Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmedl

Before an After Kitchen Project

kmedl
10 years ago
This kitchen was part of a remodeling project that also included the living area and dining area. I posted the project on Houzz one year ago when we began the process. We decided to take down a partial diagonal wall that separated the kitchen and living area in order to open up the whole space. It is not a big house and this is the main space in the middle of the house.

With lots of good feedback from everyone at Houzz, we tore up the laminate hardwood and had new oak flooring installed in the whole space and then stained, completely reorganized the kitchen to improve the functioning, added an island, designed a desk space (to hide a huge ugly wall return vent), installed lots of can lights, under cabinet lighting, honed granite counters, and tiled backsplash.

The only appliance that still remains are the double ovens, but they will be replaced with 30" ovens, so we had that cabinet built large enough to accommodate the ovens when we get them. That's why that cabinet looks larger than the ovens.

We are not white kitchen cabinet people. It's just not a look that works for us. So we know some people will think its a lot of wood, but it is what we like. We still need to finish painting the window trim, get some type of window treatment, and possibly a rug runner in front of the sink. Any ideas on window treatment or accessories?

Here are 2 before pictures and a few of the after.

Comments (24)

• kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few more of the after.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Great update. The wood and other material choices feel warm and elegant.
    kmedl thanked Dytecture
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Dytecture. You were one of the people who made comments and suggestions on our original post a year ago.
  • wisneb
    10 years ago
    Awesome job! Love that sink and beautiful wood floors!
    kmedl thanked wisneb
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wisneb, thank you! I LOVE my one bowl sink. First time I've had one like that.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Very nice!!!!
    kmedl thanked Ann
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Great choice of backsplash. So often, backsplashes get overdone - yours is great!
    kmedl thanked Ann
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, it was hard to control myself in the tile stores. There are so many interesting and beautiful tiles! But I really wanted something timeless and not trendy, and we wanted the cabinets to stand out, not the backsplash or granite. So we went with a very simple travertine.
  • RosemaryR
    10 years ago
    Beautiful renovation, now sit back and enjoy your home, best wishes for joy and happiness.
    kmedl thanked RosemaryR
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful! I have a question though. How do you like the microwave drawer compared to the over the stove microwave? I want the drawer, my husband wants the regular door kind but more at hand/elbow level. I have spilled too many hot soups on me taking them out since it is above the stove.
    kmedl thanked Laurie
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Great job!
    kmedl thanked Terracegallery
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Laurie, We love the microwave drawer. A big reason we went with the drawer style was that I was tired of reaching up into the microwave, but also because I didn't want to break up the look of my cabinets above where the microwave is. I just didn't want to look at another appliance. My husband wasn't sure either, especially because it cost a lot more for the drawer type, but I have to say that he is surprised how much he does like it. So it was a combination of function and the design of the kitchen that helped us decide.
  • crchappell
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous! What are your countertops?
    kmedl thanked crchappell
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The name of the granite is "Suede". We had the granite honed. They are so easy to maintain compared to a polished granite.
  • cornettoryandtim
    10 years ago
    Love it! The microwave drawer is an interesting and cool choice. Im loving the sink. thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.
    kmedl thanked cornettoryandtim
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    10 years ago
    Love it all! Great update! Love the honed granite!
    kmedl thanked Reico Kitchen & Bath
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. It took us a year to do these updates, but it was worth the wait. Now we are beginning the guest bathroom. Can't wait to get started on that one. It has the same cabinets that were in this kitchen before the renovation. Hopefully this one won't take so long :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Very nice job. Especially like the sink. One thing I'm confused about, though, is the white trim on the window. If you have more time and money, you also might consider changing the ceiling beams. Either paint them to match the color of the ceiling or the tone of the cabinets.
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    quercus2, the painter has to come back and finish the trim on the window. He forgot to paint the brown wood. The rest of the wood trim will be painted white.
  • pattipat
    10 years ago
    Love the kitchen, but glad to hear the window will also be painted. I like the microwave drawer and the wall ovens, but they weren't in my budget. I just have to ask, is that a down light installed in the side of the island? As my niece would say, that's cool!!
    kmedl thanked pattipat
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm not sure what you mean by a down light. Its just a receptacle required by code. We have a pop-up downdraft behind the cooktop. Is that maybe what you were referring to?
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    10 years ago
    Love it! Great work with the island addition. Added so much more functional/useable space and it looks amazing. Great work!
    kmedl thanked Brown Bros. Masonry
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Love the sink and the bar stools. Nice details in the cabinet doors. Beautiful pulls and handles.