Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ca1634

Experts opinion required - which plan is better? Pictures attached.

ca1634
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hey guys, I've a plot which is 36 ft. wide and 60 ft. deep. I've 2 plans in my mind. First plan is to leave a passage throughout the plot to goto rear lawn and another plan is to give 2 doorways from each bedroom to goto rear lawn. First plan consumes space and second plan make other family members (besides those living in those bedrooms) difficult to goto rear lawn. I know, it's confusing as I don't much skills to make you people understand this so I've attached 2 very rough (hand-drawn) images. Please tell me benefits and drawbacks of these plans. Thank you so much!!

Comments (42)

• ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    one of those pics was not clear, so I've uploaded it again.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Agreed, it's better to have a passage outside the house to access from the front to rear.
    ca1634 thanked Dytecture
  • User
    10 years ago
    Is there a back alley? What are the neighbors doing?
    ca1634 thanked User
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    If you don't have a passage way and you want to mow the front or back lawn, depending where you keep the lawnmower, you'd need to go through the house? Just a practical detail. And you'll need to be able to get to the sides of your home for maintenance too.
    ca1634 thanked Carolina
  • PRO
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments and help. Here're some more details: I've not decided the size of bedrooms yet, because first I want to decide whether there should be a passage or not. The size of plot is 36 wide including the passage. What if the rear lawn is just used as a washing area instead of lawn? There's no back alley so there will be no exit from rear lawn because we've a neighbor house right at the back of our house.
  • User
    10 years ago
    What are you going to wash back there? Can you get some photos of what the neighborhood looks like? It sounds like this is row houses, but then there would be an ally. Without an ally, I find it hard to believe that you are allowed to build right up to your property line.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Washing area means an area where the housewives can wash clothes etc. There's no house at the moment in the neighborhood but they'll be constructed soon. I've plots waiting for construction at my back, left and right sides. The photo is attached.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ok, when the next neighbors build, do they just build right tight next to your wall? Does this mean that you can not put windows in the sides of the house?
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I read your jack and Jill thread, but still have a question. I live where there are big houses and a lot of land. We do not generally have a bathroom for each bedroom. We have plenty of land to do it but choose not to. Why do you think it is important? I would probably make this bathroom also a mud room. Then you can come in from a garden out back and clean up before going in to the rest of the house.
  • User
    10 years ago
    How big do the bedrooms need to be? If you are going to do a second floor, how far can your floor span?
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Fred S: Yes, the neighbors will build right tight next to our wall, we'll have a common wall. We can't put windows in the sides of the house. We can put windows only towards the front and rear lawns. I like your idea about a mud room, but doesn't it mean that one have to enter in its bedroom from the bathroom? Sorry, if I misunderstood the concept. Can you show me a rough picture of that? I want my bedrooms around 10 X 12 ft atleast. No, I want to create only ground floor and first floor. No second floor. If you're talking about the first floor, then it would be around 1000 Sq. Ft.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ok, we can call it the first floor above the one you enter the house on? I assume the ground floor is concrete. What do you build the floor above that with? I want to know how far it will span between walls holding it up.
  • User
    10 years ago
    What other rooms do you want on the ground floor? I want to make a sketch to see if we are talking about the same thing. It won't necessarily be what you want, but it might give us a reference.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Where I live we make houses of brick and mortar. All floors will be made of same material. The projects (I think this is you want to know) can be spanned upto 3.6 ft. I am sorry, if I didn't understand your question because I am not an architect, so can talk as a layman only :) :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    3.6 feet is either a bad conversion, or bad communications :-) How do you put a floor over a 10x12 foot room? What is the biggest room you can have without putting columns in the middle of it?
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    To give you an idea what I want. I've attached 2 images with this comment. It's my friend's house. I like the layout. His plot size is 40 X 65 ft. and I've 36 X 60 ft. Not a big difference. But I want to leave 10 ft. space as rear lawn which he didn't and I also want to leave a passage to goto rear lawn alongside the house. So, I would be really greatful if you could draw me something like that. Since my architect is not motivated enough, I don't want to invest my money in such a thing which I don't like. I want to show him creativity lives in the minds not in the spaces. Thanks
  • User
    10 years ago
    I won't be able to draw the whole thing for you, but I will give you any ideas I have.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Those plans are very interesting. I wondered how you got fresh air into the house. You must have sandy soil or not much rain, because it doesn't look like there is much place for the water to go. Where is this located?
  • User
    10 years ago
    When you say project 3.6 feet do you mean cantilever? Like a balcony with no supports on the outside?
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No problem Fred. I just need the rough ideas. Yes, the plans look good. This house lacks fresh air that's why I am considering a passage and a rear lawn, so that I can get windows opened to those areas to let the air come in. Yes, it's not at all a rainy area, except few rains in monsoon. It's located in India. Yes, I meant the balcony.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Well, we are getting somewhere. I think other people here may also get intrigued by this type of design now that they can see what it is all about. I just helped a woman from India design a kitchen. That was also a good learning experience. Do you need the cook top on the east wall?
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No idea, but must be ventilated enough. You know better :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    How wide do you think the side passage should be? Would it just be on the ground level? If you do a passage, maybe you can make up some lost space like this.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know some space will be lost. The passage should be around 4 ft. wide. What can be done to make the lost space minimum?
  • User
    10 years ago
    The east wall was more of a custom/religion question.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Have the first floor cantilevered over it in places. and not have the ten foot back yard go all the way across by putting a bedroom in the SE corner.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a restriction. We can't cover the backyard fully. Just a projection of 3.6 ft can be constructed over it.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wont' be able to post comments for next 1 hour. You please keep posting :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    It is 4:30 in the morning here. I will go to sleep unless I think of something good.
  • User
    10 years ago
    So the ground floor wall must be 10 feet from the back property line, but you can have a first floor balcony as long as it is not inside space?
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, ground floor wall must be 10 feet from back property line and I didn't understand your question about balcony. First, I would like to get idea about ground floor only please.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Just trying to get an understanding of the big picture.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great! Please back to me soon, because I got a call from architect today and he wants to show me a plan. I don't to approve that plan just because I don't have other options.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I need to know what other rooms are on this floor.
    ca1634 thanked User
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One drawing room, store room (or a study room), dining table space, kitchen and a Pooja (worship) room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    If that is the only bathroom, it really needs to be accessible from the main area. I don't know that what I drew is the best, but it gives you the idea of what I am talking about. It makes it convenient for everyone and more than one person can use different areas at the same time.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I want a jack and jill connected to 2 bedrooms and one more bathroom which would be connected with the drawing room and will be accessible from the main area (i.e. lobby) It would be for the outsiders or for the guests.
  • ca1634
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok guys, got an initial layout plan from my architect. Comments are highly appreciated. I've started a new thread for this whole new plan. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-this-plan-good-enough-or-theres-a-space-for-improvement-dsvw-vd~534312
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Since the lot you describe is smaller than my open living area, I would suggest looking at some of the "shotgun" house plans around New Orleans,LA. I think you can build up and back and get an interesting home with a loft for space. It can be done, A porch with an entry to a narrow hall at the back might work best for you. Will you plan a courtyard (closed)? or what? What part of the country are you in? What are your local codes?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    OLD THREAD!!!!