Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zidog

zidog
12 years ago
I can't tell from the photo, but is this a wood burning fireplace under the TV? I want something almost exactly like this but was told you can't mount a TV over a wood burning stove or fireplace. Is there a way to do it?
Ullswater · More Info

Comments (4)

• bepsf
    12 years ago
    Of course a flatscreen can be mounted above a wood-burning fireplace - However it depends on the specific situation whether you can mount a TV above YOUR fireplace.

If you have a solid masonry overmantel - you're going to end up with big holes in the brick and exposed wires everywhere, which obviously isn't optimum for this type of installation.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    This is a gas fireplace - more specifically, a direct-vent gas fireplace.

One of the challenges with a manufactured wood-burning fireplace comes if you try to recess the TV into the wall - the size of the chimney will usually prevent much more than a recess the depth of the the wall framing. I don't recommend recessing the TV anyway (because it defines the size of the TV forever), but I would suggest recessing the mounting bracket just slightly if you have a side view where you might see the mount & wiring.

Heat usually isn't an issue over most wood-burning fireplaces simply because most wood-burning fireplaces aren't very efficient and most of the heat goes up the chimney.

On the other hand, unvented gas fireplaces (illegal in some states) produce A LOT of convective heat, so we do not recommend that you install a TV over the top of an unvented fireplace. Having said that, a lot of people do.

In this case, there are no codes that will prevent you from putting a TV over a wood or gas fireplace, but there are certainly a number of considerations - viewing height, ease of wiring, heat buildup, etc - to consider before trying it.

• zidog
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for all the info! This is very helpful.
  • PRO
    Blue Sky Building Company
    9 years ago
    Thanks Coastroad!