Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Fruit in a bowl or in the fridge?

Emily H
9 years ago

Do you keep your fresh fruit out on the counter or do you refrigerate it?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (Photos encouraged)

Gramercy Park, NYC · More Info

Fruit Bowl
Refrigerator
Other - tell us below

Comments (87)

• User
    9 years ago

Depends on the fruit and how room or fridge temp will affect taste and freshness

• imsingingintherain2
    9 years ago
    I use both. Most stuff stays in the bowl, until the older things in the fridge are gone, then I move the fruit in.
  • waylin9
    9 years ago

I put fresh fruit in a basket on the counter. It always disappears in a few days.

• ellintodd29
    9 years ago

bananas in bowl, apples in fridge, cittris in bowl, pineapple in bowl, unripe fruit in bowl, ripe fruit in fridge except for bananas.

• Somehowsophisticated
    9 years ago

Both...sometimes cold fruit is awesome! Some fruit, plain and simple, refrigerator is best - lasts longer. However, keeping some fruit in a bowl on the counter is both pretty AND you will eat more fruit!

• belisima
    9 years ago
    Both, it really depends on the fruit.
  • Rose Beaulieu
    9 years ago

Both for me too. Apples, strawberries, blueberries in the fridge. Bananas , oranges, clementines in a bowl.

• Lisa Sakoutis
    9 years ago

Put your fruit where the moon don't shine...in your mouth!!!

• Jaime Woodard
    9 years ago

I always keep some fruit in a pretty bowl on the counter because I want to eat more fruit. If I can see it...and it does look pretty...I'm more likely to choose fruit for a snack. Interior decorating for better nutrition!

• gcnu
    9 years ago

Refrigerate cherimoya, but keep physolis, durian and rambutan on display in a bowl. Display mangosteen until cracked open; then refrigerate. Jackfruit needs its own table as it is too large for most bowls.

• redecoratingtropicalcalm
    9 years ago
    My teeth are really sensitive to the cold so I've always kept mine out. I can't even think about biting into a cold apple. ....ouch
  • Lisa
    9 years ago
    I keep lemons, oranges, bananas, apples on the table. I keep potatoes and sweet potatoes in bowls on the kitchen counter. We eat all the fruit too quickly for anything to go bad.
  • organizedsarah
    9 years ago

Things that will last are left on the counter in a pretty wire bowl. Things like berries are stored in the fridge to keep them from spoiling so fast.

• ammi19
    9 years ago
    I like my fruits nice and cold so I keep everything refrigerated
  • misstru
    9 years ago
    Depends on the fruit apples, grapes, berries ect in the refrigerator bananas and tomatoes on the counter
  • Olena Tkach
    9 years ago

Some fruits on the counter for we to notice and eat them and other in fridge to keep them fresh. I just noticed that when all the fruits are in the fridge we just forget about them and eat less fruits while they are spoiling there. So you have to see some fruits to have your healthy eating =)

• Rita Johnson-Samuel
    9 years ago
    C ec
  • Rita Johnson-Samuel
    9 years ago
    Ccxqq
  • tremroy
    9 years ago
    Except for banana I usually keep fruits in refrigerator. Actually tried to keep on counter to try and mirror the look we see in magazines. But they ripe and spoil way too fast....
  • faye0320
    9 years ago

Although fruits and vegies look stunning in the bowl, almost all fruits and vegetables should be placed in separate containers and refrigerated, except for tomatoes, onions, potatoes, garlic, bananas (once ripened should be kept in the fridge as well) .

• grannymarg
    9 years ago
    Depends on the fruit!!!!!!!
  • Paula Parker
    9 years ago
    Depends. Apples, berries, plums go in the fridge. Oranges, bananas, lemons are on counter top in bowl.
  • katwald
    9 years ago
    Both ?? some in the fridge some on the counter
  • Najeebah
    9 years ago
    My mum puts it in the fridge. My gran says, 'if they see it, they'll eat it.' And keeps a bowl. I too, keep it out. Cold fruit kills taste
  • User
    9 years ago
    Same here as Najeebah. I don't buy so much at once, but I keep it out and buy fresh produce frequently.
  • Barb Diemert
    9 years ago
    Lol silly poll.....
  • chabor
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I set fruit in rectangular white stoneware on my kitchen table. In Fall, it's apples or pears or persimmons. I turn apples or pears into pie or sauce. In Winter, it's citrus or pomegranates. In Spring, it's lemons or mangoes. Fruit does double duty as a fresh decor item and as food.

My kitchen counter has a pedestal on which I arrange fruits, which may include bananas, apples, oranges, citrus and avocado. I will move things to fridge to extend life a few more days.

Tomatoes sit on window sil facing north.

I use a 3 tiered metal basket hanging in my garage for onions, potatoes and some times fruit. Not in Summer though. Here in Oregon, Summers get too warm to store produce in our SW facing garage.

• lupeandconsuela
    9 years ago

In a humid climate like Houston (even with central air), fruit tends to ripen and mold quickly. If you plan on using within 2-3 days citrus does okay; apples not so much, and bananas will have to be eaten within a couple of days.

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    9 years ago

Both, the best of both worlds :)

• Jenny
    9 years ago
    Other: Berries, apples, peaches, pears, and plums in the fridge. Citrus and bananas out on the counter.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I vote for fruit in a bowl in the refrigerator.

• cindycinms
    9 years ago
    In the Southern US, fruit left out attracts fruit gnats and other insects, so it must be kept in containers.
  • Alice Costa-Sievert
    9 years ago

Apples in the fridge (unless I'm trying to do an impromptu arrangement for a pop of color) and citrus in a bowl

• zumaroselm
    9 years ago

Both. I try to make a fruit salad with fruit in season a couple of times a week and keep that in the fridge. Citrus, bananas, avocados on the counter, fresh apples in the fridge.

• pdk920
    9 years ago

The poll is only silly because there's no one right answer. Too many kinds of fruit, different temperatures, how fast the family uses it up. Both places make sense.

• Joanne Charamella
    9 years ago
    In the fridge until mealtime, then it's moved to the table where people feel comfortable taking a piece from your pretty arrangements. It's just decoration if it sits in a bowl all day.
  • Joanne Charamella
    9 years ago
    I can't stop looking at those cabinets and hardware. I could sure use cabinets in place of soffits in my small kitchen.
  • Julie Westmaas
    9 years ago
    Some fruit I keep in the fridge, especially if it is very ripe. I keep bananas and oranges, apples, and pears in a basket on the counter. Berries and grapes go in fridge always.
  • Teena
    9 years ago

This isn't a silky poll to me. I'm an October baby and when that time comes around, I need to see (and smell) the beautiful shapes and colors of fruit and vegetables. Which to keep out and the duration depends on the item, but yeah, they are a MUST DISPLAY at our crib!

• chloebud
    9 years ago

I agree certain fruits should be stored in the fridge. We have lemon, lime and avocado trees, and I love seeing them out on display. We get navel oranges from a neighbor, so those get set out, too.

In the fall it's pumpkins...which are considered a fruit. Love them and have them everywhere.

• kpappal
    9 years ago
    I have learned that if I separate bananas and put them in my pantry where it is cool and dark, they last much longer than leaving them on the counter. Try it!
  • janroze
    9 years ago

Both, depending on the fruit and its condition.

No question or poll is dumb if it helps someone to learn: children, newlyweds, or one so poor they grew up without fruit in the house.

If the poll is so offensive to you, don't get high blood pressure over it, just skip it and move on with your life. Don't spew your venom for the rest of us to read - that really is a waste of my time.

• janroze
    9 years ago

BTW, I AM 75 AND EAT A BANANA EVERY DAY. I LEARNED MORE ABOUT BANANAS FROM THIS POLL.

THANKS.

• Louise Davis
    9 years ago
    I keeps fruit in a bowl or platter. It gives easy access so I can eat it right away.
  • Laura Roulston
    8 years ago
    If it's refrigerated I the store, it's refrigerated at home.
  • obenoskey
    8 years ago
    We have limited countertop space so my wife asked me to make this "fruit wall". It works great
  • Ray
    8 years ago

Depends on the fruit, but my family eats it much better if it is out where they can see it. So many fruits stay out. For others -- like grapes -- I put some in a bowl on the counter and leave the rest in the fridge, refreshing the bowl each day until the batch is gone. Helps them stay good longer but not be overlooked for easy-to-grab snacks.

• carlalula54
    8 years ago

In Florida everything ripens quite quickly so I can keep some fruits in a bowl for a brief period, but for the most part I keep them in my beverage cellar which keeps them "cool" not cold and it seems to work wonderfully.

• PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    8 years ago
    Love it out on the island
  • ngiapapa
    8 years ago

It depends on the fruit. Apples, bananas, oranges, tangerines, grenades and other hard peel fruit (generally speaking) can remain in a bowl for a reasonable amount of time while others like grapes, strawberries, apricots, medlars need to be refrigerated by all means.