Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sushi4all

Help me escape my 70's kitchen!

sushi4all
10 years ago
Help! I am in design distress with my 70s kitchen. I am trying to reconfigure my kitchen on a budget (like every one you know!) I took a wall out but have large windows in the back which take up most of the wall. One designer sugg a corner sink but I don't want to face the wall like in Catholic school. What does everyone think about putting the fridge between the 2 windows? I am afraid that space will be wasted now or I may ruin my natural light. Any ideas? PS. I had a brick backsplash before it was even fashionable! LOL

Comments (40)

• apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    If you post a floor plan and photos of each wall (turn on all the lights, too), you will probably get some helpful comments. You can use the online Ikea kitchen design tool for a quick floor plan.

What are your favorite parts about the room?
  • PRO
    the CAD Studio
    10 years ago
    My two cents: I would not put the Ref between the windows. I think when you get it all painted the same color it will not look so bad. Place a shallow hutch counter there instead with the two windows flaking. maybe a bench/window seat under each window. (may be hard because of the stove placement. Some kind of multiple, small and delicate artwork over the hutch, maybe with some mirrors in the may do the trick. I think the hardest part is going to be to not overdo it, i.e filling it up with large pieces. Less is better in your space. Unless it is an absolute need I would consider taking the round table set out also, due to the proximity to the dining room table

Food for thought
    Best wished

Olav
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    I would like to see a peninsula coming out from between the 2 windows. I presume that is where the wall was removed? If the room is wide enough , it could be an island instead. In either case, you would then have one table, for dining and then the island/peninsula for casual meals/snacks/gathering plus more storage (always a bonus!).

If it's possible, move the sink and the dishwasher to the island/peninsula. No more facing a blank wall while doing the dishes!
  • Adrianne
    10 years ago
    would you have room to put the sink in the peninsula and also do a raised bar?
    Kitchen and Bath Before/After · More Info
  • Adrianne
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    To do this figure at minimum... Something about 60" long from the wall (if you don't put the dish washer in the peninsula and 84" if you want a sink and dishwasher in your peninsula. 30.5" wide for 25.5" for cabs and tops and an extra 16" for raised bar.
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    One more thought - if the sink and dishwasher move to an island/peninsula, then the fridge could move to the back wall with the stove. Then maybe no cabinets, or only very shallow cabinets (desk for laptop/homework?) on the current refrigerator wall. That allows for longer island/peninsula.

Of course, your original post mentioned a budget but also wanting to reconfigure the space. I hope I haven't gone past 'reconfigure' and into 'stripped to the studs and mortgaged until kingdom come'!

have fun with your project!
  • PRO
    Dimonti's Decorative Finishes
    10 years ago
    I am not an interior designer but a few suggestions. Really hard to see but lighten cabinets with paint, add wood floors/ laminate. Remove Farm house table, (It looks like there are two sets in a small space) In between windows run a peninsula with seating (stools which face kitchen). and Floor to ceiling window treatments to extend height. Remove the tacky recessed lighting. If you can't remove brick cover with a wash of diluted cream paint . If you can't purchase new appliances then paint with black enamel paint.
  • Christine W
    10 years ago
    Not quite sure what your overall plan is but you have some good opportunities to make it modern on a budget. I would wrap the kitchen around to just short of where the yellow paint is now. That may require you replace the window to make it shorter so the counters dont' obstruct useable window space. Then I would put the sink in the window (and not the corner). Then I would take out all of the upper cabinets and replace them with open shelving in white and then see if you can find a scratch and dent range hood to put where the old one is now. Then you can eliminate one of the dining tables (the round one would be my pick) and then you can lay down some inexpensive laminate floor tiles (they have some that look like slate that are mad pretty). Then address the lighting. Replace the central flourescent with a high pendant and add some pot lights and under cabinet lighting. If you could squeak it out I would flip the fridge with the counter it is next to (just switch their positions and to give the fridge side of the kitchen some feeling of being built in get rid of the lower and upper cabs next to the fridge and replace them with a full height pantry that conforms with fridge depths. the brick is nice as a back splash but really dates the kitch so unless it is real brick and not a veneer then you may want to consider painting it or putting in simple backsplash tiles. Home D now carries simple subway tiles that make a great diy weekend project and Lowes even has them in sheets. Good luck
  • Laura Wagner
    10 years ago
    Everyone has a different definition of remodel. Before you make any decisions meet with a realtor. They can guide you on how much remodeling you should do. Most kitchens, even in depressed markets, return 70%. Without a correct scale it is tough to design. With a total gut I would make it u- shaped. Put the stove between the windows (cheaper to vent to exterior wall) and you can make the hood the focal point. Looks like your windows are below standard base cabinet (34") plus countertop height(1-2"). Use wall cabinets under the windows instead of base cabinets. Wall cabinets are shallower and come in varying heights (they come in 2" increments--30" would probably work). I would do a drop in stove instead of current freestanding. the stove cabinet has a spot for single oven plus it allows your countertop to run the length of that wall. Your countertop will have a small step down to the cabinets under the window and then counters will step backup on the sink wall. It will give you a very high end custom look. I'd use glass front cabinets on the sink wall to brighten it (all the way to ceiling). A counter depth refrigerator on the other leg of the "u" and a tall pantry cabinet next to refrigerator. I would put the microwave on the sink wall. Hope this gives you some ideas!!! Good luck
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    Good call on taking out the wall!
    Great comments here.
    If you want to say with an L shape design across the window, make sure you encase the fridge with a top cabinet and sides, so it does not look like a lonely bystander. The more your fridge will be centered on the wall, the more light you will get into the space from both windows.
    If you are considering new cabinets, I would recommend a lighter colour to go with your special backsplash...
  • Jan Kane
    10 years ago
    Ikea kitchen plan worked really well for me. Here is my new kitchen from ikea
  • PRO
    Mother and Son Interiors
    10 years ago
    Need to see the whole floor plan before configuring; size of room and each wall, etc.. How does the room flow with the rest of the house? Where is the entryway/s? I would definitely place the sink so that it faces the sitting area; works great for passing dirty dishes and when entertaining. Can't be sure without seeing the rest of the space but I'd probably put the frig where the stove appears to be - definitely not between the two windows. Have fun. Good luck!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    No need to re-install plumbing! Switching some of the cabinets might be a better option. It will require a new countertop though.. The fridge could go in the right hand corner, by rearranging those cabinets and installing a single sink. Remove the cabinets from the right side corner of the kitchen and place the lower cabinets opposite the stove with a panel to finish off the back side. Or make an nice little bar against it, of course.

Write down the measurements of the cabinets you have and see if you can puzzle them in such a way to make it all fit on one wall. The extra counterspace is made with your repurposed 'island'.

Sand down parts of the doors and drawers for a nice (controlled) shabby look. When you don't like it, you can always paint them.

I've added a little photo-chop to help visualise my idea. Hope it will help!
  • sushi4all
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all of the great ideas! We are planning to do an island to help with counter space. @laura...never thought about the stove there. Love the focal point idea for the back window. I am going to have to do some online designing to see what it would look like. We have red oak throughout so the plan is to run the red oak hardwood into the kitchen for continuity, have snacks or lunches for kids at the island and smaller circular table in the dining area. The dimensions of room are 142" by 260", with a supporting wall of 93" where the fridge is. The other areas of that wall are open. It is a tricky design because of the large windows so I may also have to consider shortening/replacing the kitchen window which will be costly.
  • ninabonnie
    10 years ago
    u need to gut it all out ,,replace floors natural wood flooring ,update ur kitchen with new stainless steel applainces ,,withwith built in commercial oven ,a grill top ,with granite with a curved breakfast bar (2 tier for stainless steel sink) ..with mosaic back splash .....with small space u should go with a round table ...walls should be painted a wheat color ,recess lighting ...with more ammenites.
  • parisgirl1970
    10 years ago
    For once- someone kept their white appliances!. It's actually refreshing! We don't all have to follow the stainless steel train--do we? This needs a few tweaks or more but I like the dark cabinets against the white and your brick back splash. Your floor? Maybe a blonde hard wood that picks up a color in that back splash. Your kitchen set needs serious updating. Too country-ish for what I see here. Choose one set of table and chairs--and I hope it's the newer more modern one. Have fun!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Repurposed is the new new in the Netherlands. So from my point of view you can use the cabinets when they're good to go another round (with some paint, new hinges, etc). And if the dining set is a little worn but doesn't fall apart it's fabulous!
    Plus when it comes to style, the set fits in perfectly with the seventies look. I think you can pull this off with some rearranging and new countertops and fixtures.
    This comment is mostly about the pictures I found, don't you just love them? :)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    New recessed lights in ceiling, will go a long ways in this kitchen. The brick and very dark cabinets are not working. Cabinets look in good shape. I would remove or paint the brick, a white. If you can remove go a lighter backsplash, in the whites, gray and aqua glass long tiles. Paint walls a pale aqua, with white trim. Go granite on counters in the creams and grays. Roman shades on windows in white. Why do you have two table in a area. Remove round one replace with island, with storage, and with same granite . Make with a overhang so you can put counter stools. On floors slate is very nice. Some big 5 ft high art on wall between windows. Stainless app. Are always nice, use brush nickel hardware, on cabinets.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I refinish ton's of kitchen's. Paint and glaze goes a long way. Good Luck.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Forgot to mention, go with a professional to paint cabinets. If you want them done professionally it should be done with Lacquer and/or paint, a sprayer to spray finish is a must. Doors should be removed when refinishing and get a sample.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Just saw post on floors. It's always good to continue flooring and paint colors from room to room. Makes it look bigger.
  • PRO
    Stone Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    I agree with KMKH, move the sink & dishwash to a new island then move the frig over to the same wall as the stove. By doing this it will open the room up & give you more working space that will capture the natural light. You are on the right path and have a great number a valuable suggests to help guide you. If you are considering natural stone countertops, let me know if you have any question.
  • PRO
    Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Hi, we make natural marble mosaic in nice designs. I would like to propose you some mosaic pattern, mosaic picture, and mural for your kitchen decoration in flooring, wall, and backsplash.

More design available via: http://www.mosaics.cc/
    Email: service@marblemosaic.cc
  • janadiane
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't replace the brick with tile. If you wanted a lighter color you could paint it and you would still have a nice texture. A solar tube or skylight might be an option for more light. These are easy budget friendly options. It looks like you might have walls painted that flat white that actually seems to absorb the light. Repainting with a sheen finish helps. With the color tile you have a pale golden hue might be nice. I repainted my light absorbing flat white walls a lovely pale golden hue and I love it. It is very subdued and adds light and warmth. It is also a surprisingly neutral color for all seasons. Be sure a paint a sample before committing. There are so many tones.
  • janadiane
    10 years ago
    The color is probably different on different computer monitors so I doubt this helps.
    sushi4all thanked janadiane
  • PRO
    Willow Home Projects
    10 years ago
    If you cannot relocate the sink to the wall with the windows due to budget restrictions, I'd whitewash the brick with white paint. Paint it white and while it is still wet, lightly wipe off the bricks, leaving the white paint in between the bricks and leaving a light coat on the bricks themselves. Paint all cabinets white (or reface them) and put new pulls on the doors and drawers. Under the windows, place a very long buffet or cabinetry from your favorite home improvement store. Place a new counter tops on new cabinetry and in sink area.
  • sushi4all
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone. Keep the ideas coming. I am very grateful that you are all helping me think out of the box. To everyone wondering why there are 2 tables...It is because the wall was there and we had an eat in kitchen. We will get a new set for the dining area after we remodel. I think the brick backsplash will have to go and I really like what sstarr proposed with the stove on the supporting wall. Going to Ikea soon to see if I like the quality. I definitely am in a modern mood with this reno and tired of dark cabinets.
  • PRO
    Mother and Son Interiors
    10 years ago
    Do you have a dining room?
  • janadiane
    10 years ago
    If you are getting new cabinets don't have a gap between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling. It looks choppy and collects dust.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Ikea kitchens are terrific. I put one in a house I sold down in MA... it was the main attraction to buyers. I would definitely put one in again.
    Ikea offers very good quality for the money.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    And oh by the way, that is an Ikea stove in the drawing. ;-)
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    To lighten the room, here's the look with modern white cabinets, and clear glass tile backsplash. The stove wall is corregated metal.
  • Lanitra Bynum
    10 years ago
    Paint the walls a color from the tan family, need stainless steel appliances, stainless steel knobs, new kitchen faucet and light colored porcelain tile on the floor. The cabinets are fine but you also need some crown moulding around the ceiling.
  • PRO
    Diane Kremer, ASID CID
    10 years ago
    WOW, tons of good suggestions. All great ideas but for the most part, just that ....ideas that are not really executable because there is not enough information here to develop a workable plan. While it is fun to talk about, it is not really useful information.

I am a professional designer (27 years). Without a lot more information, no reasonable nor actual recommendations can be made. That is where someone like me come is. We know the right questions to ask to get you on track. Designers are not scary and can save you money in the long run. We are just people that have specific training, skills, resources and experiences that can help you. Just like your CPA, teacher, fireman, etc.

I have always want to help those DIY'ers but for the most part DIY'ers don't call designers. I think that is a universal mistake and people should invest in a few hours with a professional. You would be surprised how helpful it would be. Custom work is expensive by its very nature. So, for those that want some professional advice and are willing to put the work into their projects to execute that advice, I will share with you some useful tips.

Here are the things you need to have in order to have a productive conversation. Once you have all this information together, my second recommendation would be to invest 2-3 hours with a local kitchen designer (some kitchen shops offer free advice if you purchase cabinets or spend $200-500 for real useful advice you can then execute. If you do not have $200, call a local college and see if an advance student would like to "practice or intern" on your project.

OK, let's get started. Get a cup of coffee, a yellow pad and pen and get to work: Here is your work assignment:
    1. Photos: Take straight on photos of all four walls in good light
    2. Inventory: list everything you have now and what will stay and what will go
    3. Floor plans: Draw several plans all to scale or at least with good measurements...the floor plans should show the location of the windows, doors, light switches, existing cabinets, location of sink, appliances, sizes. Start at the top/front of the room as you walk in and go around the room from left to right as you measure.

This is the first thing I would do if I came to your home.

4. Elevations: Draw all four walls ... This is called an elevation...And draw with measurements, each wall separately. Include the sizes using the width first x height of the doors, windows, cabinets, upper cabinets, etc. Don't forget to include the height of the windows from the floor to sill which will help you understand how to use the space, show where all outlets, light switches are, width of molding, do not forget anything, for example, if you need storage and want something under the window, will it fit? cabinets are 36" tall .. tables are 30" tall. And measure from the top of the window to the ceiling as well. Sketch, nothing fancy, but include all measurements on each wall with appliances, etc.
    5. Now the hard part. List everything you want in and from your space. Everything. Then another list of how you use the space. Another on how you want it to feel. Once you have these lists, go back and prioritize your "want" list. Then, divide the prioritized list into 3 or 4 sections. This is called the scope of the job.

We are now ready to talk about costs. There is a huge difference between cost, value and budget. People often confuse their budget with a cost of project.

6. At this point, you have a very good understanding of your space, it's limitations, what you want, and how important certain things are to you and your family. Since you don't do this everyday, you have no idea of the cost of things.. But you do know...how much money you have to invest and how much time you have available to get the job done (your time has real value). You are now ready to put a number to your project. Now the cost of a given "scope of work,is what it is...no more no less. The budget has to therefore match the scope. Replace the word "budget" with a number. Budget means a lot of different things to different people. For example, if you are building a 10 story building, your "budget" could be $20 million. If you are adding a deck, it may be $2,000. In either case, both may be "on a tight budget". Budget to me means nothing without the scope, type of house, dollar investment and needs of the client. The range can be huge....for a "new kitchen" between $50,000 to $100,000 for a complete re-do. A cosmetic remodel from Be realistic, if you have $500 and time on you hands, paint the walls and cabinets and change the knobs. If you want to move sink, appliances, etc...save your money until you have enough to do what you really want as you will need professional help, contractor, plumber, etc. and they will need a plan to guide them. Remember I asked you to prioritize and then divide the project into pieces? Well, if the budget won't cover your dream kitchen, maybe you can do it over time. Whatever you do, you HAVE TO PUT a realistic dollar amount and a plan. Just saying, I am on a budget, doesn't get anyone anywhere. Put a number to it and then talk to people.

Now, you have tons of information that can solve your problems and give your wonderful space, kitchen, bath, bedding, whatever your project may be.

Last part....Here is where I would then get some professional advice. I would recommend paying for that advice because you get what you pay for! You can then execute the plan with or without the designer and you will...I guarantee it... have better results.

Would you do taxes or go to your local CPA without all your paperwork. Same thing. Good interior design takes planning and hard work whether you are doing it on your own or with a professional. My very best and I hope my recommendation are helpful. Good luck.
    sushi4all thanked Diane Kremer, ASID CID
  • sushi4all
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Diane. Thanks for all of the sound advice and taking the time to post. I did spend time with one kitchen prof and was told that her design was the best suited for us so that is why I reached out here. I am one to gather many ideas and share creatively with others. If I go with IKEA, I know there are designers that do IKEA exclusively so they will help for a nominal fee of $200-$300. In the grand scheme of things, I agree it is money well spent.
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    Changing things up is always exciting! If you have any questions about cabinetry or would like to explore design options, feel free to reach out to us :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    10 years ago
    Our 2 cents: don't forget to put in a ventilation hood!

Replacing an under-cabinet hood (which are typically under-powered) with a full-size wall-mount hood (a.k.a. "chimney style") would make a major difference in terms of air quality, as well as cooking in comfort.

For more information about the benefits of having a range hood, please feel free to check out this article:

http://www.futurofuturo.com/rangehood-FAQ-10-reasons-to-have-a-range-hood.php
  • Adrianne
    10 years ago
    Diane, Some of the people replying..,, are actually professionals.

With Houzz it gives people a way to see what is out there and what is working for others.
    For me, I love when customers have been on Houzz gathering information.. For me that is very useful when someone comes in and knows what they want to achieve.
    Working with someone that has perspective on what they want is wonderful.
    Remodels are the most complicated; they are the most non profitable.
    Designers typically work in remodels.
    New construction is the most profitable.
    We give contractor discounts not interior designer discounts.
    sushi4all thanked Adrianne
  • timberplace
    10 years ago
    Wow Diane...you are very generous to impart your knowledge here...something most designers do not volunteer. My feeling is if someone is going to spend the money on a renovation, why not do it the right way, use the experts' knowledge so that it turns out right...otherwise you are taking the chance that all of your money spent won't give you the intended result!