Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_119278769

can I keep the tile surround if I convert this shower to a tub/shower?

Shannombu
last month

can I keep the tile surround if I convert this shower to a tub/shower combo?

Comments (6)

• dani_m08
    last month
    last modified: last month

Well, I am not sure - I would post this question over on the John Bridge Tile forum. They have many pros who are happy to help (and willeven guide people through entire renovations). Very nice and helpful - not that pros aren’t over here - it’s just that the JBT forum is only about tile - so, you will probably receive quicker responses.

EDIT - Boy - not sleeping has made my brain fuzzy -

Even I know that you will need a tub with a flange - and the tile will need to go over it for correct waterproofing + a tub spout added. Duh! I don’t think you need to post this Q over on JBT forum - I think you’ve received your answer already from pros and Kendrah below!

• Kendrah
    last month

I presume they will have to demo the floor and may need to move the drain closer to the wall. There is often a lip around the edge of the tub that goes behind the tile. Can they do all of this without harming your existing tile? Not sure. Usually retiling a small bath is one of the lower costs of a bathroom renovation. Are you doing anything else to the room? Just wondering how big the tub will be and how they will get it in the door with that wall there and the tight fit of the vanity. I bet it can be done. I wonder if removing the vanity while they work on the space would be a wise idea.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I doubt it, as you need a tub filler, you are far better to simply begin again ,You need an alcove tub/ flange for tile on three sides, with right side drain , and the chances of remaining waterproof, after making everything harder to do? Don't do it. Demo. Re select the plumbing, know if you are doing a shower curtain, or a door.

The amount of subway needed to replace the look is insignificant in the scheme of things.

Measure first......with a contractor/plumber and a tile pro

• millworkman
    last month

As mentioned above, tub filler (thru the tile) drain needs to be moved. Shower pan is sloped, tub needs a flat surface. Personally I would want the tub installed and the flange used with the tile or panels sitting over it and really do not think you will room for all that over the tile without the tub sticking out into the bathroom.

• Shannombu
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all:-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Rip it out and do it right by the time you try to save the tile it will cost you more than a do over .