Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shauney22

Little Hotel

shauney22
8 years ago
... In need of repairs and a paint job. What colours would you use?

Comments (59)

• shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You're correct. It's on the Alaskan border in BC. The hotel includes the restaurant, yes.
  • lefty47
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

HI -- Well fellow Canadian ,this looks like an interesting project . Maybe a classy color combo of taupe with charcoal with striped new awning in same colors , going the full width of the front . Or an orangy red awning would get noticed .

• shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Patricia, I did make mention that it is in need of repairs. I have renovated many homes in my lifetime as well. So no, it wasn't for FREE, yes, I do know what work needs to be done AND all I wanted was ideas as to colours! It's called making a total plan before execution.
  • shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Interior...

There is no reception :)
  • User
    8 years ago

You've got a great original cornice going for this building. I Inow about cornices because every single one was removed from Detroit's historic buildings, after a portion of a cornice fell onto someone below. So, yours is looking good and I think you should highlight it. Near Alaska, makes very interesting!! I think of "quirky" and "bright colors". Yellow/gold for the facade. Deep forest green with gold for the cornice.

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Blue and brown with a yellow(subtle) door.....Grey and green with a red door....Blue and taupe with a orange door.

• User
    8 years ago

Does this have Historic Designation? When was it built? What a cute cafe and restaurant. That part looks in good shape. so, is it mainly the exterior that needs work?

• susiesworld
    8 years ago
    Yellow and white, always make a place look warm and happy from the outside.
  • Lois P
    8 years ago
    I can only imagine what Patricia is like to work with... What a rude, snobby comment right out of the gate!
  • shirlpp
    8 years ago

I am thinking that a few booths inside would be nice.

• Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

I would look at historic 3-color schemes as would be found on say a Victorian Painted Lady or Queen Anne style Architecture. Given your location you can afford to go quirky - a la Skagway, Alaska - or other historic northern "Gold Rush" towns. Port Townsend, WA comes to mind also; a sort of funky, historic charm really makes these towns unique. (I still have fond memories of Lilac House, a cool purple B&B we loved to stay at in Victoria, BC). I could definitely see this building being something pretty special, the interior is lovely and full of charm. Looks like a fun project.

The Purple Painted Lady · More Info

Sumner Residence · More Info

Victorian Houses in Inman Park Atlanta · More Info

• PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 years ago
    Congratulations on your latest endeavor. This little gem looks very quaint. I live in Montana and we have a small historic town called Philipsburg that we love visiting. The Kaiser House B&B is where we stay. You should do a search and check it out for ideas. In the meantime, I would look at some Main Street images from to get inspiration on colors. Take a look at these and focus on the cornices and others entails.
  • lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- Your Hotel is said to be one of the finest buildings in Stewart and was restored a bit in 1994 ... what was done at that time ? The restaurant is also said to have the best food in town but is only open in the summer time . Do you get a lot of tourists there over the summer ? It looks like an interesting historic town . Can you look up any photos from the past to see what colors it was before and maybe restore it to it's former glory . I see some of the other buildings there have bright colors . But being the hotel in town , then maybe do the colors I said before would suit it's grand reputation . Good Luck !

• PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 years ago
    ^^my comment disappeared on my screen. Take a look at the details of these historic Main Street buildings. It's a great way to get inspiration. Good luck and have fun with your project.
  • robin701
    8 years ago

Are you going to renovate the rooms?

• User
    8 years ago

Wow Finstads, love those buildings. So bright, detailed. Fun!!

• Melissa
    8 years ago
    How about navy blue with cream trim.
  • terry toon
    8 years ago
    Totally awesome.
  • Candy T
    8 years ago
    This is gorgeous, congrats on such a cool project! For some reason I thought a blueberry hue (blue-ish black but bright, not dreary) would be so cool and fresh for the siding, with a bright cream color for the window trim and cornices, with maybe Dutch blue and white striped awnings, and a gorgeous cool-tone red door. Or, maybe a light-but-sunny yellow door like the other member suggested. That would be new and inviting too. Good luck!!
  • shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. It is a sweet building and will require time (and $) to bring her back to life. This is a huge leap of faith on my part. I will be moving across country to make this all come true. The goal will be to update all the rooms. It is a seasonal hotel and restaurant. The restaurant will be leased this season. The inside is in good shape but is dated. The outside is weathered and tired. The windows are being replaced.
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

The winters will be long and the closest "road" is the Stewart Cassiar - which I hope is better than the last time I drove it in my old Festiva many moons ago.

• Candy T
    8 years ago
    I think it's great. Anyone can take something down to the studs, that just takes money. But you can't even build anything like this anymore! Don't get overwhelmed, it's really so charming and as these historic buildings disappear more and more, it's important to keep them authentic and NOT change what makes them great. A little paint and some energy efficiency updates and you're golden!
  • shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I was think in the blue or green families.
  • shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Puremichigan60, it does not have any designation and is approx. 95 yrs old, from what I'm told. And what site did you get that photo from? I don't remember seeing that angle of the sign!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Good luck Shauny! I know this will be a huge undertaking; but what gratification it will be when you return it to its former glory ! I see the body of this( the clapboard) part painted a deep charcoal , the cornice could be white and a softer color, maybe a grey/ violet. Beautiful, colorful striped awnings and a brightly painted door! White window trim of course!
  • shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Colour palette thought. Red for cornices?
  • jjuchli
    8 years ago
    I love the sign! And the striped awnings ideas! Really cool interiors! Grey blues can be so classy, but can also be a bit unwelcoming in our long winters - the winter light (or lack thereof) can make it a bit harsh, so I really like the suggestions for some warm/welcoming touches like the yellow door idea. Good luck, and blessings on your exciting new venture! Fortune favors the bold!
  • mramsey
    8 years ago

Lots of great thoughts up stream... Colours will be interesting to choose as the season of greatest use will be the summer and the longest season is the snowy shades of winter! So, if I was playing to the winter, I would choose colours that suggested, come on in it's warm & cosy inside! So what would be the most appealing suggestion in the summer? (besides no mosquitos found here...) The inside shots BTW are fantastic!

• robin701
    8 years ago

I think we've all adopted your "little hotel!" Wishing you the best of luck in your new adventure, and please keep us posted :)

• cramps36
    8 years ago
    Whenever my attitude is subpar I log on here to see if Patricia can outdo me. She never disappoints. She's a pro
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    8 years ago

Love heritage restorations! If your intent is to run this as a (set of) business(es), then I would consider what works market-wise. What demographic do you intend to bring in? How will various options fit with the overall town and its plan? You can go in several directions with a true restoration and have the alternative of going less conventional as well. We have an Edwardian in Victoria (among several newer properties) and on the drawing board is some custom stencil work to help the main hall resonate with the windows and architectural details in adjacent suites. That can be a relatviely inexpensive way to add character and disguise flaws that will be addressed over time. Have fu

n!

• User
    8 years ago

Definitely red for the cornice and other accents. I do like your blue and red combos. Very pretty and bold!! Can I come up and work on your landscaping this summer? :-)

• squirrelyq
    8 years ago
    Stewart British Columbia!!!!!!
    Ok folks my wonderful little Métis/Ojibway brother moved there a few years ago to wed his wonderful wife all the way from the heart of the Métis heartland in peg city:)
    We were there in late sept, what a STUNNING rainforest mountain town!!!
    But this is what i noticed when I was there for the buildings. All in kindness. :)

Lots of rust due to the humidity, lots of abandoneddue to the 8hr ride to a med size city-far too $$$ to get items in or out. Lots of things abandoned as well because of the deep port. And you could get things in from the ocean, but I assume the shops don't take things out?
    But SO MANY TIN ROOFS! Snow falls right off:)
  • squirrelyq
    8 years ago
    Sorry, computer was crazy.
    Ok so yes- so wet! It is a rainforest, lol. And so $$ to get materials in or out.
    So my suggestion is bright and beautiful or subtle and stunning so the mountains and ocean take centre stage.
    Stunning town! You should have seen their wedding pics:) we did go over to the American side in hyder too. But the cdn side was the bees knees. GORGEOUS!
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

Shauney, have you had a chance to see much of the area before moving there? Rainy remote-ish west coast locations such as this will be a big change for you no doubt if you are from (Ontario..? Or?) Because of the climate and the type of light steer away from the duller colors of blue, green, gray. Much too depressing and dreary for the majority of the year. You won't regret a sunnier pallette of colors. But do live there a while to get a feel for the building and what she wants. Does Stewart get Alaskan cruise ship traffic to make this viable? PS: don't fly out when you relocate, drive - it'll be an adventure and you can see the country too (I've been there can you tell?) PPS: moose tend to wander on the roads more frequently at dusk so watch your speed.

• User
    8 years ago

Metal roofing seems like a must. In Vermont it is, and most are red which adds to that area's beauty and character.

• marywhanson
    8 years ago
    Love the waffled ceiling in the restaurant! Gorgeous! Looks like a fun project and I wish you great success. :)

Re exterior color scheme . . . Choosing something compatible with the interior is good, and I would also look around at other buildings in the immediate area and see what's already being used and what you like.

I would also go as far as mulling over any ideas you may have for plantings, etc., and signage, as well as logo plans, so it all pulls together cohesively.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Hey, shauney, you've already got your own website: http://www.bayviewhotel.ca/

Let us know when it's ready so we can book our stay. ;-)

• terry toon
    8 years ago
    Here's a few from Facebook
  • PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 years ago

It will be a labor of love; plus some blood, sweat and tears. Please post some pictures when you do the updates.

• shauney22
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for the outpouring of suggestions and support. I am a Montreal born gal who just turned 50. My last has left the nest and oldest will be 30 this week. My youngest is in Stewart as well as a friend of mine. So, it is my time to spread my wings and soar. I do plan on driving (dogs) and will watch for moose ;). The demographics are "tourists" due to it being on the Alaskan border and close to glaciers/mountains. The hotel, in the past, has been seasonal. Other than tourists, there are miners, hydro gang, and yes, there are ships docking at the New World port. First one was this past week. No cruise vessels as of yet. Yes, Puremichigan60, please come and play in the garden. I would have loved to have gone with a harvest gold colour as the main, but there is a bright yellow building across the road. I still may :). hotel is on the left down the road a bit.
  • User
    8 years ago

That's a spectacular setting. I would think the tourists would be more of the backpacker, adventurous sort who would appreciate the character of your place.

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Black and white, definitely, so smart
  • er612
    8 years ago

I actually like the current color (repainted).

Or for something different...

• User
    8 years ago

I like this grey/blue and the cornice deep red

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

IMO blue and white would be awesome and just because I speak my mind does not make me difficult to work with but I really do believe that once a building is renoed it often tells you what color it should be so I leave that to the end , that is my way of deciding color so shoot me.

• PRO
    Arocordis Design
    8 years ago
    I like to suggest looking at exterior color question another way. More from a branding and storytelling perspective. Doing so may help make the color choices come naturally following from these considerations.

So here goes; What is the hospitality vibe and brand story you envision? Or are you developing one in parallel to getting your overall plan together which the exterior color ideas might most amplify, coordinate with?

Are you catering to a sophisticated market with contemporary modern expectations? Or a market looking for a nostalgic hotel experience with an historically accurate color palette, canopies, and a cutesy vibe? Is this a crazy colorful tourist town full of quirkiness or sedate monochromatic colors?

Are your key customers Millenials or Gen Xers, Baby Boomers? The color choices might want to dovetail, or contrast with those demographic expectations? You likely want differentiate your brand somehow and your exterior color choices might want work for you, not against you.

Do you have a logo and identity package developed with brand colors, suitable to be used across web, print, and physical aspects of the exterior, interior common areas, restaurant and hotel rooms?

Coordinating your color choices to create a unified customer experience may help create lasting positive and professionally distinct impressions.

All helping build your brand, repeat happy customers that love telling your story to their friends.

I like to think holistically like this. Call me crazy, but I think it's vital to do so. It's good business. And good architecture. Good luck. If I can help more let me know. Best, Steve
  • jjuchli
    8 years ago

It's actually very similar in building style to really awesome photos I've seen of Newfoundland - some day I'll get that far... They do have similar weather issues - long grey damp winters, so colour is awesome..I love the confident mish-mash of colour:

• User
    8 years ago

Nova Scotia also.

• PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 years ago

Shauney---great response to your post. I saw your paint chart of what you are thinking. I LOVE the burgundy for the cornice or even the main body of your building. But be careful of the shades of blue. When I see the picture of your hotel you posted I see grey clouds and the mountains in the background---which makes the dusty shades of blue seem very dismal. So....if you get lots of sun in that region then the blues are fine. If you don't, then don't be scared about doing color. The picture above the jjuchli posted of a Newfoundland historical district is cheerful. I would recommend cheerful colors over grays and blues. Definitely contrast the cornice on your building because, architecturally speaking, it's the best feature of the facade of your building. It will draw the eye upward which creates an appreciation for the building as a whole.