Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielac80

Need help with wall art above couch.

danielac80
11 years ago
I've been living in my current home for 7 months and I still have not found wall art to hang above the couch. I'm so confused between choosing an oversized canvas or sets of canvas or framed art. I've also tossed around the idea of some sort of metal art. Please help!!

Comments (32)

• Sally Marks
    11 years ago
    would love to see pics of the entire space if possible!?!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There is really no right or wrong decisions with art, as long as the overall composition is balanced.

John Wilson Siddall House · More Info

Parade of Homes Fall 2011 · More Info
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    PS...I see an "orb" in your picture. You have a guardian angel looking out for you. :)
  • putter2
    11 years ago
    Set of three large prints or abstract art, depending in your taste.....maybe lose the little black shelf, and flank the couch with two good-looking standing lamps.
  • danielac80
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions. I can't really move the sofa over that much but I was planning on adding a floor lamp on the other side. I'll add more photos in the morning. To the left of the couch is my dining table and the same wall behind it also needs some wall decor. I've searched high and low for some wall art but I guess i've had too many options and can't decide.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    11 years ago
    Art is so personal. What do you love? Do you love landscapes or seascapes, flowers, people, animals?
  • putter2
    11 years ago
    What about three large photographs that you've taken and blown up? I wide frames?
  • shesme
    11 years ago
    I don't know where you live, but most communities have arts associations where local artists exhibit their work. Also, public libraries in most places mount exhibitions of local artists' work. So do frame shops. (Indeed, much of the cost of artwork is the price for the frame.)
    If there are no galleries near you at all (what a shame that would be!), many artists sell their work online. Work by local artists does not cost a lot: it's comparable in price to what you would pay for a reproduction or assembly line work in a furniture store, but it's usually MUCH more interesting to live with, and you will have met the artist who can tell you the story of the piece.
    Building a small collection of works of original art is the way to go, in my opinion. Just start small and go with what you like.
  • clindsay3406
    11 years ago
    How about a VERY large black and white photograph? I took some photos in the south of France, and had them made into a very large print. Also, Ikea has some really nice huge photos already framed.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    The sofa just 6-7" left would look a lot better. It looks "squished" now.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Because your living room area is quite small, I would suggest a triptych of something that expands the room, a sweeping view or seascape like this one. I also chose this for the blue you have used as an accent colour. I would also suggest removing the shelf and moving the sofa any inches you can.
  • Lorrie Olson
    11 years ago
    I would like to see maybe a collage of mirrors! more then just two and of many sizes with a couple sconces with candles.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Do you like horses? This would be pretty above your sofa.
    Horses at Rest Giclee by Patrick Wright · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Art is hard to choose. We all have our own tastes. Choose what rocks your boat and works with the room. Definately slide the sofa to the left, looks shoved into the corner. Needs space around it. If there is no room for an end table on the right side of the sofa, on the right wall, you could mount a wall shelf, (like what you've done but larger and lower). Width at least 6"-8" or more deep and 24" long, mounted from the front of sofa arm and at 2" below the arm height of the sofa. This would serve as an end table.

Try moving the carpet in the other direction. The long side in front of the sofa.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Artwork for dining room and sofa area should be treated as two separate areas. Maybe a large mirror at the dining table and art on sofa wall.
  • loribeth1
    11 years ago
    Regardless of what's to the left you should slide the couch down a little to the left. If you don't the room will never work in harmony and I feel u will constantly find fault in anything u try to place over your couch. I also would recommend a hanging arm lamp on the right and depending on the size of your room, mirrors might help to open it up and give it a flow thru effect. I would also do away with the shelf to the right and it will create a little more balance when u go to place something behind the couch you then will begin to feel the flow and know what to place on the side. The couch is amazing and I love the rug. The basic design idea is stellar I'm this room! Where did the couch come from? It's a perfect fit for what I'm wanting!!
  • danielac80
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments. I still don't know about moving the couch especially since my tv is centered on the wall in from of it and i having a dining table next to the couch. The couch isn't completely against the wall. When I purchase a floor lamp I will try moving the couch over a few inches and putting it in that corner.

loribeth1...thank you...the couch is from Raymour and Flannigan.
    Darzy...i do like horses but not sure if i would want to look at that painting all the time.

I like abstract art or black and white photos of architecture and location such as paris or ny.

I'm attaching more pics to get a better idea of the space.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions!!
  • PRO
    Contemporary Art by Jennifer Flannigan
    11 years ago
    Art is so personal and it has to just speaks to you. A lot of the time when I do a custom piece for a client the question I ask first is what colors are you attracted to and go from there. Especially when it comes to abstract art. Your colors are really neutral so you can really do whatever you want in that room. I think a two panel piece with multiple colors and lots of texture would really bring some life to the room and give it a great focal point. Have you tried Etsy? There are so many talented artists on there. I would just do a search on there with whatever size you need, colors you love, under abstract art and I am sure you will find something great. Saatchi online is another fabulous site to find original art and prints.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    This is pretty.. 3' x 2 '
    "Shoreline" Unframed Canvas Art by Caroline Gold · More Info
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I agree to turn the rug the other direction. That way, the rug will be as long as the sofa. Also, the "diamond" shape's longest length will go the same direction as your wood floor. Just have the rug on the foot of the sofa (on the non-chaise side).
  • Marti Lindsey
    11 years ago
    Love the idea of a round mirror. Also you could try a series of botanical prints.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Art ideas
    Artwork · More Info
    Artwork · More Info
    Artwork · More Info
  • nicole3806
    11 years ago
    I LOVE that area rug! Where did you get it?
  • nicole3806
    11 years ago
    What if you took down the shelf and put a nice sized mirror there. That would help make the space seem larger. You can always put the self on another wall. It seems a little to small for that spot. I see something big over your couch. OR what would be cool... Let me find a pic hang on
  • nicole3806
    11 years ago
    Ok I found quiet a few pictures so stick with me. The first picture is the hanging layout I was thinking. But in number twos colors which matches your space. Light blues, whites, creams ect. Number three is really cool and would work with your self ideas and carry that further. Number four is adding character to the walls with being able to use more minimal art work. And I love number 5 since it would help add texture to the room
  • capecodgal
    11 years ago
    If you cannot move the couch over because of the tv, I would suggest three large size art pieces almost equal to the width of each couch cushion. Or perhaps a beautiful large rectangular mirror almost the length of the sectional. Also, what about applying grasscloth or another type of cool wallpaper for visual interest along the wall with the door. It would immediately draw the eye to that area and also solve the issue of drawing the eye immediately to the couch feeling too close to that corner. I also would remove the black shelf and photos. It is not the right "scale" for that area.
  • nicole3806
    11 years ago
    This is number 5.
    Also have you thought about getting some baskets for the floor ect? The room would look nice with a large storage basket. It would add texture and visual interest.
  • nicole3806
    11 years ago
    Also you have a lot of dark wood. I love the show on hgtv Sarah's house or Sarah 101... She is amazing! She saids you can and should have multiple tones of woods in a space. BUT to make it work they have to repeat themselves at least twice. I see you have white in the wood around your window/ door. I think adding white wood seems logical. You already have it. It needs to repeat itself. It will tie the space together more
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    How about a wine cabinet with doors and storage on the clock wall?
    Wine cabinet · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    P.S. I've been meaning to tell you that your choice for a sofa is so so so perfect for your small space. I like everything about it. It has versaltile seating and the neutral color allows you to change out accent colors if you get bored. Great Job! Congrats!
  • sondramartina
    11 years ago
    Have you try to rotate rug for 90 degrees?