Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmie7803

Tell me the truth!

K 7803
10 years ago
What does this room need? What looks bad?
I'm so fed up with it.
Accent colors?
Don't mind the baby in the swing or the toys...we have a few kids! Lol
Can wait to hear your suggestions!

Comments (73)

• Barb
    10 years ago
    Pull some of the furniture away from the walls if you can. I have a bad habit of "squaring off a room by pushing everything against a wall, it really makes the room look more like a waiting room than a living room
  • biggrude99
    10 years ago
    scale, harmony and proportion Kimberly and then I think you will be al set.
  • kao7
    10 years ago
    My eye goes directly to the wall with the grouping of small pictures and table below. It out of scale for the room size, this would work in a hallway or elsewhere. I think you need some much larger artwork there. Or would you consider maybe changing you sofa to have the back facing that wall, then purchase a smaller chair for the opposite side??
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I don't think pulling furniture away from the walls is a good idea with small children - especially crawling ones.
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! Great recommendations! Now to find this stuff! Do u think I should paint walls a darker brown?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    NO!!! Love the colour they are.
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I can't put couch on opposite wall due to all cords coming out from wall. The buffet houses all of our cable boxes, etc.
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    I really like your room,you could get larger art piece for above that cabinet
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    OH I love your paint color btw !!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Lighter drapes unleashed, lighter lampshades, larger console and larger art above it, a little color are all this room really needs.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    A little more color...
  • teebabee
    10 years ago
    I wonder if the sofa is too dark? I am not the best person to ask because I literally hate my basement (lounge) space and have been stuck for 6 months with a basically empty space where I have sold most of my furniture on Craigslist! But, If I can offer any help to anyone else I'd say try a sofa or sectional with a brighter cover, modern print. Just seems with the dark wooden tables and dark sofa contrast with the pale walls and curtains. Good Luck!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    And the green chair returned...
  • nikikola
    10 years ago
    You can change the pozition of the sofa
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok. Went to store and found some great artwork and pillows. I'm torn between deep orange or a bright light blue for accent. Your thoughts?
  • ami09
    10 years ago
    A chair rail or wainscotting, a taller piece of furniture for more height in the room or larger art work???
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Blue. Orange. Hope this helps. Though if you're keeping the chair, I'd go green. JMO.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    I agree with those who mentioned the wall with the small photos needs improvement. There's a major scale problem on that wall, and I like what @groveaxle has done with it. Maybe you can buy a console to store the kids toys or games....

I think you have the same scale problem with the art above your couch. The set is too small for that space. If the colors match, you may be able to combine the set with the smaller pictures above your "new and improved" console.

Check out my artwork for inspiration to bring color and pattern into your room. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print very large.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Enjoy decorating!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Kimberly - When it comes to blue -v- orange I feel it depends on your room, blue is a cooling colour while orange is warm, so your room should tell you which colour "feels" the best.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    groveraxle - love the things you can do - too clever.
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can anyone find some artwork/paintings you would recommend?
  • bookworm202
    10 years ago
    I would suggest creating another space to put all the children's toys, and if that doesn't work out: I would suggest a deep red for the walls, or maybe even a light blue or cheerful yellow! This room is very pretty, but it needs a pop of color. Adding throw pillows, more pictures on the walls, and some more storage for the toys will clean this room right up! Hope this helps!
  • bookworm202
    10 years ago
    Target carries a wide selection of paintings and artwork.
  • Lana S.
    10 years ago
    I think it gets a lot better with some colour accents. Changing both the lamps for more flashy ones would definitely make a big difference. And I'd go with warm orange instead of blue - there are too many cool colour variants in your room already.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Please lighten up the drapes first. That will make an immediate and noticeable difference. Then I think you might need to repaint. You have all the elements of a great room, but it's dark and out of scale. Not a difficult fix, but tinkering around the edges isn't going to do it, I'm afraid.
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I was going to repaintvwith darker walls but would you do lighter?
  • Aunt Muffs
    10 years ago
    Lighter.
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    I wonder if you can find a shallow sofa table with shelves to replace the buffet and then the wires and cable box etc. will still have a home on that wall and then you could put the sectional in front of the sofa table and put two tall lamps at each end of the sofa table and a large colorful piece of art centered between them. Just my two cents, for now, Kimberley, as my arthritic wrist is acting up and typing tonight I find is not so pleasant. Good luck, you have a beautiful room with which to work and it'll get to where you want in no time thanks to help from houzzer pros!
  • Aunt Muffs
    10 years ago
    Take a look at art.com for artwork. I would love the Kandinsky 'Improv No 31, Sea Battle' for your room -- or anything with some nice bright colors. I think your space is great -- just needs a shot of color and personality.
  • Susan Albanese
    10 years ago
    Buy an area rug with color and pattern and take inspiration from that. Of course, coffee table, accessories in the color you pick from the rug.
  • yytcm
    10 years ago
    Don't think anyone's talked much about the sectional. It's way too dark and dreary. Not totally sure how it's connected but looks as though there is at least one curved piece on the wall section. Could that piece be moved to the other side maybe? If not, is there any way it could be separated into two sections leaving the opening between them for something colorful, maybe a tall, slim colored cabinet or at least a small colored table. And if that's not an option, then I'd at least drape a significantly colored throw over that corner to break up the heaviness. Agree with the idea of beefing up the buffet wall. Definitely change the drapes as groveraxle suggests. If you could separate the curved piece of the sectional, you might use it as a reading chair by the buffet and just add to the pictures if they are significant to you. Otherwise, have fun with all these great HOUZZER ideas, search your inner design heart, look through a lot of mags and HOUZZ images for colors that speak to you and have at it. Your room has great potential and I know you'll achieve it.
  • Cathy Foss
    10 years ago
    Scale and Height. You need a statement piece, be it furniture or bold artwork on the wall with the buffet and photos.
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We purchased the dark sectional because we have very young kids and I'm sure it will battle some wear and tear. I agree, it's not the prettiest, but with kids, it is functional. It cannot be seperated. Boo!
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    Just echoing many others: Larger framed art over the sofa, and pick up a bright color in some pillows and maybe a knick knack for the buffet. All the other suggestions will wait until your toddlers are bit older. For now, just pay attention to the areas out of children's reach. I like your furniture, and would just like to see some bright colors added to the space, and better scale for the wall decoration. I prefer that the television not be the focal point, so at least one piece of art should be larger than the television.
  • lowlowes
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Weinstein Residence · More Info
    ]
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    I agree lighter drapes would be a priority, but with small children, I'd put this off a bit. (too well remembering my little brother trying to wipe away evidence of melted chocolate onto drapes just hung)
  • Jillian McClintock
    10 years ago
    I see matching tall-back chairs covered in a colorful fabric by windows and sort of to either side of the console table. Pull colors from the chair fabric for additional accessorizing.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Lighter drapes, walls, and furniture.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    noiwh8 - chocolate on drapes - yep know that one from the past but with my grands it is now yoghurt, which shows up beautifully on dark colours. Where kids are concerned colour is really irrelevant, washable fabric and finishes are more important.

Kimberly - there are many websites with artwork and lots of examples on Houzz, but art is a very personal thing, no one can really choose for you. You also need to decide on the colour composition to achieve the accents you want for your room. Check out art on Houzz to see how the art and the colours in a painting are woven into the scheme of the room to help you decide what to look for. Dress the children up in appropriate coloured clothes, take them to a beach, a lake or a park for photos and put onto canvas prints for some starter artwork.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The room needs something colorful and/or patterned. Middle tones to balance out the dark sectional and the light carpet&walls. New patterned curtains, plus some extra pillows in the same print/color. Olive or apple green maybe? Red? Painted or paper accent wall? And it might look better with a larger medium brown wood hutch (in natural oak or red like the example above), instead of the dark brown.
    Betty Sideboard 1 Door 6 Drawers · More Info

Betsy Burnham · More Info

Loveable Living Spaces · More Info

Surrey house · More Info

NORTHERN WIDE PLANK - SHADES OF GRAY AND BLACK · More Info

Mountain Retreat · More Info

Redmond Living Room · More Info

Camden Town Residence - 110 sqm - London · More Info
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Bigger, lighter sideboard.
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 years ago
    My thinking is you just need some "bright". Paint the walls to reflect your window light. Remove the window coverings and observe how it then allows the window light to bounce around the walls and off the ceiling. Use Roman shades instead that are mounted above the window on the wall so when open they expose the entire window for light.

A bright eye catching rug in your sitting area should add the extra layer of color you need, and add a few matching pops of color with your table lamps and pillows.

Don't be afraid to paint anything; picture frames, shelves, tables, lamp bases. It' s easy and costs less than buying new, if at least just to try out ideas.

An extra slipper chair or two, in a wonderful accent fabric, could be just the additional interest you want, and it's easily movable for seating as needed.

I love window seats, and building free standing window seat benches with bright cushions under the windows can add extra dimension to the walls, as well as quick and easy storage for toys for quick room clean up. Design them as "reading nooks" for the kids with books in baskets underneath. Good luck

[houzz=
    LIving Room Window Seat · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Traditional Dining Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Eclectic Family Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Entry · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Erie Custom Home · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Santa Cruz Straw Bale House · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Reading nook with book shelves · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Kid's Bedrooms · More Info
    ]
  • Aunt Muffs
    10 years ago
    I'm attaching some art prints to give some ideas and options. As was noted earlier, art is very personal. I hope these will show that you can pick a subject that speaks to you (flowers, dogs, kids, water, landscapes, abstract, places, birds, architecture, etc) and find inexpensive artwork that incorporates what you love into your space.
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    10 years ago
    i did not read the posts and sorry if I am repeating a previous post but I think that all your art/photos are too small in scale. Try finding larger original art. Often art schools have fairs where original art can be bought at very reasonable prices. i hope this helps.
  • PRO
    Maria smith
    10 years ago
    Wireless Doorchimes

Doorbells Direct deals with attractive & affordable wireless doorbells, door chimes, remote door bells & door chimes to buy online for homes, apartments, multi-family complex.

for more information :- http://www.doorbellsdirect.com/widochanddo.html
  • razzelberry
    9 years ago
    That wall is screaming for a large piece of art. Or more photos with some larger ones thrown in there. The wall is your canvas. Find something you love and hang it there you could even use whatever you pick as inspiration for some pops of color throughout the room. Good luck
  • Loribeth DiRusso
    9 years ago
    What about something like this...
  • User
    9 years ago
    The teal items and light panels Grover did are nice. In addition, I agree that the wall with the family pictures could become a centerpiece with a colorful painting. What are you interested in? If you like horses, a great picture of a horse. If you like seascapes there are many; or a snow scene?
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago
    This space isn't as bad as you think. I agree with other post regarding the scale of the current pieces.

I would suggest and a pop of color in you fabric for the draperies. If you can't afford to replace them completely right now, consider adding trim pieces that compliment

I think it would a great idea to turn the sofa and love seat so that they are parallel to each other yet perpendicular to the fireplace.

Have you considered replacing the ceiling fan with a pendant cluster?

Finally a larger coffee table and nice area rug would work wonders for this space.

Are you familiar with Surya?

I have a few blog posts that may help you

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog
  • PRO
    Reflective Color & Design
    6 years ago

I would also change your lamp. Its too small for the sectional. Something taller and more contemporary /trend forward. Square or drum shade with matte gold base