Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdavid10

Ideas for new home

jdavid10
11 years ago
Hi everyone! I am new to Houzz. I have spent quite some time browsing through the site. So we are in contract for our new home and are supposed to close in a few weeks. Any ideas on what to do with this family room? The furniture in the pics are not ours. These are pics from real estate site. So far we purchased a chocolate brown leather sectional and a tan single chair. I'm thinking of shades of light blue. Any ideas for rugs and curtains?thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh and I forgot to mention, we are ripping up carpet to expose the beautiful hardwood floors
  • jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Please help! We are first time home buyers and would appreciate all the help we an get! Thank u!
  • Terri Loney
    11 years ago
    I would get rid of the window blinds first !
  • jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes those blinds are definitely going! And I was thinking bamboo shades too.
  • Mandy
    11 years ago
    What I would do is just live in the space first before buying anything else. I made the mistake in my last house of buying things before we moved in and then realized (once we moved in) that a few things didn't fit or weren't the right color for the space, etc.
  • rogersm1985
    11 years ago
    I'm just getting used to Houzz as well, but I love surfing through their product photos because you can find sooo many fun additions for any room.

Pipa Table Oly Studio Cocktail White Resin Coffee Table · More Info

Isla Bowl · More Info

Contemporary Serving Trays · More Info

Crystal Table Lamp · More Info

Anderson Chair · More Info

Dash and Albert Blue Heron Throw Pillow · More Info

DwellStudio Peacock Pillow, Azure · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/blue-and-brown/p/300
    Firenze Embroidered Panel Curtain · More Info

Mia Persian-Style Rug · More Info

Natural Quatro Sheepskin Area Rug · More Info

Coqo Floral Rug, Navy · More Info

Coral Rug · More Info

Carthage Pierced Covered Lantern Large by Two's Company® · More Info

Mercury Votive Holders · More Info

Ben automne by LaBokoff · More Info

There are plenty of other products you can search through for ideas and the great thing about Houzz is if you type in the key words, you can always narrow down your search by your design type. Best of luck to you in the new house!
  • standinginline
    11 years ago
    I agree with Mandy--live in the space for a bit then add--I had the same excitement for "filling up" our first home too, only to find a handful of things (especially artwork) did not fit the look or feel I wanted for the space. I now have a whole wall of artwork in our garage that isn't being used in the house--but hey, our garage looks quite colorful!

In general, it is best to post this question again after you've moved in and have pictures of your furniture in the house.
  • jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the great ideas! I can't wait to see how things "fit" I guess after that I can start to accessorize. Was trying to get the main things out the way. What color should rug and curtains be?
  • jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes ur right. I guess it's the excitement of a new house and wanting it to feel like home right away. We don't have much furniture but I will post what we do have when we move in. One more thing, before we move in we are having the floors done and paint. With the chocolate leather couch I was thinking a light cafe au lait type color. That will go with my neutral color palette with blue and hints of orange. Thoughts?
  • standinginline
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would expose (and refinish if needed) the floors first before painting. Not only will you avoid any mess-ups to the "new paint" job if refinishing is the plan, but will then see whether your floors venture into warm tones or cool tones...this will or should help with your paint choice (and picking the right one).
  • PRO
    Denny Shuty
    11 years ago
    Listen to standinginline and Mandy. Do the floors, get the sofa iIFyou are sure of it, then wait to do everything else. You have to see how light affects your colors. I have a bedroom with a north facing window. The quality of the light in that room dramatically affected the paint colors I was considering. Blues looked gray, tan looked like taupe. I had to go into the pale golds with a red undertone to get a nice champagne color I could live with. You can't design in a vacuum and be successful, each element affects every other element. Plus if this is your first place you need to build up your knowledge base about furniture and design.
  • PRO
    Alicia Paley Home Interiors
    11 years ago
    It's difficult to suggest items to furnish your room without knowing your style and budget. If you're looking for nice but not too expensive items, in an inviting style, check out West Elm. It's owned by the same company that owns Pottery Barn, but their look is more eclectic, and the quality of their furniture is better. - Good luck with your first home, and congratulations!
  • jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u so much everyone for your comments. I appreciate it. Will definitely do floors first and then choose paint. Thanks for the ideas. I will be sure to post again once we move in and refinish floors.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    I like your woven wood shades idea. Then flank them with curtain panels in one of your accent colors.
  • jdavid10
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I am thinking light blue curtain panels. Saw some nice ones at jcpenney