Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacie_wilcox

Ugliest wall ever?

Stacie Wilcox
10 years ago
Please excuse the mess! I am at a complete loss about how to handle this wall! I want to go for softer colors, and just added BMW sea haze to one wall- with plans to paint the rest of the walls in the same color. My hubby is horrified by the idea of painting wood, but I am wearing him down. I plan on doing the kitchen with sea haze walls, white uppers, and java gel stain on the bottom (I can't stand the oak for one more minute). Not sure how to tie the rooms together?

Comments (87)

• fancypet
    10 years ago
    I had a house with red brick all the way down the hallway full length of the house. I painted the whole thing with an off white including the grout. Now it looks like a textured wall. As for your bookcases and mantel how about a darker paint or stain to stand out or lighter to blend in.
  • santos123
    10 years ago
    The wall is not ugly and I would not get rid of the wall. As a matter of fact I think that the problem is not on the wall, but on the color of the book cases you have by the wall. If I were you I would change the color of them (by using a different color). I would also change the rag and the cover of the sofas. The cover make them look old and ugly. I would change the lamp from the ceiling and I would put crown moulding (painted in black) in the ceiling. I would also move the book cases from the wall because they make the living room too crowded.
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Paint the rock wall, the mantle, the book cases and everything on that wall White Dove. You might want to paint an accent on the inside backs of the bookcases to match the other walls. You can pain the end tables and coffee table the same Java as the cabinets. This is the least expensive solution. Once that whole wall is white and you add your own art and accessories, it will look good. Spend any extra money on a great hanging light fixture. You do not need crown molding. It can come later. Add a new throw rug in your colors under the coffee table and throw pillows in your colors. De-clutter all of the knick knacks on the shelves. Use baskets to contain the clutter on the shelves. You can get nice ones at Target.
    Stacie Wilcox thanked Susan Berry Design, Inc.
  • Christine Watts C.
    10 years ago
    Stacie, it looks much better already now that the dark grout has been lightened--it's amazing!:)
    Stacie Wilcox thanked Christine Watts C.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Stacie...married 35 years to a "don't paint the wood!" husband. For the back of the bookcases, you can try this. Get some paintable wallpaper (it comes in varying textures, I used a linen weave look.) Paint it your wall color. If the shelves on the bookcases are removable, take them out, and even if you are not brave enough to paper to the wood, attach the painted wallpaper to the back horizontally, with what would be a seam at a shelf edge. You can use a temp spray mount to attach without "ruining" the finish, OR attach tightly around the edges with double stick tape. More work and careful cutting with a sharp X-acto knife required if the shelves don't come out, but it completely alters the bookcase look, and carries your wall color to the rock wall. Excellent job on lightening the grout! I might suggest...snug the shelving up tight to the hearth, and leave the vacant space at the wall sides. Also, the room might appear more open and light without the area rug. Just remember--it's his house too! Compromise is a great relationship skill. :)
  • Cynthia Celenza
    10 years ago
    I married to a "don't paint the wood" guy too. But maybe he would except staining the wood a darker shade?
  • PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Does often seem a pity to paint timber but sometimes its a must, maybe your husbands friend could build the whole wall in with cupboards and shelves, then paint the lot white or whatever colour you like this way you will never have to look at that wall again some nice soft L.E,D, lighting would look great. If you wanted to add colour you could wallpaper on the back of the open shelves and maybe even in a selection of different papers and patterns.
  • bsciorti
    10 years ago
    The suggestion of lightening the grout is a great idea. I may consider removing the book cases and the mantel and instead trying to add a modern touch with floating shelves in a painted color. The stone, as a back drop, would provide texture and the painted look would mod it up and neutralize things
  • litehearted
    10 years ago
    I would lighten the grout on the wall as suggested, but leave the rest of the room as is {but maybe wallpaper the backs of the shelves as suggested}. Do what you envision for the kitchen. Then take stock of where you are at and whether you need to do anything further to tie the two rooms together. If your kitchen has standard sized cabinets, you might be able to replace the doors rather than paint/stain them if it is not cost prohibitive. :)
  • Karyl Anne
    10 years ago
    You're doing great so far. The lighter grout helps a lot. Am I seeing stone at the back of the bookcases or is the back solid? I'm with those who would move them if they must stay stained wood... OTOH I'm a huge fan of paint even over wood and here's why... paint is easy to do, inexpensive yet worth it's weight in gold to give something a new look. This last bit got my own "wood" DH to let me paint over knotty pine paneling... Paint doesn't have to be forever. It can be stripped and the wood stained back if you ever want the wood again. :-)
  • Dorothy Fouts
    10 years ago
    I agree with lightening the grout. The oak would look better refinished (how about a color-tinted natural finish?) Move tall bookcases to other wall and sofa facing fireplace and over-sized chair to window side at angle. New natural texture blinds on windows. If something was done to remodel the 3 units on the stonewall look like 1, would improve the look.
  • cruud
    10 years ago
    paint the rock wall charcoal gray to make it go away! then paint the wood in crisp white...done!
  • intyminty4me
    10 years ago
    Making the grout lighter is helping! If is phony stone, I would have no qualms about painting it to reduce it to a textural element. You can always rip it out at a later date. Make sure you unbolt those bookcases and treat all the grout at the same time; it would be a bear to try to match your treatment later. If you must live with it, then showcase the texture and get some design value from it. Take the bookcases off that wall so you can see it!!!

I think one of the problems with the room is the axial symmetry. The bookcases, couches and coffee table placement are reinforcing this static arrangement. It's hard to judge their scale from the photo but if you can form an "L" and still have good flow in and out of the space, I would try that. At a later date, you could eliminate one couch and add a couple of single chairs. I find that getting the abstract balance right in the massing of stuff, flow and function needs to happen before the finishes.

I don't see a flat screen TV and I don't know if you two like to be cozied in near the fireplace but consider how you would prefer to "live" in the space. Whether the window view is a good one or if you will mostly use the room in the evening and would like to place your large couch under the window and then have a large wall to work with for TV etc. The bookcase(s) could flank a low TV table. If their style is not what you really want, use them as placeholders temporarily or shift one or both to another room. A simple extra-wide dowel rod hung near the ceiling with the panels stacked to the left of the window could make the window appear wider, anchor the large couch and provide blackout so you don't have a window reflected in the TV. A single panel to the right of the window completes the illusion. Keep it simple and modern.

I think the changes you are making to the kitchen palette are going to drive changes to the living room. The oak is very matchy-matchy and dated. While you will need to repeat the kitchen tones as themes or accents to tie the rooms together, a little something for the wood floor to relate to will keep it warm. This is not a bid for the oak it could be pottery or a different coffee table. I wouldn't hesitate to paint, pickle or distress that oak! Paint would highlight the texture of the grain and pull your kitchen palette into the room. Very current! Stripping the coffee and end tables then rubbing paint into the grain would relate to the rustic stone in a small way and you can put your feet up. Vary their tones slightly.

Have fun, paint is cheap! Bottom line, dated looking oak furniture creating a dated looking interior is sad. Playing with their finishes to bring them a fresh current look as part of a lovely room ensures they have a new lease on life and would make their maker proud to see them loved.
  • nanalovesdesign
    10 years ago
    I married a "don't paint the wood" guy, and we painted our Cherry woodwork, cabinets too. We also painted a coffered cherry ceiling. He is SOLD on the paint. We went with BM White Dove. Everyone that had a "thing" for not painting wood, loves the transformation, even my tree hugging friends.
    What would you think of leaving the rock on the bottom and sheetrocking over the top stone? That would be after putting the bookcases he loves in a guest bedroom or office.
  • craljh
    10 years ago
    When everything is done or at least decided on you may want to edit the things on your shelves. There is a thread here [forgot the name} where she changed the way things were displayed on her shelves and I couldn't believe the transformation just with something as simple as that. I will try to find the thread, it may interest you. Love the grout painted !! What a big change from something so simple !!
  • craljh
    10 years ago
    I found the thread. It is called Great Room Update Needed.
  • PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Yes lightening the grout is a great idea and paint the mantle white.compromise on the shelves as others have suggested if you lke the stone wall, and use the shelves elsewhere you could even add tinted glass doors to the shelving this way you wouldnt see so much of the timber and they can be used as display cabinets book shelves or storage!
    Stacie Wilcox thanked Essentia Interior Design
  • karinachki
    10 years ago
    You can paint the oak white and add white mouldings to the ceiling/top of wall. It will pull the whole room together.
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Wow, what Stacie can do in less than 33 hours? Lookin' good! Pardon me if this has already been addressed but wondering if you using Restoreit finish on the shelves would help you fall in love with them since they are apart of the family. :) Just a fleeting thought. Now, I'll go back to my painted corner. :) Keep up the good work. Lots of great ideas. So little time but Stacie can do. (grins) Applause Button.
  • smdrovetto
    10 years ago
    Hi Stacie!

I would look at doing a "wash" on the kitchen cabinets. There has been a brand mentioned by several Houzzers, (It's a woman's name) that gives a more subtle, modern effect than paint.

I painted a kitchen.........................once. Remember with cabinets, you have to paint the outside, inside of the doors, the casing, inside also, possibly, the edges, deal with hardware.....

Do you care if the wood grain, which is prominent on oak, shows through? Unless you pretreat the surface, or maybe they have special paint, but it's a consideration. Nonetheless, cabinet surfaces have to be perfect, and with white paint, streaks, etc show.

Washes come in several colors, and opacities, and are subtle, but dramatically change the look of wood.You can use washes on your fireplace also.
  • smdrovetto
    10 years ago
    Hi Stacie, The brand I was talking about is Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.
    Gives cabinets an "airy cottage feel."
  • boxplayer
    10 years ago
    Lightening the grout on the stone wall is hugely successful. Someone suggested doing something to raise the shelves on the sides of the fireplace up to the ceiling, but I think that will make the room look even narrower. I would LOWER them to the height of the mantle, paint them and the fireplace surround a light neutral color that picks up some of the tones of the stone, and then hang one or more WIDE pieces of art above. I also agree with the suggestion to re-arrange the furniture into an L shape to take the corridor-like feeling out of the room. The window looks kind of lost and mis-positioned the way it is.
  • smdrovetto
    10 years ago
    Hi Stacie.

This would be a pretty easy project to do, comparitively.

Your fireplace would need to be extended wider, and fitted against the bookcassed to make it look like a buitl it unit. The only other thing things are the two pieces of molding following the surround upt to the ceiling.

I used white, cream, light blue, and honey., I started out staining the rocks a very sheer gray eggplant, which also looked kind of cool, but a couple of pieces of wall board to paint woud be fine.

I didn't actually touch the mantel, so it might surprise you if you can and look nice if you donlt touch that.

I really like it with that pretty shade of pale green you chose, and also your existing furniture.
    Stacie Wilcox thanked smdrovetto
  • Stacie Wilcox
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update! Finished wall (except for upper corner hubby is going to have to complete for me). Painted the mantle, and not convinced that I like it. It has amplified some weird shades in the rocks. Now I am seeing pinks. Thinking about stripping it back down and trying a deeper stain on the wood?
  • PRO
    Sheri Wilson Fine Art
    10 years ago
    smdrovetto *love that image you shopped. Stacie The wall accents your rugs an everything. Amazing what one thing and two and three make. I like the mantle. But we're not seeing it up close and personal as you
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Paint firepl. Remove side units, not doing anything. Add bench seating instead with pillows in a print to match sofas. Or if not in budget. Add two big faux palms in ceramic pots to each side. Art or mirror or over sofa. New panels. 2 shades darker than walls. Color you picked sounds nice. New taller lamps go drum style shades. Darker than wall color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    On windows no swag on top just add to ends only. I would get darker end tables and a round coffee table dark. Ikea has good deals. Add color in pillows. Remove litter. Add a small round table to end of blue sofa. Add a plant to it. Add a 24" gold sunburst Mirror over firepl hang 5" above mantel. Add tall wood candlesticks 3 to end if mantel. Ck TJMax for accents.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove brown print area rug. Not working.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Drop a drum style chandelier over coffee table . For interest.
  • craljh
    10 years ago
    I see the pinks you are talking about. Maybe you could add a little mauve or raspberry to accent. I would feel bad that you would have to strip the paint. Maybe you could paint the fp the same color as the walls or someone who knows more about it may suggest a shade darker than the wall. I really do like the color on your walls. Do you ?
  • Stacie Wilcox
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hubby is actually on board with anything I want to do now. He has given up, lol. The decorating suggestions are nice, but yeah, I'm working on the big impact items right now : ).
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Holy cow! You are GOOD! Took me until about year 15 of the 35 to not see the aghast look about painting wood. It was probably because your mantel and the rock wall turned out so well. You've done such a nice job! :)
    Stacie Wilcox thanked nwduck
  • Natalie Potyonek
    10 years ago
    What a change. Don't forget the grout on the hearth. I agree that white or off white might not be the right choice for the Bookcases. I think going darker would really warm it up and keep the items from competing. I also noticed that you changed the window covering from swag to sheer...nice and simple. Look how changing the grout made the wall to the right show darker. What about the painted mantle do you not like? Be sure to use high gloss when painting woods. Flatter paints will look chalky. I think you're on your way! Keep posting pictures! Love it!
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Wasn't expecting that mantel paint- too white, needs to be toned down. Go with a greige.
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/revere-pewter
    Hope you don't change the bookcases, they look much better with the grout change, and have sentimental value to your husband. You may be winning a battle, but losing the war.
    If you're on a paint kick, stick with the kitchen- a natural wood floor is plenty for the room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Wow, what a transformation, looks great! Agree with others that you need to consider a gray or greige color for he mantel and bookshelves. Fabulous job on the fireplace wall!
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    Has anyone mentioned to paint the insert a matte black? Getting rid of the shiny gold will help. :) They make a high heat black paint perfect for just that.
    Stacie Wilcox thanked Melissa E
  • Stacie Wilcox
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do love grey and am considering it for the shelves. for some reason I am thinking mahogany with a touch of a darker glaze for the mantle. It would be a departure from the cooler muted tones I currently have but I think it could work with the stone and the grey. I am not opposed to "darker" I was just opposed to the crazy black grout and ugly wall! As for the grout on the hearth, I am considering using a dark (or some fun pop of color) uniform color to ground the hearth
  • kimberly
    10 years ago
    @stacie,will you post b4 and after pics next to each other? What about the bookcases? Are you able to remove them?
  • Stacie Wilcox
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Starting to come together! Just wanted to post a "halfway" pic. Mirror isn't on the wall yet, haven't changed up the furniture or rugs (yet) I am going to stain the bookcases. Debating a mahogany vs walnut. And I think I am going to paint the mantle rock port grey. Starting to get a "feel" for the room. The wall was all I could see before!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    This project is already a huge success! Everything else from here on out is gravy. Congratulations!
    Stacie Wilcox thanked sstarr93
  • cindinfocus
    10 years ago
    Mahogany has too much red in it for this room. Go with walnut stain!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI - Stacie - The room has come a long way for the better -- just need to work on the bookcase styling .Put all the heavy looking things on the bottom working your way up to having less per shelf to having just an item or three on the top shelf . You need something with some height and volume on the right bookshelf top . Start by putting all the books on the bottom. I am not so sure I like the tree on the left in front of the bookcase though. And yes I agree the stain should be a walnut -- black walnut .
  • kimberly
    10 years ago
    Stacie
    Oh my gosh! What a huge difference. This is no longer the ugliest wall ever. You are doing a great job!! Next time you post a pic. Post the original and the latest next to each other.
  • kimberly
    10 years ago
    Forgot to ask...what does your husband think now that the mantel is painted?
  • craljh
    10 years ago
    Hi, you have a lot to do on your list but I wanted to cast my vote for painting the insert black. You have come a long way baby.
    Stacie Wilcox thanked craljh
  • deedled
    10 years ago
    Maybe take shelves and put in another room? I then would take fireplace mantel out and add one that is a more rustic wood just above fire place and then add rustic floating wood shelves on both sides of fireplace not many 3-4 on each side. Paint metal on fireplace black with heat paint/spray paint. Now walls on either side should be the same paint tone, a warm glow tone. Then I would add more modern curtains and a rod, a black rod and softer toned curtains with large rings for hanging, then add bamboo shades or wood looking ones to match the wood on new fireplace. I would also paint the coffee table and end tables maybe a mat Black to incorporate the dark grout in the stone wall. I would recover the white pillows on the couch with a beige tone. Then accessories. If you can get a cover to match the grey/blue green couch and put on the white one I would, or like I said just try to match the pillows then. I like the stone wall :)
  • Stacie Wilcox
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kimberly- he has been supportive! Mostly just admitted that he couldn't see a difference between sea haze and rock port grey : ) I am also in the middle of staining my bathroom vanities and he loves the results. So that is how I won the "bookcase debate". I'll post a thorough side by side when done! To address suggestions by others-I won't be styling, staging, or purchasing anything new til the paint/staining is complete! : )
  • pkstanley
    10 years ago
    Hi Stacie, great job so far. Love the lightened grout. Just wanted to mention that I think that you missed the grout under the hearth. I noticed it in both of the last two pictures.
  • Stacie Wilcox
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pk- thanks for noticing. I Didn't forget it...just thinking about painting it one solid color. Haven't decided yet!
  • bygeorgi
    8 years ago

Why are men so against painting wood,?? I just don't understand. BTW... I don't ask, I just do. I understand if it's not your piece of furniture or it has a sentimental value . I like the rock now that the grout has changed... looks like it's coming together nicely.Such a pretty wall color, soothing.