Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgm1441

Cannot decide on paint color for Master Bedroom Need color help!

mgm1441
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have this vintage sofa, awesome expressionist painting, white trim and tongue and groove tray ceiling, white linens, Mission Oak Furniture (for now), dark wood flooring....and selected Sherwin Williams "Moonraker" as my wall color. NOT a good choice. Goes beautifully with painting, sofa, linens, etc. but is WAY too bright. I'm having a hard time finding another! This is in a Florida Vernacular home on the river. Any suggestions? I was looking at SW Rice Paddy (6414) but getting color shy now.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    Looks to me like sw6416 is the color. But it's hard to tell on a computer screen. Match the greenest part of that cool old sofa. Buy a quart and try painting as much as that will cover and put the things in front of it and see if they blend. When that is settled you MUST find the perfect green and pink stripe with the pink of that little pillow for windows and two big mitred stripe pillows on the sofa. Good luck Bill
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    Also if you sew, if you can't find a stripe with the perfect colors together, find the perfect solid colors and make your own stripe. see ganttsdecorating.com -blog How to make your own stripe and How to mitre stripes.
  • mgm1441
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Love the pillow suggestion and yes, if I cannot find the stripe, I can sew!! I will go to your site for help. MG
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Would you consider a deep brown to balance and backdrop the sofa and painting? With white woodwork, IMO, it will look great.
    Espresso Bark CSP-390 Paint · More Info
  • calidesign
    10 years ago
    A very pale blush color, lighter than your middle pillow, would be stunning, and set off your painting and sofa.
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    Just remember that The more the contrast between wall and furniture color the smaller the room will seem!!
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Totally disagree with that statement. Dark walls remove the shadows in corners and actually make a room look larger. And a lighter fabric will become the star.
    Brown Davis Interiors, Inc. · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/9-ways-to-use-rich-dark-paint-stsetivw-vs~1250256
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    I love your vintage velvet sofa and the colors in your painting and soft furnishing. Not seeing the rest of your room and furnishings and just judging from what you have shown, I think there is an abundance of bright dazzling colors. You may want to tone it down and balance them off by bringing in light grey or greige paint. I think I see some streaks of light grey in your painting.
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    I would not paint your room green unless it is a very pale green....in which case you have to be careful that it doesn't turn minty. I have a room painted SW Hearts of Palm and it is really green.
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    SW6435 Gratifying Green. It's a really soft, neutral green which I think would look great with your sofa.
  • DIAspoton
    10 years ago
    love the sofa and painting. ben moore 'horizon' is a wonderful very pale gray.
    using that on the walls and then drapes as suggested by gantts would be a fabulous room.
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    Julianna, I said STRONG CONTRASTS make the room seem small, like in your photo on the right. Rooms "without" sharp contrast light or dark always seem larger. "Absorbing" shadows whatever that is supposed to mean has nothing to do with it! The green above would be a great color.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    How long have you lived with the current color? You may just need to give yourself time to adjust to it. Take a look at the SW color strip card # 57 for Vital Yellow. Something in that group may work for you.
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    Love your colours!
    I'd go with the palest of greens, light grey (lighter than attached pic) or something like your soft gold pillow (but either dark or lighter than that). I think a neutral background for all this lovely colour will be great. Paint a large swap of some paint testers to see what you like best. Good luck!
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    Post from Aug 2013.
  • PRO
    Lana Chu
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If you are determined to go green I would do an interpretation of the green not an exact match. SW celery is a beautiful pale yellow green that would complement. I also agree that a gray would be gorgeous and sophisticated. Gray looks amazing with yellow greens. Worldly gray or amazing gray from SW. Either way get some samples and foam core and paint the foam core your sample colors. So much depends on the light whether your gray needs to be more on the warm side to not look blue.
  • amykinsinbatavia
    6 years ago
    Would love to see what you went with!