Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasmaia

Total Reno- Whats the order to choose? Cabinets, Counter, Floor?

texasmaia
10 years ago
We are doing a complete remodel of the living areas and kitchen in our home. I am going for a rustic/western look. Have found dozens of photos that I like one thing in, but nothing that I can say 'do this'. I am a little overwhelmed.
What order do I choose the big stuff? Cabinets first, Flooring, Counter, then walls?
Thanks so much!!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Harding Design & Construction
    10 years ago
    You should hire a designer. Looking at pictures is like shopping in a store and unfortunately most people don't have the budget to try on remodels like they do clothes.

I think it is great you are looking for things you like. I would pick the top three things you like from all the different completed remodels and show them to your designer. He or she will be able to choose materials that not only compliment your design but the original aesthetics of your home. Good luck with your project!
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 years ago
    Specifically, hire a certified kitchen designer. There are SO many details that need to be worked out when you remodel a kitchen. Go to a cabinet showroom and avail yourself of the designers that work there. He or she will be able to guide you through the process.
  • texasmaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have a contractor and designer hired. We have had several meetings already. They are in the process of drawing up a few plans to work with. I am overwhelmed at the thought of everything not going together like I want. For instance, they say we choose cabinet color first but I look at flooring and find there are very few I like. It seems to me it would be easier to pick that first since its going to be a major purchase and the same throughout then choose cabinet color to go with it.

I am not being patient I guess and waiting on them, but there is soooo much to choose!!
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I feel your pain, texasmaia. It can feel SO overwhelming, even with a designer. However, there isn't an absolutely fixed order in which everyone should choose things. It depends a bit on which categories matter most to you. So if you care about the floors throughout the house most, then you might choose those first (or at least narrow down your choices to a few favorites) and then make your cabinet choices based on your flooring options. The more you can communicate preferences to your designer, the better chance you'll have of being happy with the final result. But why don't you see first if you can do it in the order your designer is suggesting, and then if that ends up making you unhappy with flooring choices you can reverse priorities.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Please be patient and trust the professionals you have hired. If they're experienced and highly competent, they've been through this many times and can see where the project is going even if you can't. It never goes as fast as you want it to!!
  • texasmaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks much!! Will wait and see...
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Good luck and post pictures of your project!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Unless you are going with totally custom cabinets, the color choices are much more limited than carpet. First, get a good idea of what you want in general. Such as light hickory cabinets, cream color burber carpet, medium tone brown tile, solid color counter top buckskin color, stainless sink, black appliances, etc. Know that you can still Chang your mind at this point and will probably have to or go over budget. Then make darn sure you have a cabinet plan finalized. Then make a fairly definite cabinet color decision along with counter top. Take samples of your best choices, maybe more than one of each (2 cabinet colors & 4 counter colors depending on material) with you to narrow down flooring samples next. Bringing home five samples of each is maybe less than average. Stop by a paint store on the way home and take some good guesses at paint colors. Twenty different paint samples is a good place to start for your own attempt. A designer can narrow it down real quickly once they see what direction you are going. Spread it all out in the room you are remodeling and give it your best shot. It is hardly ever right the first time and you often end up having to compromise. Don't worry it will all work out in the end.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Oh, and you will most likely have to go back to most of these places and feel like your starting over at least once, but it is notes big a thing as it sounds. Sometimes you just see a better direction to go after you dive in.
  • texasmaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you sooo much, that's great advice and helps a lot. I have been a little overwhelmed! The easy part is what I don't like... I am excited to begin and will share photos as we go!
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    10 years ago
    Here's the order I recommend: Find your granite first (it's easier to decorate from the most unique item down to the least), then choose your floor based on what will look best with the granite and cabinets, then finally choose your appliances (the least unique). After those big adjustments are made you can work on little updates like hardware on the cabinets, backsplash (if you don't use granite backsplash), lighting updates, tying it all in with paint color and art on the walls etc.

There's no need to make all the decisions at once, especially since you aren't doing any changes that will leave you kitchenless for a long time. Harwood will be the longest installation, but granite only takes a few hours.

Your best bet for getting a update that is as easy a process as possible and successful as possible is to find local companies you trust to do the work. Find a local granite supplier you trust, find a hardwood floor company whose advice you will gladly take, and work with an appliance company that will deliver and install on time and properly. If you gather your "A Team," correctly, they will not just take your order, but give you guidance and advice on how to choose something you will enjoy for years to come.

Good luck!
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    What is the color you are attracted to in all those photos?
  • User
    10 years ago
    So now is when everybody starts pushing their preferences on you. Remember houzz isn't the real world. Neither is hgtv. The "in" thing around here is whatever the sales people have been pushing. You cannot "pick" your granite without knowing what size pieces you need. The first piece on the pile will look nothing like the last. Only 5% of kitchens actually end up with granite, but you wouldn't know that from these sheaple. Get a scaled and precise (exact measurements) of your entire living area and take copies to EVERY kitchen place in town. Tell them what your "must haves" and "dislikes" (remember that too much information may end up getting you the exact same plan from every designer) and pick out a cabinet that you could "live with" you can always change later, just give it your best shot for now. Now the designer has something to work with. If they have time now great, but leave it with them to come up with something thoughtful and pick it up later along with a bid. If you are going granite, make a floor plan final decision, and go reserve some actual pieces of granite. This will help you lock down other choices such as cabinet color. My two cents, tile does not go with granite.
  • Roxanne
    10 years ago
    Why doesn't tile go with granite??
  • User
    10 years ago
    Like I said, my two cents. The grout lines create a pattern that is different than anything else. It is like wearing plaid with paisley. Second, the textures are close but not quite as well as the color. It looks to me like someone was trying to match something in the dark and goofed. I would rather pick the same granite, or something else and own the look rather than have to explain to everyone that that was the closes I could find to what I really envisioned for the rest of the life of the kitchen. Imho if you can't afford the granite backsplash, or something more creative, then you can't afford the granite. Third, toiling up a wall leaves the tile hanging out on the open end of many kitchens. In those cases I much prefer the horizontal line of a traditional 4" or 6" splash.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ps. I have often re-drawn house plans and bumped out the kitchen wall so there wasn't one long continuous wall going into the next room for those customers that don't share my horizontal linear view. This gives the tiled wall a nice place to stop.
  • texasmaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh my goodness, y'all can't imagine how much I appreciate all the words of wisdom here!! I have been away from the computer and only able to read them on my phone and apologize for the delayed response.

In the meantime, we have been doing a lot, no a LOT of shopping. What we discovered is that our opinion on flooring and what we actually liked was very limited . We have found one that we loved and since it will be about 1800 sq ft of it in our home we want something we LOVE. We also found the rock veneer that we LOVE which will accent throughout the project.

The cabinets are all going to be custom built so we are trying to decide on the color to go with the flooring and the rock. Countertops will be concrete which we are so excited about and have lots of color choice there.

I am sure this is very backward to most people but after all the choices that we have been looking at we decided that the floor and rock were two things we could not go bland or compromise on.

Again, I appreciate your response very much
  • Roxanne
    10 years ago
    Yeah!! You are doing the best way!!