Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisyolanda

Are these too big?

chrisyolanda
15 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

Not sure about these .. are they too wide or tall…seeking advice before I hang?

Comments (39)

• HU-914643391
    15 days ago

Yes. you'll want the bottom 8 - 10 inches from the top of the sofa... therefore they are too tall for the wall.

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    15 days ago

there is 92 nches between the top of the sofa and the top of the wall … pictures are 60 x40 … i was thinking maybe too wide ?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Those pieces are spectacular and they are perfect!

chrisyolanda thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • kandrewspa
    15 days ago

They're fine. Hang them no more than 6" from the sofa. You should paint the grille on your cold air return the wall color so it blends in better.

chrisyolanda thanked kandrewspa
  • palimpsest
    15 days ago

I think they're fine. Better a bit over scale than too small.

• Maureen
    15 days ago

I like the size and suggest trying items next to couch to balance their visual weight.

chrisyolanda thanked Maureen
  • chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Any thoughts on what to be on either side of the sofa?

• judeslou
    15 days ago

A tall lamp on the end table

chrisyolanda thanked judeslou
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

You can place a floor lamp with the drum table positioned in front of it.

You can place an LED light in the base of the tree for some additional dramatic lighting.

chrisyolanda thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Hillary Moers
    14 days ago

They will work fine. hang them a bit higher and like above comment... place an end table on each side or standing lamp and hang the paintings useing that entire space as your wall space. ( dont just use the sofa for your measurement, hang wider than the sofa

chrisyolanda thanked Hillary Moers
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    14 days ago

I'm with palimpsest, better too big than too small. I think they'll look just fine.

chrisyolanda thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • bichonbabe
    14 days ago

They are perfect !

chrisyolanda thanked bichonbabe
  • Boxerpal
    14 days ago

I like them, maybe hang a few inches higher but I do like them. It looks great.

chrisyolanda thanked Boxerpal
  • chloebud
    14 days ago

Nice! Distance from sofa is great in examples from Beverly, Maureen and Paul.👍🏻

chrisyolanda thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

I'd try just one, either, and turn it to horizontal

hang, Nobody will know, and it will keep it from looking like you could have used another 18" of sofa length: )

I'm all for go big or stay home.....but. They overpower the space as a twosome and either is big and bold enough to BE alone

. Paul can give you a better mock up than this below

chrisyolanda thanked JAN MOYER
  • chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

They are signed by the artist at the bottom …

• Paul F.
    14 days ago

In that case... don't hang it wrong. Word travels fast in the art world and on social media. There's an big artist named Retna that heard that this muralist across the country was copying his work for a project.

chrisyolanda thanked Paul F.
  • Kendrah
    14 days ago

I love them and think they are a great size. Sure, if your house were being photographed for the cover of Architecural Digest you’d have a sofa that is a bit longer. But for us mere mortals it iis a total win.

To make the sofa feel longer, I’d place a symmetrical set up on either side. What kind of lighting do you need in this room - additional general lighting or reading lights?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Wellllll.....

I'll admit I'm not a purist and NO disrespect at all to the artist or you. Depends original, or repro , as the signature is usually reproduced as well. Certainly not if you had them commissioned! But...? From an artist blog.....interesting

Mike

If I sign it’s only for figurative work, since abstracts sometimes get rotated by the final buyer when they display them. Seeing my signature in a different corner and vertical, looks a bit strange.

Karen Frances

Since I paint abstract and often with textures, like some of the other respondents above and for the reasons given, I sign the back of my paintings. I thought about creating a symbol, but then there’s no name to read and the back would need to be signed anyway. So I haven’t done that so far. Too often, I see art signed on the front where the signature definitely interferes with the composition. Underneath my signature, I add the copyright symbol © and the year. I was told that symbol with the year and the signature provides some protection against infringement.

Bob Lawson ********************

I am an abstract artist and when I have a great deal of texture to my work. When I paint a piece when put the texture background on I make sure there is a fairly smooth area that can take my signature either horizontal or vertical. This allows the piece to be sold for every situation. If the buyer wants it signed, If I am at a showing I will sign it in the direction it will be used in permanent marker. If I am not available I will go to the gallery and in one instance to a home to sign the art. I have worked on my signature over the years and have developed a handsome signature, I learned that from P Buckley Moss who’s signature is a pretty as her work. I think it gives a piece more sizzle and sizzle sometimes is what sells the work like getting to meet the artist.

( it COULD have been a vertical signature. ?) I don't think the police will come ?

Keeping both?

Leave 1/4" or less gap between in the hang. So they read as one. Don't do this....

• palimpsest
    14 days ago

Although this is a different aesthetic, Garrow Kedigian frequently ignores rules of scale and placement and allows pieces to drop behind furniture or touch things they shouldn't touch, according to the "guidelines". And these tend to be created by digital scans of cropped artworks in the public domain, so he is Making them this size intentionally,

• palimpsest
    14 days ago

I agree, I would hang them with a minimal margin in between.

chrisyolanda thanked palimpsest
  • Paul F.
    14 days ago

Putting things in front of a painting is called an "American hang" by some in the art world. Look at the pic Beverly posted, the paintings are hung at different heights! No rules really. I do agree your sofa looks a little small so hanging the two painting too close together looks like you are only doing it to keep them within the bounds of the sofa and I don't think there is any reason for that.

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I really appreciate yiur advice …I have till tomorrow to return these … I do love them … what woukd be your end answer ?? Keep them … keep tge corners on the edge of the sofa …stagger them? not sure what to do?

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• chloebud
    14 days ago

I would keep them if they appeal to you…and don’t stagger.

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Beautiful texture and not a reproduction…

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Kendrah … the only lighting we have now are dimmable led pot lights on a vaulted ceiling… we pretty keep them as dimmed as possible becaue tgey shine in our eyes when watching TV …alternative lighting would be great …i like the idea of end tables and lamps … something substantial …

• chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• Paul F.
    14 days ago

The reaction to the art was better than good... a professional called them spectacular which I've never seen before. Do not stagger. Put them back up on back of the sofa and decide the the distance apart. You picked the art so you have a good eye.

chrisyolanda thanked Paul F.
  • Kendrah
    14 days ago

Yes, keep them. The response from nearly everyone here is positive. I think most agree to hang them at the same height with a minimal gap between them and to paint the white AC vent to match the wall.

These will really balance out your TV wall and make the room look fuller and less TV centric. Great job.

chrisyolanda thanked Kendrah
  • chrisyolanda
    Original Author
    14 days ago

thank you so much now to find something for either side of the sofa

• pat1250
    13 days ago

Late to the discussion, but those two pieces belong together. The sofa is not too small…..the art is the statement. Paul F. has given you the vision….go for it! Make the statement that the art wants….you selected them so let let them speak….I love them.

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

It wasn't me. She picked everything herself but she has no confidence in her own eye. I would only advise her to fill the wall and not to snug tables up so close to the sofa.... also examine Beverly's advice with the floor lamp and side table brought forward a little. Sit down with a drink and then try to comfortably set it down and then put a table there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

They're abstract. Artists do paint to make money, despite a god given talent. For all the op knows? they were displayed together as companion for someone needing a really large piece!

From Bob on an art blog re signing .....

"If I am at a showing I will sign it in the direction it will be used in permanent marker. If I am not available I will go to the gallery and in one instance to a home to sign the art."

Or Mike who said.......

"If I sign it’s only for figurative work, since abstracts sometimes get rotated by the final buyer when they display them."

I'm in a very small group here, but I think one looks great. Either can be rotated despite it will put the signature in a low left corner, and vertical.

Big bold statement , still : )

• debrak6
    13 days ago

Keep them! Look how many different people liked them, if that matters to you. They look perfect for the room and pack a nice design punch due to the size, colors, and the medium with its varied textures. Trust your eye and taste...you did great. Unless you just decide you don't like them, I wouldn't contemplate returning something you liked enough to buy and got almost overwhelmingly positive reactions on...that never happens! :-)

• kcooz07
    13 days ago

Another vote to keep them!