Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_taylor28

best color for kitchen walls

Lisa Taylor
7 years ago
just bought our first home and all I can do is think about paint ;)
I'm not changing the cabinets. I just can't bring myself to paint wood. we are installing a white granite with darker movement, white tile backsplash with charcoal grout and eventually copper fixtures and accents. I was thinking a blue gray for the walls but I'm already bored with that idea so I'm thinking a very light cream white like SW Zurich white. what do you think?
if you have any rooms this color or carrington beige(thinking for living room) please share with me those and your ideas. thank you much!!!

Comments (9)

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

what a great space!!! so my room is not painted zurich white but my cabinets are and it's a great color. will totally lighten up this space. my concern are your choices of adding gray anything to this kitchen with the floor tile, of course my monitor could be off but it looks very pinky/peachy and warm. I would just be careful with counter and grout selections

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Agree with Jennifer. Whites and creams don't dance well together unless there are some "common" elements. Putting dark grout with white backsplash tile will date the look and make it quite busy. Since this is a closed in kitchen, I would recommend a grout color to match your backsplash. It will really open the space and lighten things up with a off white paint color. The question is "what off-white"? If you are not doing anything with the cabinets their honey color will affect any "off-white" you choose. I would go with a light undertone of perhaps a sage green since that helps tone down honey wood. But first select you countertop and backsplash, then figure out paints. That color should carry over into your adjoining room for maximum cohesion. You could do a complimentary darker color below the wainscoting/chair rail if you want some more color, but with the space, you are probably going to put furniture in front of it, so not sure that would be a good idea, but kind of depends on what you have, what colors you need to work with in fabrics/finishes?? Some photos of your granite choice would help, or the name of it, but photos would help. Just changing the orange wall color will help a lot.

• Lisa Taylor
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Colorado white granite
  • Lisa Taylor
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    wow! I can tell y'all know what your talking about!!!
    yes, the tile on the floor is not pretty. this weird pinky/peachy and beigey brown?
    I see what your saying about the grout. I'm just not sure how the white grout will stay clean looking. do I seal it?
    Yea I don't want a darker color under chair rail bc of furniture, you are right. we are trying to work with what we have as we don't have a huge budget for Reno so would like to keep the lighting. I am going for a country, farmhouse type look. I love older furniture and decor so what softer colors so those things can stand out.
    I was thinking Zurich white for kitchen, carrington beige for living, foyer and hall way and a mossy green for the large laundry/office off the kitchen.
    I really appreciate your comments!!! It gives me alot to consider! will be thinking about the grout choice for sure
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Just like any color, it gets "used" cleaning alone is a factor. But there are some new grouts that have built in "stain protection". I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet. Anyone out there familiar with those? You MUST change that light in the family room, and you would be much better off picking the same color for kitchen, hall and family room. Changing colors, chops things up which you don't need. Easier, faster, cheaper. Just do one color. A bright green (apple) in the laundry room is a great idea. If you are keeping cabinets, which I think you are, then a soft off white would be best. I'm saying that mainly due to lack of lighting in the entire space. Try a sample board (I will explain that if you need me to) of 942 Marble White. This color has minimal if no yellow undertones, more very light beige. That would blend with the furnishings you have. It would so brighten up this space. You are also going to have to "prime" that strong color. Don't even try to do a sample on that wall. It won't work well. Back to your family room light fixture. I think this space might have been for a dining room but that fixture is "up light" and that is not what this room needs. Aside from the dated look of it, no meaningful light comes from it. Lighting is key in a space. For under $200 you can change that one out. Fixtures and their light as Patricia points out and I know, can make or break a room and this one needs to go. OK sorry, really big deal to me.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    One comment I can see is that your vaulted room is not properly painted. Those rooms are intended to have a light color and the color taken up through the ceiling - therefore you should not have a line half way up of one paint color and then a white ceiling. Next, you have warm cabinets - do not use a stone with grey tones in it - you need to have warm tones if you are keeping the cabinets.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Next take down the chair rail and contemplate putting in French doors where the window is. That is one gorgeous back yard!
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    And I think your idea of a light, warm green color would be perfect for the entire space. By painting it all one color, the space will seem larger. If that is sheet vinyl on the floor you can replace it very easily - I even did my own floor - although never again. I'd pay to have someone do it. Killed my knees and back. Yes you seal the grout and grout comes in lots of different colors.