Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harlowm

Grout rec for Riad Snow White zellige

harlowm
13 days ago

I just installed Riad Snow White 4x4 zellige tile as a kitchen backsplash. We had the counters and cabinets in first and the combination was great. The counters are a Jolie Grey and the cabinets are Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan (off white). The Riad Snow White is reading far more blue/gray than expected (I realize it may be picking up some of the blue from the counter covering). We originally selected Mapei frost grout. I think that might bring out more gray so am now wondering if a white/beige grout would help tone down the gray.

Has anyone used Avalanche, White, Biscuit, or other Mapei grout colors and seen this reduce the gray in the tile?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    12 days ago

No grout color will change the overall color feel of the tiles; The Frost is your best best because it'll not stand out against the tiles as opposed to you other grout choices.

harlowm thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • herbflavor
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

go as light and creamy as you can... this lighter grout helps the grayer tiles a bit. I've used straw...its nice....biscuit is close so maybe that one.

Contemporary Zellige Off-White, 12"x12"x1/2" Panel · More Info

harlowm thanked herbflavor
  • HU-121436380
    12 days ago

Can the bright white trim on the door frame be brought down a notch? It really highlights the grey in the tile.

harlowm thanked HU-121436380
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago

I would not be able to live with that tile selection. It's very blue.

• J Sk
    12 days ago

I think the tile will be fine. As someone mentioned use the grout in color similar to tiles. I think blue cover and red spacer make it worse than it's. Is the white trim going to be changed to cabinet colors? I think it would help, also the wall color doesn't go with cabinets, changing for something warmer would help. I think at the end it's going to look fine, so don't worry so much. Here is a picture with this tile and "warm" color cabinets.

harlowm thanked J Sk
  • Monique
    12 days ago

While you could use Alabaster as a warmer note, it would make the install seem even more off. Stick with Frost. Or remove the tiles now and start over with a different selection.

harlowm thanked Monique
  • loobab
    12 days ago

I'm a little color-confused.

Your tiles, wall and counter are in the cool color family, but your cabinets are in the warm color family.

• J Sk
    12 days ago

^^^ the countertops are dark brown I think so not cold really. Anyway I like combining cold and warm pallet. I did it on my house a few years ago and still like it.

• jodyrah
    12 days ago

The white crown looks weird on top of the single cabinets. Paint it the same color as the cabinets.

• jodyrah
    12 days ago

J SK, Your warm/cool colors are in the same tonal range, which is why it works. The op’s are not.

• J Sk
    12 days ago

^^^ I think she can pull that together after painting the cabinet trim the color of cabinets and changing the wall color. Those elements put things off. After adding the hardware to cabinets ( by the way what's planned for that?). Also applying grout in the color of tile will diminish all those busy lines. I think it will be OK at the end.

Somebody did familiar project. Here is the picture and the link describing project.

https://www.zdesignathome.com/the-cottage-kitchen-renovation-details-and-reveal/

And here is a picture from one "houzzer" who used the same tile as OP with grout applied

^^^she chose frost grout

harlowm thanked J Sk
  • harlowm
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Wow - thank you all so much for the similar examples and constructive ideas for how to work with this - I really appreciate it! A few notes:

- Cabinet trim - Yes, this will be painted the same color as the cabinets - still work in progress!

- Wall color + door trim - These also have not been painted yet, so this will definitely help

- Cabinet hardware - Polished nickel. It's warm so fingers crossed it's a nice complement that can pull things together.

- Grout - after another visit today, I think we'll go with the frost.

- I've gotten a lot of feedback that lighting will help, too.

I think we'll need to finalize all the painting, hardware, grout, lighting, and remove the blue tarp :) to really know how it will look, but I'm more optimistic that we may really like it.

J Sk - Thanks so much for posting these projects! These are great examples.

I'll post the 'after' photo - and would love any other ideas in the meantime. Thanks again - this was really very helpful.

• J Sk
    12 days ago

^^^ with the door trim I would decide at the very end if anything has to be done with that. You still have plastic on your windows so yes removing that will help with light and things might look better, too. Waiting for the finished project pictures!!!!

harlowm thanked J Sk