or poplar, would have been used if it was intended to be painted. Oak has an open grain that may show through paint and is generally more expensive than other woods. I see you have strapwork on the ceilings too. Somebody went through a huge amount of work to do all that and if you are thinking about selling in the future, it would be a shame to cover all of it up. However, it would be possible to lightly sand and refinish to a darker shade.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/techniques/archive/2012/04/09/t-amp-t-sip-t-ps-amp-techniques-for-fantastic-oak-finishes.aspx
    http://www.monicawantsit.com/2012/02/staining-oak-cabinets-espresso-color.html

As Kah416 suggested, perhaps you could select just areas to paint so the next owner isn't cursing you out, because styles and tastes change every 15-20 years or so. In about 5-10 years all that "clean" woodwork will start to lose its luster and show signs of wear and start to chip, so it will be repainted and eventually be a big mess. If that is as long as you want it to last, do the next owners a favor and sand very lightly so the paint strips off fairly easily..

One area that is particularly hard to strip and to paint is the inside frames of windows and it can cause to make them hard to open if not done with great care. This becomes a greater problem with each coat. of paint. Stripping paint from panelled doors and trim is also difficult, and handrailings, newel posts and any place with deep crevices. I think the staircase is particularly beautiful and would only paint the banisters, if anything. They have such a slender graceful shape. The mantel, the built ins (but not the pink color) and the French doors are beautiful too.

Keeping those outstanding features and only painting the flat casings(window frames, door frames, inside built-ins and baseboards) could be a compromise and look nice too and take less time. And I have seen shabby chic done with natural wood finishes in the mix..
  • Jane Fowler
    11 years ago
    I agree, use a creamier white, not white-white. We "toned" down all the really white on our trim and it really made a nice difference!
  • Jane Fowler
    11 years ago
    I agree, use a creamier white, not white-white. We "toned" down all the really white on our trim and it really made a nice difference!
  • Ljiljana Pejic
    11 years ago
    Oh dear, you are sitting on the fence and now we all are giving more advice that do not mach!!
    I had hard time deciding should I paint - and in which colour - my wooden kitchen cabinets - and decided to go with the white-wash so that it is lighter, it shows wood grain, and it still can be re-painted/striped; of course - the colour turned to be sandy-off-white which I still have not changed!! So if you like shaby - there you are! I don't know how white wash will look combined with plain white upstairs..
    And I agree with 'lionnessone' - particulary like pic of Arden Park..ideas of combining it with ebony...are also interesting..
    I do not think that plain wood does not need additional care - it does, it maybe just ages more gracefully, and does not show so much...My final word: too much of too bright white(walls, trims..) looks hospital-like !
    Hmm, good luck to you!!
  • my3bears
    11 years ago
    my home has wood trim with a white stain (white wash) I have a very light look with wood grain. The best of both worlds! Love it.
  • mtnparkway
    11 years ago
    I'm going through the same dilemma. We just purchased a 1925 craftsman with woodwork in the adjoining living and dining rooms. The detailing is beautiful but I wanted to paint the woodwork for a fresh, clean look. Everyone told me not to do it so of course I didn't. Now I'm unhappy with the whole look. I struggled for 2 weeks to find a wall paint color that complimented the caramel colored woodwork but it's still not working for me. If you have painted, congrats...wish I had done the same. These comments have me considering a "do-over"
  • PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    11 years ago
    I am jealous of your woodwork. I find myself wanting to say don't paint it. I do like the idea of staining it in ebony like someone suggested. I think it would give it a more contemoporary feel and would not be shabby chic at all. Unless your home is historical and has all original everything else, I guess you can just paint over it. Please let us know what you do!
  • margaret700
    11 years ago
    I hope baileyteach lets us know what she decides to do! I can't wait to hear...
  • baileyteach
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Alright, my gut is telling me to start painting. Now to choose white white or a creamy white? And figure out how to do it all myself. I have 6 months before I'm moving in, so I have enough time to do it myself without hiring a professional. And what to do with the fireplace. I may leave the wood finish on the fireplace.

I'm thinking light gray walls with white wood furniture with a tan rug on the floor tan couch and colorful chairs.
    OR
    Beige walls with black wood furniture with a tan rug on the floor, tan couch and colorful chairs.

Any help hints? Window coverings? Fireplace ideas? Stairs ideas?

Or should I stain everything ebony instead?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Antique white is better than white white for your style of house, and prime first. Ebony is a bit dark for that kind of woodwork--walnut or mahogoney is more like it.

Perhaps you can finid an inconspicuous corner to experiment a bit on the baseboard in a back hallway or something, or clear coat a piece of Oak and try it out. If you keep the fireplace, I would consider keeping some of the other woodwork too, like the built ins and the paneling by the staircase.

If you posted inspirational photos from Houzz it will help others to help you with the decor.
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    It looks like a craftsman house, which means wood everywhere....but it is your house so do what will make you feel that you home is raising up to greet you every time you walk in the door.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Try one window and see how it goes.
    If it goes well and you like it and enjoy it, then continue!

HOWEVER, I HATE TO PAINT!

I hate to paint trim and/or walls.
    I end up with a big mess and paint everywhere, so I no longer even try.

However, I can use homemade chalk paint or milk paint on old furniture finds and
    even my mother-in-law is impressed.
  • baileyteach
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Alright friends, I have painted the living room and dining room, what do you think???
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I think the color really brings out the floors. I think I would have picked a more taupe or greige (warm grey), but it could work with some art and color and a bigger rug. The light fixture seems oddly placed. I would get radiator covers or paint them (a total pain) to match the walls.

The dining room table might relate better with some seat cushions in a light color or stripe with the grey and brown tones in it. I could also see the table in white or something to contrast with all the chairs, or maybe having fewer on the sides so you can see more than a jumble of legs. If there is any way to lower the light (nice period style and nice white shades) that would make it feel more intimate. The rug is too small under the table--the chairs almost feel like they might fall off if you pull them out. like they are huddled on a raft :). Perhaps the rug in the living room would work.

So what kind of accent colors are you planning to use?
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    I think it looks great. The cooler color looks much better. Are you happier with the wood trim now that you've painted the walls?

I don't know what your plan is for window coverings, but the current shades have a yellow cast that is jarring. I would remove them until you decide what to do. You could even replace them with those cheap paper accordion shades from Home Depot in the meantime.
  • Stewart Colley
    11 years ago
    It looks marvelous! I agree withvictorianbungalowranch (wow what a long name) a larger rug and some art on the all will make it look even better. I really like the color you chose.
  • margaret700
    11 years ago
    Excellent! Did you decide not to paint the woodwork? I'm glad because it's so nice. You've done a beautiful job.
  • baileyteach
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Victorian, I love your vision! My accent colors will be cream and red, deep red, not maroon though. I'll have to talk my husband into a bigger rug, those things are expensive! I really haven't looked much for finishing touches, like seat cushions, but that will come with time.

Grover, I am more comfortable with the wood actually now. And the window coverings will come with time. Those curtains are the cheapies that came already in our house. I'm thinking of some cream very light curtains, with honeycomb blinds the help energy costs.

Any helpful decor tips would be great, like what kinds of furniture to buy and furniture placement, wall decor ideas, what to do with the electronics on the fire place, etc.
  • jillmeng
    11 years ago
    Love the walls. Now finish the look. PAINT THE TRIM! You will be soooooo happy you did. The house is very pretty. The trim will make it gorgeous!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Deep red is one of my favorite colors. I especially like tribal type rugs and ethnic embroidery and such, and found that I was always drawn to the reds. Handwoven rugs are expensive, but the flat weaves aren't so bad and beautiful too, and pillows can be not so bad if you look around, esp. just the covers.

Rugs are expensive==I think Rugs USA has some decent sales if you watch for them, and World Market is pretty good on side chairs and such. I love old Danish Modern, which is becoming quite popular these days, and it is a cousin to the bungalow, I think.

Pottery Barn has some nice plush ones--I hesitated on one on clearance because the colors were more muted than I wanted and it added up to get the biggest size, and because I impulsively ordered a smaller one on One Kings Lane just prior. Still regret that I didn't get it. the prices never get lower than clearance except sometimes for the small ones.

Speaking of One Kings Lane, sometimes they have some interesting stuff for reasonable prices--it is all over the map that way. Fun to look at, and periodically have nice outdoor rugs on special., which can work well in high traffic areas and in the dining room.

Stenciled floorcloths are very period, and quite practical because you can just sweep the crumbs off. You can even make them on the backside of a piece of scrap vinyl. Cutting Edge Stencils has some great ones and you can google directions on how to make a floorcloth. Then you could put the dining room rug in the living room to create another seating or work area, perhaps under the pendant.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    It looks very nice... I'm not into the sofa on an angle but it's hard to see the entire room. Perhaps centering it opposite FP will look better. A couple of kilim ottomans, bench, or chairs would add some interest and will give you the red as well as other hues I think you could introduce. The light fixtures can be sprayed with Rustoleum in oil rubbed bronze finish---will freshen them up a bit. Both need to be lowered-one at stairs, place a round table underneath and chair(s). Pics for inspiration. Looking forward to more photos. Good Luck!
    [houzz=][houzz=
    Living Room to Lobby · More Info
    ] http://www.mixfurniture.com/Los_Angeles_Antique_Furniture_Store_ShowProduct.cfm?productID=2345
    http://shop.yurdan.com/Catalog/Products/Index/43339/kilim-stool-31989
  • jillmeng
    10 years ago
    You know you want to or you wouldn't be contemplating this to such an extent....PAINT THE TRIM!!!
  • margaret700
    10 years ago
    How about an update, bailyteach. Would love to see some pictures.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Looks great -- i am building a new home, but with period style detailing - and am using similar stained craftsman style wood trim -- i wrestled with the idea of stained oak vs paint for a while, but a lot of people use the painted stuff merely so they can cut material costs it seems (not in all cases) --- i wanted a timeless look (others told me to use Maple, maple is all the rage now too ) but stained oak will continue to quietly soldier on for decades more as a nice traditional trim material -- not the cheapest , i just got the bill for my 6 panel solid core doors - egads - but my home will hopefully be enjoyed by me for many years, ----- then if my descendants want to paint it all white, more power to 'em i guess
  • PRO
    Minnesota Cabinets, INC
    10 years ago
    Paint it white! If the upstairs is already white, they should match. Also, it's your home! If you resell it, it could add value to those who like white! White is very in right now. :)
  • Janice Robinson
    10 years ago
    Paint it! It's not like the oak gods are going to come after you!
  • Dorenda Clink
    10 years ago
    Everyone is always saying it will devalue your home, but think about the bulk of todays homebuyers...under forty, modern, chic, granite, luxury. No one is ever looking for stained or poly wood. I'm mid forties and when I sell my home I will not be looking for wood trim and I'll probably bypass any I have to paint myself. Wood is nice but its not todays contemporary look that us Youngins are looking for
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    Folks, this post is almost two years old. I don't think advice is still needed for the OP, though others may want to discuss their own trim painting dilemmas.
  • donnatoma
    10 years ago
    Paint it now! Enjoy the clean look of crisp, white wood trim!
  • krispysoda
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Buy a new house. If you don't like beautiful old wood please for the love of God buy a new house!
  • Valerie Turnell
    8 years ago

Paint your table lighter! If you like shabby chic go with country chic paint!

I'd paint table the same as your walls and maybe a red for the chairs!