Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephmomofthree

Flooring: Wood Look Tile or Wood in New Construction Family Home?

stephmomofthree
10 years ago
We are buying a new construction home and need help deciding on flooring. We have an open floor plan with the kitchen, dining and living areas all together, so consistent flooring is important. We could go with grey wood-look tile that is very realistic looking or oil finished distressed wood (Provenza Heirloom) that has a bit of grey but more beige. We have a gentle 50 lb yellow lab, a 3 year old, 2 year old and newborn and tile hurts my feet and legs when cooking for any length of time. What should we do?!? Also, hoping to do it after-market so as not to add to the purchase price and increase our taxes. Thoughts?

Comments (8)

• yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    what material is the hardwood?
    if it's oak or harder than oak, then i say hardwood.

if it's a soft wood like pine (or non-woven strand bamboo), then do the tile.

that said, if tile hurts your feet, then forget the tile, and get the hardwood.
    get a true 3/4" solid wood, and it'll stand up well to abuse, and if need be, you can always sand it and refinish it when the littles are grown up.
  • stephmomofthree
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, looking at engineered wood that us oak and oil finish, so it looks distressed but can only be refinished a time or two. Light grey or more golden?
  • nolam
    10 years ago
    Go for wood. Can you post pictures of the possible finishes?
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    what color do you like more?

light grey is a very modern look, while golden feels more traditional.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    I dont know why you would consider a product that only allows itself to be refinished 1 time. I would purchase a white oak floor direct from the mill (like us) and then use one of Rubio's oil/wax finishes to give the floor the look you want. Here is a link to their list of colors. http://www.monocoat.us/Creative-Effects/ Email me for a mill direct quote on solid 3/4" white oak flooring. joel@eutree.com
  • PRO
    Wholesale Flooring Orange County
    10 years ago
    Steph,
    Your question is a very common one. I install all types of hardwood, laminate, stone and tile flooring and I will share with you the same advice I give to all my clients. There are lots of great floors out there and each has their own strengths. The thing with these discussion boards, try to filter out the advice that serves the interest of the poster. Before deciding, you need to consider your lifestyle, subfloor, design style, and budget. I can type for the next hour breaking down the pros and cons of each decision or I could spend 5 minutes on the phone to help you make a more informed decision. Good luck with your project.
    Patrick Peyton
    714-269-3364
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    We have Mirage prefinished engineered wood floors. They look beautiful when first installed. We also have a lab and he tends to pee in the house sometimes when we are gone for long periods of time. The pee gets in between the planks and they are starting to warp. Also, putting prefinished in the kitchen you also have to watch out for spills getting in the seams. Our floor scratches easily. Truthfully, I'm sorry I put this floor in and will not do it in my next house. I would rather go with a wood floor that is finished once installed and sealed. I find that tile is so much easier to keep up with especially with small children and a dog.
  • PRO
    Wholesale Flooring Orange County
    10 years ago
    Laurie, the only problem with site finished floors is that their finishes are not as durable as engineered wood. But I do feel your pain.