February 25, 2011 in Photo Questions
What type of metal is this?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Annie Thornton
This, I believe, is Corten steel. It is a steel alloy that turns this reddish/orange from weathering. The rust appearance actually strengthens the material. It becomes this color after a few years of exposure.
February 25, 2011 at 11:08AM     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Annie Thornton
Just to add some more information about cor-ten, by dad just sent this to me:

It's what we call a high strength, low alloy steel. It can be had in all shapes ( plate, bar and tube ). One of the things it's alloyed with is copper so it will rust on the outside but the rust forms a barrier that preserves the steel underneath. It will never need painting and during the summer it is perfectly colored for it's backdrop. Cor-ten is used a lot for bridges and in ship building.
March 1, 2011 at 8:58AM     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Anniekendall, Thanks so much for all the information!
April 15, 2011 at 8:10AM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Annie Thornton
No problem. If you haven't already, make sure you check out John Hill's ideabook on cor-ten steel.

April 15, 2011 at 8:57AM     
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Hang mirror horizontally or vertically?
I purchased the Eagan mirror from Pottery Barn to hang...
please help i have no idea where to stsrt
bathroom, I rent so I don't want to do a lot to it...
What to put in the wall space over the tv?
Hello, this is my family room. I think thee are too...
Advantage Staffing Network Ltd.
Make Advantage Staffing Network Ltd. your first call...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™