Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherbear

motherbear
13 years ago
My kitchen will be vaulted like this one & will have an island cooktop & stove. I DO NOT want an exhaust hood of any kind. Is an exhaust fan like the one in the photo truly a viable alternative?
Kitchen Projects · More Info

Comments (11)

• PRO
    KitchenLab Interiors
    13 years ago
    To be honest, not really. These are really high ceilings and the chance that the fan is doing the job needed is pretty slim. If you don't want grease and grime to settle on top of your surfaces then an exhaust of some kind is really important. Have you considered a down draft?
  • motherbear
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    Do you mean the telescoping kind...don't want that. The island is "stepped" for separate seating & work areas. Couldn't I put a cool retro looking exhaust fan in step's riser & vent it thru the floor to uhder the house?
  • Veronica
    13 years ago
    When I remodeled our kitchen I put the stovetop into the granite island and did not install any vent hood. Honestly I never use them and decided to risk it by not installing one. For us .. not having a hood has never caused us any issue. And all the space and $ we saved. We did purchase a flat glass alternate induction stove that appears seamless in the island and it does remain hot after cooking. We did take out the walls to the dining room and family room and we have high sealings and plenty of windows. And generally we just don't fry food anymore.
  • Heidi Timmons_Owens
    11 years ago
    I have a similar dilemma. I think gas cooktops and high temperature/greasy cooking habits absolutely require an exhaust hood. If you are using electric and mostly just boil water you may be ok. I am not a professional, though. :0)
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    11 years ago
    On the subject of whether a hood is necessary - we can give you 10 good reasons why it is: http://www.futurofuturo.com/rangehood-FAQ-10-reasons-to-have-a-range-hood.php

It's not only about the grease, but also fresh air circulation, temperature management, moisture control, etc.

If you absolutely do not want any kind of obstruction, you may consider an "in-ceiling" hood, which would have to be oversized & overpowered (2 blowers) to compensate for the increased distance, such as our "Skylight" model: http://www.futurofuturo.com/island-range-hood-IS54SKYLIGHT.php
  • PRO
    Randys Construction
    11 years ago
    I have the same problem with two houses I'm building in Tenn.on 6 acres we bought there.One house was solve fairly easy puttin a downdraft electric slide in range the outer I'm still working on because I want to put a gas stove in there.
  • bubblyjock
    11 years ago
    Futuro - I think it's awesome the way you're tracking and replying to rangehood questions! You're obviously very knowledgeable, but you're also very generous with that expertise, and I, for one, will probably be talking to you sooner than later about buying a rangehood.

I reckon this is one of the very positive examples of Houzz should work - you put your name out there as a business and engage in active conversation (backed up with good photography); we, as consumers, keep an eye on your output, and if we like it, we do business with you, if not, we move on.

I was trying to find examples of rangehoods suitable for suspending over a 36" Bluestar gas range in an island....in a kitchen with a vaulted ceiling(8' side walls, 45' roof pitch). No luck so far - just wondering if you had any advice?
  • bubblyjock
    11 years ago
    Wow - that was quick: thank you! Your explanation and illustration make perfect sense. I'll talk to the contractor, but given what you say it's probably more sensible to go back to my Plan A, and put the range against the wall, as I don't want a bulky soffit filling the space overhead, and blocking natural light.

I saw on your website that you ship to Canada: awesome - so many distributors won't ship to the Great White North, sadly.
  • jrwillia
    9 years ago
    Where can you get the floor and what is this particular color?
  • mtessema
    8 years ago

Yes, what is the hardwood and where can I buy it?