Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tallcloverfarm

1888 house: interior trim color

tallcloverfarm
11 years ago
It's been a year since I painted by living room walls Benjamin Moore 'straw' and now I really need to buckle down and paint the trim, which currently is a glossy minty green. The ceiling is the lightest of blues, coastal mist. Your ideas are appreciated.

Comments (15)

• qam999
    11 years ago
    Mmmmmm, beautiful scale and proportion on those windows! I like the mint green a lot in your photo. What is your reason for changing it?
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I'm glad you said that, soberg, because I like the mint green too.
  • PRO
    alpine interiors
    11 years ago
    I'd paint the trim and ceiling the same. Maybe high gloss bright white trim to pop the straw color. Depends on your furniture as well
  • tallcloverfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The mint green was poorly applied decades ago, lots of running and dripping, and in addition to that, though it's hard to tell in the photo, it's a very institutional color like the gray-green found on hospital walls or holding cells (at least those I've seen on TV) . ;-)
  • tallcloverfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    feeny, what do you think about an accent color on the inside window sash, and the mullions?
  • PRO
    Durpetti Interiors
    11 years ago
    Glossy white is always an option. For a more contemporary feel, a smoky grey would pair nicely with the wall color. The key with trim is a semigloss finish, oil based holds up best. Very nice windows, best of luck!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    @tailcloverfarm: I kind of love the effect of two tones on windows. It can be very striking. Is this the kind of effect you are imagining?
    Sun Room · More Info

Sun room · More Info

Contemporary Family Room · More Info
    tallcloverfarm thanked feeny
  • tallcloverfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @feeny Yes, exactly, a two-toned effect indeed. And I'm not adverse to saturated colors.
  • User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It looks like you have a great outdoor space; I think the two-tone stops your eye at the color instead of taking it out to the view. It depends on the effect you're after.
    tallcloverfarm thanked User
  • tallcloverfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @bluenan thanks, I never thought of that, the view is nicely pastoral.
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    If the #2 trim is a complimentary color to the view outside, as in upper right photo of sunroom, it will frame and accentuate , rather than stopping the eye. Compare which view looks best in that photo- the side window w grey, or the center window w white?
    tallcloverfarm thanked studio10001
  • tallcloverfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @studio10001 Thanks another great tip.
  • Andrea Smith
    11 years ago
    I like the mint trim...if you wanted to keep it, then you could paint your walls an off white or very light beige to really make the trim pop and become the more focused color of the room.
    tallcloverfarm thanked Andrea Smith
  • Jennifer Preston
    8 years ago

Just a comment for future consideration - paint the ceiling, then the trim, then cut the walls in and roll them. From a process perspective, that is much easier.

tallcloverfarm thanked Jennifer Preston