Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlighter

starlighter
13 years ago
What's a better shower enclosure-shower door or shower curtain?
Kid's bathroom · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Ronique & Co.
    13 years ago
    If you mean better in terms of keeping water in the shower. I would say a shower door. Shower curtains depend on the user taking the time to keep the liner on the inside of the tub, etc... while shower doors close every time (unless malfunctioning) :)

• hapahaole
    12 years ago
    With kids, having a shower curtain has been much easier than dealing with a shower door. Most kids are given baths and that usually leaves the parent sitting on the floor leaning over into the tub. If you have a shower door, then automatically half the leaning area is taken over by the door. And then you also end up with that rail on the bath edge jabbing you as you lean over. I vote shower curtain.
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    Depends on your situation:

If you're short on space, on a tight budget and are using a tub/shower combo - a curtain is the way to go, preferably a nylon hotel-style so that you're not worried about multiple layers and those nasty vinyl liners...
    ...but with a bit more money, a single swing-away clear glass panel can work well - it doesn't need to go all the way across the tub for it to be effective, and there are no gutters to keep clean.

My least favorite solution are those sliding shower doors - one half of the tub is always closed off, and the frames/gutters are a royal pain to keep clean.

My favorite solution is a large shower with no enclosure at all, or just a single fixed glass panel - No fuss, no muss!
  • jamiejerrod
    11 years ago
    What is the best way to keep the glass from getting water spots?
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    I like glass doors for showers, but not when the shower is over the bathtub. For that arrangement I prefer a shower curtain which pulls back out of the way when not in use. It gives you an opportunity to add some nice decorative fabric to the bathroom too (with a waterproof liner of course).
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Jamie, we use a squeegie everyday when we are finished with the shower. We have a huge walk in shower. I also take a small amount of CLR onto a sponge once a week and wash the shower doors and rinse. Just be sure to not allow any of the CLR onto your grout, if you have any, as it will bleach it. I've had our shower doors almost 7 years and have ZERO soap scum or water spots.

Our guest bathroom has a tub with shower doors. Debated about doors or curtain. But with the tile work that I chose, there was no way I was going block the view of that. So, shower doors. Yes, it is a little more difficult to give a child a bath with them, but not something to change my mind on my decision. It's only a few years until they are jumping in and out of the shower anyway.

Oh, both sets of our doors are the framless kind, so no problem with gunk in a track, etc
  • PRO
    Anastasia Faiella Interior Design
    11 years ago
    A shower door is most likely better, depends on your needs and over look you are going for the design!
    This is a custom shower curtain we had made for this designed space.
    Thanks!
    Anastasia