Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aicommunity

dining and living area !!!!

AID Community
10 years ago
hi guys i have this prob i have an open space for living area and the kitchen is open to that area through a bar
a designer gave me an idea to have a dining table and 2 living rooms but i just hate it. i don't like the tv area as you can see in the corner
i hope someone could help
we like open space and modern style
we appreciate your help guys!!!!!

Comments (31)

• sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Can you post a picture of your room? I have similar layout and room size but my T V is on your "salon wall"and sectional is in your livingroom . I would not like that tv position either.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Is the left wall all windows?

I have to agree with you that I wouldn't like the TV in that corner. Is this house built yet? Could you post photos of your room?
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the room is empty now i have only a pic of the bar (attahced) and everything else is empty
    yes carolins it is already built it is an apartment.
    sondramartina can you show me a sketch of how you think it could be better
    carolins of course i will appreciate your help if you can. some ideas maybe
    thx guys
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    @ sondramartina, thank you, but I doubt that I'm better in drawing floorplans ;-)

I did try though, and this is what I came up with:
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    carolins thank you for that suggestion, but don't you think it is better to keep the view for another living area? there's a great view out the curtain glass and i guess it is better to keep a sitting next to that view. what do you think? that's the problem i'm facing here :(
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I did put a chair in the corner next to the bar, but something with height would probably be better there. Like a bookcase or display cabinet for your collection of Danish glass (okay, maybe you don't have that collection.... yet ;-))
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Well, it depends on how you live. I mean, we spend quite a lot of time at our dining table, reading the paper, having coffee.... Everybody who comes into our house automatically sits down at the dining table (we have a really large one). And it's in a spot that has the best view.

But... you could easily switch the seating and the eating area around. Let me see what I can do....
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks a lot carolins, well my life style, i don't really use the dining table, only in times when i invite friends for dinner or lunch that's why i don't wanna keep it in the view area and i prefer having to living areas one with tv and another without tv just for relaxation if you know what i mean
    can't wait to see your new ideas
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Okay, so... how about something like this...
    Have you talked to your designer about your doubts of having the TV on that wall? Did he or she not come up with another idea for you?
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    actually they work in the gallery where i wanna buy the furniture so that's their idea of furnishing
    actually the new design is much better although the old one u suggested seams more simple and clean
    don't you think?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ah... I was wondering why they placed so much furniture in there ;-) I thought you were a family of 10.

I do like both options. Imagine yourself walking in there, what do you see when you enter the room, where do you go, where do you sit down, what do you do... Try to visualize it. You'll know which one you're drawn to.

Good luck. Please keep us posted!
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Don't start with a salesperson, they inevitably try to cram your rooms with their furniture, on their commission of course.

Instead, start with your wish list, e.g.....place to watch TV....sunny place to sit by window...room for playing music....game table for jigsaw puzzles....lots of upholstered casual furniture for X number of people to stretch out....little moveable endtables to facilitate tidy snacking....lamps for reading....storage for books and magazines....private conversation corner....desk area.....computer storage.....or whatever YOU want for the life you actually lead!
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks guys!!!! i will try some plans tonight and will post it as soon as i'm done to know your comments about it.
    thanks again and u'll be the first to know as soon as im done. i'm always open for new suggestions
  • emjfla
    10 years ago
    I had a thought while I was reading the comments. If you don't use a dining area very often, you might incorporate a drop leaf table into your plan. When the leafs are down it doesn't take up as much visual space; also think about other furniture pieces that include form and function (your media cabinet could hold dining supplies, your coffee table could be a trunk for extra pillows, blankets... you get the idea). Also, keep the flow open... there's nothing very comfortable about watching t.v. in a room that is packed with too much stuff!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I would ave thought that you are the person to ask if one has an interior design question :-) How come you need our input?
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    How about replacing the salon area in the first layout with the dining table? That way, you have a view when dining too. The good point about the TV location in the first layout is that you don't see the back of furniture and the focal point is the sofa grouping and probably art work on the wall when one walks into the room rather than to have the TV as the focal point.
  • PRO
    Daniela Levesque ID
    10 years ago
    Hi there! first of all what a great space for you to work with! Some great ideas and comments too. Here is a thought......I actually quite like the designers original layout...with some tweaks to address your "issues." I have 2 seating/living areas in my very open great room and it is amazing! People pick and choose where they want to hang out and there is enough room to accomondate kids away from adults etc. So, working off the original plan could you place the TV where the sofa is on the back wall right beside the jud out? (just as I wrote this I noticed someone did a plan with this idea...perfect)
    then swap the sofa over to the window wall where the 2 chairs are. you could likely even fit a nice sectional there with either a chaise or loveseat section. the small wall where the original tv location was would house a minimal open sofatable (acrylic maybe) with lighting.
    What do you think?
    whatever you do I agree that layouts where some of the pieces are placed on an angle read LESS modern. If you want ultra sleek stay with a "square" layout.
    Good luck :-)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hmm... really? Pieces on an angle less modern? That would depend on the piece of furniture in question wouldn't it?

Garage/Man Cave · More Info

TaC studios · More Info

My Houzz: Midcentury Modern Style Transforms a Vineyard Bungalow · More Info

Levin Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Daniela Levesque ID
    10 years ago
    carolins, definately not looking to pick on anyone or disagree with your opinions after all this is all just mostly that...opinions. I am referring to the layout not the individual piece. In my humble OPINION placing 2 identical pieces of furniture side by side on angle can read contrived. A single statement piece "tossed" into the space as a stand alone can definately read modern...agreed.
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hi guys i thank you a lot for your help
    i still can't find the right combination of elements and seating!!!
    daniela i understand what you mean
    carlins thanks for still helping here!!!!!!
    any new ideas guys?
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    btw carolins i'm asking for ideas because you guys have a great taste and view so i definitely would take advantage of your experience :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    AID, I was just wondering :-)

Daniela Levesque, I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, you're right, this is mostly about opinions. But I was (and still am) surprised at your comment about pieces placed at an angle not being modern.
    Ah well... thanks for taking the time to expound your opinion :-)
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hi again guys
    please tell me what do you think about this design
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here is the 3ds guys
    carolins? Daniela Levesque ID? emjfla?
    what do you think guys
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Perfect!
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    I adore your space! So sleek and modern. One thing...the art over the sofa seems too small lengthwise...I think a longer piece would be more fitting. That is the only thing that jumped out at me as off.
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks guys for ur help. it's only because of ur advices that we go it right!!!
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    What is the length of the wall where the dining table is attached and right next to the countertop? From the site photo and the number of floor tiles (typically one foot width per short end of the tile), it looks to be no more than 3.5 feet. What would be the clearance between the table and the wall behind?
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    OK looking at your floor plan with dimensions above, I estimate that stretch of wall to be 2 metres (half of 409cm). Even so, I think it's too narrow a space to squeeze in a table and chairs on both side. Assuming you have a 70 cm narrow table (which is almost cafe style), you would only have a clearance of 65 cm which is a tight squeeze for your guests. If you bring the table right to the edge of the wall next to the bar, you have a situation where your dinner guests may be at eye level with the seat of the bar stools. I think it's better to get rid of the bar area next to the kitchen and relocate it closer to your sitting area - probably incorporating a bar into built in cabinetry is all you need. That way, you could have a proper dining area. However, even at the full 2.4 m by 4.09 m, the dining area is on the small side. Imagine cramping everyone into a corner of this 2.4m by 4.09m area. It would be way disproportionate to the large TV and sitting space.
  • PRO
    AID Community
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    bellesum u are right but i have no other choice i don"t wanna mess up the seeting area just to put a dining table. so i think where it is its the best place i know its a bit small but i have no other choice