Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyjess3

Old farmhouse table color help

Jess
10 years ago
I just picked up this old table for my kitchen with the plan to refinish it. Our house/kitchen is pretty much a blank slate right now because we just moved in and haven't started remodeling yet. I am having a hard time picturing and choosing what color to do. The room is an open concept living room, kitchen and dining room. The living room has furniture that has black tops and white distressed bottoms. The kitchen has not been redone yet so I am not too concerned with it matching that yet.

All the pictures I seem to find are all with the wood stained top and white or black bottom or stained all the same color. Does anyone have any color suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Jess
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I should add that I am not really going for a country look in the dining room either. I love an eclectic comfortable feel. If that makes sense. lol
  • meganrubicorn
    10 years ago
    I'm having this same problem. The only solution I've been able to come up with is doing it a neutral color. For my room i am leaning towards a distressed gray. Then playing up chairs, cushions, bench or mixture to "jazz" it up a bit. Don't know if this helps... Look up refinished or painted table ideas. If you want something more fun wait until you get the rest of the house together then decide.
    Jess thanked meganrubicorn
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If the table top is in good condition, perhaps all you need is to paint the bottom. Here are some paint ideas plus chair options.
    Arcadia · More Info

Wells Hill · More Info

KitchenLab · More Info

Glenn Gissler Design · More Info
    Jess thanked Chem K
  • PRO
    Amy Wax
    10 years ago
    A two toned wood stain is also a great look. What I would suggest is a natural wood stained top - comparable to a jar of honey. IF you would like the legs to be a different color, and aren;t ready to commit to a color as of yet.. you can always go with a dark wood stain - Jacobean for example. Is has the richness of wood but it is so rich and saturated it has the elegance of a black with more warmth to it.
    Jess thanked Amy Wax
  • PRO
    Brandon Roberie
    10 years ago
    My wife had a table she had salvaged that had seen better days. The countertop was of a dissimilar wood and there was no way I was going to waste stain on pine. What I ended up doing for her was painting the entire table a funky real she liked and then went back over it with a white antique crackle finish. It actually came out really good. We were going to use it in our kitchen however she decided to go with a smaller table after it was finished. She thought this one was too large for our space once we added chairs to it.

Some times you have to play around with splashes of color. Our house for the most part is very neutral. Basically every room is in the palette of grays, including gray/off white cabinets with white marble counters. It's very classic yet without something to draw your attention to it from time to time things can get a tad boring. It's always easier to change out furniture or accent pieces rather than reprinting it every few months when the wife decides its time for a change lol
    Jess thanked Brandon Roberie
  • Carl Hakim
    10 years ago
    I think I would strip it down to the natural color and then use a lot of coats of heavy clear varnish
    Jess thanked Carl Hakim
  • sbw1220
    10 years ago
    I had a glossy black dining room table that I recently stripped with the intention of staining it. I was surprised with the color result after stripping it and loved the way it looked on its own. You may want to strip the table and see what you get before deciding. Here are before and after photos.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think you could decide your favorite accent color for the top. Paint the bottom white.
  • gemstar64
    10 years ago
    Love the Wells Hill table above - the grey color so modern, the table so traditional. I love mixing styles!
    Jess thanked gemstar64
  • Jess
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! What does everyone think about mixing finishes on wood furniture in the same space? My living room, dining room and kitchen are all open. I currently have redone the furniture in my living room to have black tops and white legs (old dresser for the tv, end tables and coffee table). I really like the gray, but I am concerned that it would look funny. Maybe I would be better off going a bold color? Or sticking to black so everything flows well?

So many decisions!!! Lol
  • Jess
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I also have a hutch that is currently white and I was planning on painting that as well. Would you match the leg color? It's not solid wood throughout so I couldn't stain it, but it should paint nicely.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Use an accent color other than black for the table top. Legs white. Add something different in this room rather than repeating too much of a good thing. I would use the same accent color in accessories and art and drapes to tie this room together.
    Jess thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think I'd keep the hutch all white. It's best not to have every furniture piece two colors. I don't think gray would work for you.
    Jess thanked LB Interiors
  • B Carey
    10 years ago
    I would do a stained top/painted bottom...or an all black would be very nice. The legs have a lot going on, maybe black legs with a darker stained top?
  • lesliemahler
    10 years ago
    Aqua.