Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hm167

Stair Redo

Hilda
11 years ago
I ripped off the carpet from my stairs underneath they are cheap wood. I want to paint them. I cant afford to redo them hard wood. I can't do a runner because I have two dogs and they love to play up and down and they shed so much no more carpet for ME! I LIVE in a town home although my foyer is very large 30 ft ceiling the stairs r the first thing u see. I am not scared of color and my floors are your basic honey oak. Black stairs with black rail white spindles? I need help! Btw my walls are still white hope to change too.

Comments (24)

• Pam Mann
    11 years ago
    black do the black it will give it a sleek look
  • Rosemary Davis
    11 years ago
    Will painted treads stand up to the wear and tear of your dogs? What about painted risers with stained treads.
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Cool any wall color suggestions I have a taupe type color down the hallway on the side of the stairs I stopped when I could not reach the ceiling
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Stained tread dark though I did not think about the dogs and paint thx bowdavis
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Whst part are the risers the rail?
  • Pam Mann
    11 years ago
    but it will last
  • Judy M
    11 years ago
    The risers are the back of the step.
  • Rosemary Davis
    11 years ago
    A stair riser is the near-vertical element in a set of stairs, forming the space between a step and the next.
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Okay great Judy and bow
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thx pam
  • PRO
    Nick Dellos Creations
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Fun project potential. It looks like your stair treads (flat part you step on) are a nice clear hardwood with rounded noses. That is not a bad as some stairs under carpet, which are just framing lumber. If that is the case, I like the idea as mentioned above of staining the treads and painting the risers. I would call a handyman to assist you for a bit one day at least if you want to attempt it yourself. Maybe he could do the sanding for you with his electric sander and show you how to apply stain and finish.

Also, since the riser is not stepped on, you could cut pieces of finished plywood and glue them on after you stain and seal them as well. But painted will be nice too.
  • Debbie Sheegog
    11 years ago
    when we were over-hauling my brother's, RIP SAM, stairs covered in carpet, I got the idea one day to pull and cut back the carpet cause the newel post and banister were hard wood, as were ends of stairs exposed on the outside only. Guess what? Hardwoods. Stained, first sanded and all and even with the evidence that they had been covered at one time w/ carpet they totally made the entrance so much more appealing; buyers looking always commented on them, as the other condos in his units were not always done like this. Seriously would not paint them.
  • romey9us
    11 years ago
    The risers could be covered with Pergo flooring. Maybe something dark cherry, maple or espresso. You would likely need a table saw to rip to width. Another idea would be bead board paneling installed vertically and glued in place.
  • PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    11 years ago
    Keep in mind the dogs may have a harder time on the stairs without carpet. Could you find a low pile, not loop---nails will reek havoc--medium color carpet? Your local carpet expert should have various price points that handle 'foot traffic' well.
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So if I go with the stain do I match the OAK?
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jill it is the shedding too. Also the smaller pup is 5 months old and very stubborn to train and she likes making on the steps Lol. Now I am showing off my babies.
  • PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    11 years ago
    Oh the joys of potty training and showing who's alpha /: We had two goldens, so I completely understand the shedding. Hopefully if their nails are trimmed the steps will hold up with low maintenance.
  • L M
    11 years ago
    stain the treads, paint the risers white (high gloss) -easy to clean ....i do it 4 kids, 1 dog and a husband with size 13 feet who completely scuffs them up....they clean up easily...for the tough stuff i use a magic eraser. It looks clean and classic.
  • L M
    11 years ago
    also, don't worry too much on stain color on treads, does not need to match perfectly, as they are not on the same level as floors.
  • Debbie Sheegog
    11 years ago
    L M exactly my point; there was insistence from our realtor on painting due to any defects, old nail holes, etc. but it was BEAUTIFUL! Funny she wanted the sleek black paint, too. I am really pleased with following our intuition on this one!
  • L M
    11 years ago
    I get the sleek black...but not with shedding dogs...you will forever see tumbleweeds of dog hair in the corners of your steps....listen to your intuition!!
  • PRO
    Hilda
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We r leaning on the staining.
  • joyful_lady
    11 years ago
    My entry hall is 20' tall and I am not. I thought I would have to hire it done or rent scaffolding as I have stairs along one wall in the entry. After some high painting estimates I found that I would use a ladder and a long pole with an edger (available at big box stores) and a roller -- both on the end of the long pole and paint all the way to the top.

I saw you mentioned you stopped when you could not reach higher so I thought I would mention it. I like the stain idea as well and then the risers whatever color you think would suit your style best.

I would look at DIY or YouTube videos as far as how to sand and prep for staining. Could your babies go to Grandma's for a few days while the work is done?
    Hilda thanked joyful_lady