Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazael

Need help/idea re: hardwood floors

hazael
10 years ago
I have a ranch, and from the West end of the house; bedroom, hallways, laundry room and kitchen currently have blond colored 3" wide (approx)
hardwoods. i want to put hardwoods in the rest of the house. Any ideas on what width/color (prefer wide plank) I can put up against the blond hardwoods currently down? It's not necessarily the cost I just hate to tear out perfectly good floors. Trying to match it up if I can?

Comments (7)

• apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Can you identify the wood? Photos will probably get you more responses.
  • hazael
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Let's try again. sorry and thanks for bringing that to my attention.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    The mysterious blond floors could be natural finish oak. Thanks for the heads-up on the photo. These are lovely floors. One traditional way to make the transition from one hardwood floor to a different hardwood floor is to put in a contrasting wood border between the two. A dark stain such as walnut applied to a single board will do nicely, or you can get fancier.

If you are near a city, you can take some photos and any spare boards you happen to have to a good flooring shop. They can tell you what kind of flooring you have and what their nearest match would be. You might be able to email them if you are a long way from anywhere. Also, you may use "Find Local Pros" button on Houzz.
    Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info
  • hazael
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great idea. Didn't think of that.............That would make a lovely transition between the two. There are several reputable flooring shops just down the street. I'll take this picture and mine and see what they can come up with. Thank you so much. This is the first time I've used Houzz for help................Sure glad I did........I'll send you before and after pictures................what kind of wood is the picture above?
    Thank you Thank you
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Glad to help. I don't know what kind of wood is in the Case photo. The flooring people will know. When you take the photos, include a ruler for scale so they can see what is what.

You might find these photos of oak flooring helpful in understanding the variation in costs: http://www.nwfa.org/nofma-grade-photos.aspx
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    This website has excellent photos and good information: http://www.sandmanfloors.net/Home_Page.php