Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bearus2

Wanting to gut my kitchen...

bearus2
10 years ago
I would like to "redesign" my kitchen. I want to open it up by doing away with the pennisula and including a floating island, get rid of the area above the cabinets and..???? Need input because hubs & I can't seem to get on the same page. Oh yeah, would like to keep the cost under $12K!

Comments (152)

• mefor
    10 years ago
    Never saw it, I've seen the peel n stick in a glass tile version, looks pretty good. Home decorators is a Home Depot company, stuff is a step above what you can get in depot stores. Just finished looking at it, not bad looking stuff. Few pictures of moveable islands from the catalog, sorry it's so cloudy and dark here, but if I take pic with lights on, it's all glare.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    bearus2: can you post some close-up photos of the sink area where the new backsplash would go? Also photos of the damage in cabinets if you want advice on repair.

Can any of the former peninsula cabinets be re-used?
  • geral64
    10 years ago
    Bearus: Check out flooranddecoroutlets.com if you haven't had a chance. Some of their glass mosaic is so reasonably priced.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Do you mean like this?
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    apple_pie_order-I will take more pictures this weekend, and no not really, I did make two underbed rolling storage units out of the drawers & I am planning on hanging a portion of the top in my laundry room for a folding table :)but the rest is trash! mforr-not exactly... but that is interesting...is that backsplashtogo?
  • leefordp
    10 years ago
    Home Depot carries a few different manufacturers of laminate countertop, as I'm sure Loews probably does, as well. Formica is just one brand name, and Wilsonart is another (ours is Wilsonart, "Sedona Spa"). I'm not sure if HD is a trademark, but by it I mean that the laminate has a sense of depth do it, as does real stone. You could also do a black countertop that would look like honed (non-shiny) granite. Good luck with everything!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think the HD is supposed to be hi definition like your picture on tv. High definition in image on your counter top to more closely resemble the real thing. Yes that was backsplashtogo. What did you think of the rolling islands?
  • eyeonlyhave1love
    10 years ago
    Wow great kitchen space. Depending on your budget you could glam this out or touch the tip of a star. Touching the tip of a star could mean just changing the backsplash and countertops or changing out the cabinets to be replaces with more modern extended height cabinets. Establish your limit.
  • eyeonlyhave1love
    10 years ago
    One more thing. Changing out and recreating lighting can also do wonders.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    Observations. Ikea domsjo single bowl apron sink $179. Ikea cabinets - 25 year warranty with German blum hardware..soft close drawers and doors. Many of the styles come with solid wood doors. Ikea appliances are made by Whirlpool and very reasonably priced. 20% off kitchen sale twice a year - spring and fall. Delivery charges very reasonable. I single-handedly just assembled 17 cabinets in a matter of a few days...no problems. Best prices on butcherblock counters around. An 8 ft. wide kitchen could barely use a 25" wide island. You may find yourself cursing it frequently, especially if there are more than 2 of you in the home. We are assembling our 2nd Ikea kitchen in 3 years as I type.
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Introducing my makeshift floating island...made from seconds & a laminate top (26x52) $200. The other pics are from under the cabinets & the exsisting backsplash. I stumbled across LilyAnn cabinets this morning...has anyone had experience with them?
  • eyeonlyhave1love
    10 years ago
    I love the 1st pic island. What are the other pics of?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Great job, bearus2!! Looks very, very good. Just as nice as the ones I sent pics of. Don't know that brand of cabinets, sorry I can't help with that. Keep up the good work!!
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The cabinets & countertop came from the Mastercraft cabinet shoppe. Putting it together wasn't quite as easy as I anticipated...very thankful hubby didn't give up on it! :) We are going to add trim around the bottom to finish it out & help hide the wheels. :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Well I don't know you really, just virtually, but I'm very proud of you :)
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement! Here is a better shot of the countertop...
  • J Milner
    10 years ago
    bearus2: My hubby and I are also going to be creating a "floating island" very similar to yours, in the coming months. Ours will be a 24x42 box with two full height doors, and a countertop approx. 36x44 (including overhang so I can pull up a stool to frost cupcakes, etc.) At least that's the plan...... Thanks for sharing your progress!!
  • jaade77
    10 years ago
    We gutted and reconfigured kitchen. Considered Ikea, but used Cabinets to Go (used Ikea cabinets in other rooms). Wood throughout and at the time similarly priced. http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/13361348/thumbs/Kitchen-Remodel--1913-Four-Square
  • kea2
    10 years ago
    8X8 kitchen, I like the pennisula. It gave more work counter space and you could still sit people at it. But it is not what we like, it is what you like. So great job on the island.
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    FINALLY some Progress!
  • J Milner
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the update, bearus2! Now I am panicking.... to save some $$, I ordered just slab drawers (on my five skinny top drawers only) and I really love how your 5-panel drawers look. Can't wait to see how the rest of your project turns out!
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I shopped and compared and shopped some more...kinda of a fluke that I found these. Glenn, (my cabinet man) beat everybody elses quote and that included installation! I thought it was to good to be true! I can't believe that this space is now my kitchen!! If you are anywhere near Shreveport LA I recommend you give him a call 1-318-210-2701. I gotta lotta bang for my $$$ :))
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the island, upright
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    mY FAUX TIN ceiling...
  • geral64
    10 years ago
    Awesome. Great job. What did you decide about the back splash?
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is black, white & grey glass stick mosiac-found it at Floor & Decor-you can kinda see it in the third picture. :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Looks so great!!!
    bearus2 thanked mefor
  • trolauemicol
    10 years ago
    Looks great! You are in the home stretch. At about two weeks in without a kitchen I was crying, doing dishes in my bathroom sink, wondering why I started... But once the cabinets start going in and you get a better appreciation for what's to come, it's all worth it :)
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The waiting is killing me!! We are going on about a month waiting on the countertops... :( thankfully, we saved the wood from the previous tops and made make shift countertops & hubby connected the sink, (it is sitting on top of the cabinet!) so we haven't had to use the bathroom sink! I am oh sososo ready to be done! I believe I am being tested on my ability to be patient ! I have to remember that slow & steady wins the race ...it will get done...EVENTUALLY! :)
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Update: Viatera "Obsidian"counter tops installed! Decided on a granite "remnant" top that complements the counter
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Backsplash installed...I still have got to grout it. . .anybody have any secrets to successful grouting?
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another backsplash pic, I think it turned out pretty good for my first time to ever tile!
  • PRO
    Bellamira Design
    10 years ago
    One big grout trick is to have plenty of clean water and clean sponges! Don't let it dry on the tile. If you make a mistake, draw a groove into existing grout, and then go over it.
  • PRO
    Bellamira Design
    10 years ago
    I LOVE your new kitchen so far. You are very resourceful, nice job.
    bearus2 thanked Bellamira Design
  • trolauemicol
    10 years ago
    Its hard to tell from the pic, but is it just glass mosaic? if there is stone mixed in, you should apply a coat of sealer on just the stones, makes clean up easier. make sure you let the sealer dry well.

If you haven't grouted yet, it's good to work with a partner. Have them apply grout with the float, allow to set up according to grout directions, then follow with clean water and a good sponge. Homedepot has awesome fat ones. Whatever you do, don't let the grout dry on the tile. We got behind and it dried on ours, I had to use dental type instruments to scrape the grout out of the grooves and bumps on the stone... Five hours later... Only one wall done. Learn from my mistake. Lol

It's looking great!!
    bearus2 thanked trolauemicol
  • Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago
    Also, if you have any stone in the mosaic mix, you may want to seal it before you grout, or the grout will fill any holes, dips, and valleys you have in the natural stone. Sealing first keeps the grout from sticking to the stone. If you do this, I suppose you should be careful to only seal the front surface of the stone.

I missed the step where you put up green board or cement board to put the backsplash tile on. What did you end up using behind the tile?

Your kitchen looks like it is in a whole other house, it is so much of an improvement. Congratulations on doing such a good job!
    bearus2 thanked Nancy in Mich
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We installed Hardie backerboard, the back splash is all glass & I used some kind of premix w/sealer in it. I wish I had had someone to help me grout! I experienced some of that drying before I could get it wiped off myself! :( I have to say that grouting is NOT as easy as DIY how to's make it out to be! I thought I would NEVER get rid of the haze!
  • PRO
    Crogan Inlay Floors
    10 years ago
    The most affordable flooring is vinyl and linoleum is just behind it. I prefer linoleum because it is a green building material. You can also add inlays, but these do add cost:
    Forbo Marmoleum Dual Tile · More Info

San Francisco Marina Kitchen · More Info
  • aurora9908
    10 years ago
    Have u considered a pull out island?
  • PRO
    Basin Custom
    10 years ago
    Love these ideas! We sell bar stools that I think might look great with some of the ideas that have been talked about here. I will attach a picture of them. They can be customized as well. We are able to powder coat them different colors and can send you leather swatches to choose from. Good Luck! End result pictures would be fun!!
  • PRO
    ISD Kitchen and Bath Renovations
    10 years ago
    You probably cannot demo your kitchen with your budget. But you can go with a basic granite, tile backsplash. Refinish your floors, maybe cabinets. Change your cabinet hardware, sink and faucet.
  • Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago
    Duh... International Stone and Design - she is done! She did it.

Bearus2, how close to keeping within budget did you get?

I don't think we have discussed your floor yet. What are your plans? I did Marmoleum, so I can honestly say that linoleum is one of the most expensive options out there! (With no inlays like the person trying to sell you a floor above.) Do you want a softer surface that flexes so your knees, back and feet are more comfortable, or are you thinking about hard tile?
  • Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago
    Even coming close to a $12,000 budget on a kitchen remodel is great!
    bearus2 thanked Nancy in Mich
  • hawaiidreamer
    10 years ago
    I've read this whole discussion tonight...what a time you've had with all the ideas thrown at you, and decisions to make! Glad to see it's all worked out for you and you're happy with it. It looks very nice... you did a GREAT job...gives hope to some of us that haven't had the nerve to do anything except change out the handles/hardware!!
    bearus2 thanked hawaiidreamer
  • bearus2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay, the totals are in and here is what I got! Right under $14k and this is what I have to show for it: Premium cherry cabinets with full extension drawers with the soft close feature on the drawers & doors-Staggered installation complete with crown molding & trim as well as a custom island on wheels $7150. Viatera quartz counter top $3064-Granite top for island $300-60/40 Composite sink & SS pull down faucet $545-Vinyl plank floor (kitchen & laundry room) $1100-Glass backsplash $265-undercounter lights, faux tin ceiling, 2 ceiling fans w/lights, 6 recessed lights & one pendant, cabinet knobs and pulls, under mount microwave & a glass top stove (used, but new to me!). I think that is everything! Of course there is paint, plumbing and electrical hardware, trim, quarter round etc. included in the total. I have to say I am pretty proud at how it has turned out, and I think it is WAY BETTER than what I had originally envisioned after my initial consultation with the HD kitchen designer!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Hi bearus, how did you find my garden? Which you can hang out in whenever you want :)
    bearus2 thanked mefor
  • PRO
    Bellamira Design
    10 years ago
    bearus2 you should be very proud. Amazing what can be done when you are willing and able to do the footwork (and dirty work). I hope that you had some success negotiating prices too. I love your new space -- enjoy!
    bearus2 thanked Bellamira Design
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    bearus2, you are AWESOME! And your new kitchen rocks! Kudos for a job well done.
    bearus2 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Viatera USA
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the update. It looks beautiful.