Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtiller

Help! New cabinets are too high.

vtiller
10 years ago
I had a designer to draw plans for my remodel which included all new kitchen cabinets. The cabinets were installed late last week and the doors were added yesterday. I opened the doors last evening to find that even the height of the lowest shelf will make removing my everyday dishes and coffee cups a chore! I spoke to my contractor this a.m. and he said the cabinets are at the standard 18" above the countertop height. Well, I can only assume that standards have changed since my original cabinets were installed because I did not have the same problem. How was I supposed to know to tell a designer, a contractor and a cabinet manufacturer how high to make my cabinets??? I am 5' 4" tall and I plan to stay in this house for the duration! Help! The cabinets are in -- custom made, thus not inexpensive! They need to at least be useful! What does anyone suggest?

Comments (36)

• feeny
    10 years ago
    I don't know whether they can be reinstalled at a lower height, but your designer is correct that 18" above the countertops is the standard height for upper cabinetry. I'm not saying you should have known this, but your designer is not at fault for assuming that your cabinetry would be set at this height. If the backsplash is not yet installed, and since these are custom cabinets, you may be able to have them reinstalled at a lower height. I would certainly discuss this with your contractor asap before more work is done on backsplashes, crown molding, etc.
    vtiller thanked feeny
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    Can they remove them from the wall and then reinstall at a lower height?
    vtiller thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • vtiller
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    At this point, reinstalling them at a lower height is probably the only real solution other than buying a small step stool that i have to use just to get my dishes out of the cabinets! And that would be a pain! I can reach things on the lowest shelf, but it is not a comfortable reaching position. I will not be able to reach anything farther back than the edge on the second shelf. That makes having upper kitchen cabinets almost unusable.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I don't know if this fits in with the style of your kitchen, but you could consider adding a shelf under the cabinets for dishes and mugs you'll be using every day. Other than the obvious taking them down and reinstalling them I am not sure what else you can do.
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/shelf-under-cabinets-
    vtiller thanked User
  • vtiller
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @sam0705 -- that has certainly been one of my thoughts this a.m. as i am pondering all possibilities. I'm just not sure how that would look. I guess i could try it and certainly if i don't like it i can remove it! But i will have spent a boatload of money only to have to retrofit my new cabinets to be useful. Part of the problem is that in the remodel we opened up the kitchen into the den which means that i gave up a lot of cabinet space. i added more cabinets in another area, but putting my everyday dishes in a separate area from my kitchen is not going to happen.
  • latifolia
    10 years ago
    Are the lower cabinets taller than usual? 18" is the standard, so I'm wondering if the lower cabinets somehow got installed at higher than normal height. Are your lower cabinets deeper, or upper cabinets less deep than normal - that would also have an impact. Have you adjusted your shelves yet? It usually works better if the lowest shelf is set fairly low, with the space increasing with each shelf. So you can put cereal boxes and tall vases on the top shelves and still grab them at the bottom.

Our former upper cabinets were installed lower, maybe because people were shorter. It drove me crazy because I couldn't open the stand mixer, and I had to bend down to see the back of the counter - I'm tall. Double check your measurements to make sure they were installed correctly.
    vtiller thanked latifolia
  • vtiller
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @latifolia -- Yes the contractor measured this a.m. to confirm the 18" space. I am not tall so have none of the issues that you have experienced. Thanks for the thoughts!
  • User
    10 years ago
    vtiller - yes that is frustrating. I would browse the pics with the open shelving and see if any of them speak to you. I actually do like the look if you end up going with that.
    If it's any consolation, I am pretty tall and with the new trend of putting cabinets to the ceiling, I have to get out the step stool here and there :) also, on the open shelving, we added some in an area of our kitchen to create a little coffee area and I keep my mugs, small bowls and plates on it that we use every day. It's pretty convenient so similar concept.
    vtiller thanked User
  • latifolia
    10 years ago
    Get out your own tape measure. The contractor doesn't have much incentive to tell you if things are wrong.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Something doesn't make sense.
    I am five feet tall. The bottom shelf of my upper cabinet is 20 inches above counter. (The measurement from counter to bottom of cabinet is about 17.5 as there is a recess in bottom of cabinet for under cabinet light.

I can reach bottom shelf and yes have to stretch to reach second shelf.
    Top shelf only holds items used occasionally.
    So dishes used every day are on first and second shelves.

I am four inches shorter than you, why the difference?
    vtiller thanked Judy M
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    The reason cab go to ceiling, is the look. Most people can't reach the very top. But, it is a much more appealing look than having them stop 3/4 if way up. Yes you should get cabinets lowered to correct height. It's the contractors fault.
    vtiller thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Judy, I think the problem is simply that vtiller's previous cabinets were set lower, which made it possible for her to reach to the back of both the first and second shelves. She didn't realize this wasn't the standard height. I can see how if you've been used to easier access the standard height cabinets could feel frustrating.
    vtiller thanked feeny
  • PRO
    Amy Carpenter Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Please check your local city/county codes before lowering your cabinet height. The area of the country I am from it is CODE in some cities to have 18" of space between your countertop and cabinets. Lowering them to 15" would be in violation.

I also suggest discussing this calmly with both your contractor and designer. It is very easy for any of us to sit behind a computer and type "it's (insert name) fault". When things like this happen it does no good to place blame but rather to work together to figure out a solution.
  • vtiller
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Leslie Cohen Design: Thank you so much for the advice and pics. The plate rack under the cabinet looks very nice. I do have plenty of counterspace, so using counterspace is not an issue. I may talk with contractor about this. My contractor and I have a very long and good relationship. He is not happy when I'm not happy and is usually more than willing to fix any issues that arise on a project. I am blessed!
  • nancyann0277a
    10 years ago
    I agree with Judy M. I am 5'1" and my cabinets are 21" and I can easily reach my first shelf. Is your counter top extra wide and thus would cause you not being able to reach up?
  • vtiller
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My contractor is going to build a small step that can be pulled from underneath the cabinets at the toe plate. It will add about 3" to my reach. Anything above that I will need a step stool, which I have always kept handy for that third and fourth shelf. Thanks for all the great input.
  • Carol Henry
    10 years ago
    I just bought a new house and the base cabinets are higher than my old kitchen. I am 5'4' and have the same issue with the upper shelves but I'll have to adapt. The taller bases are more comfortable. The bathrooms have taller base cabinets too.
  • twosavoie
    10 years ago
    I have the same situation. I've added inexpensive lazy susans to all of my cabinets so I can reach more stuff.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    Ask the designer that overlooked your height (I had to say it) what their solution is.
  • wvufannohio
    10 years ago
    The contractor installed the cabinets correctly IF the counter for the base cabinets is the standard 36 inches from the floor and the upper cabinets are 18 inches of the counter. As has been mentioned this is code in some places, but not others. The bottom line here is that your upper cabinets should be about 54 inches to the first shelf, which should allow an adult access to the first couple of shelves. If your 5'4 (64 inches) then you should be able to SEE into the bottom cabinet and easily reach it and the second shelf, if not the third. There are some reasons that cabinets are at this height. First, its for safety reasons, the upper cabinets are not intended to be low enough that young children can reach them. Second, the 18 inches above the counter gives adequate space for most kitchen appliances to set on the counter without coming into contact with the bottom of the wall cabinets. I get that you plan to be there the rest of your life, but in all fairness, unless you specifically call it out for a contractor, or unless you are building the kitchen to accommodate a handicap for some member of the household a contractor will work to industry standards. Even though most people PLAN to stay in a house they love for life, they rarely do and sell it at some point. Keep that in mind when doing renovations and remodeling. There are some neat options that can be used to allow access to taller shelves (which I cant even get to without a step stool or chair in my own kitchen). One that I am about to install in a kitchen I am putting 42 inch upper cabinets in is a swing out folding step that goes into the toe kick area. The other option is to move down the upper cabinets, which is considerably more expensive in labor costs but would be a full fix but even then you wont be able to reach the top shelve and probably not the next to the top shelf.
  • momdotcom41
    10 years ago
    I agree with Judy M... Something is definitely off here... I'm only 5'1" and just measured my custom cabinets... 20" above the counter... I have NO problems reaching shelves #1 & 2... I need a small step stool for shelf #3. You are much taller than me. All I can figure is your counter top is exceptionally high?
    Mine is 36" from the floor.
  • Barbara Lande
    9 years ago
    I am 4 feet 8 inches tall and a senior. I have trouble reaching inside my kitchen cabinets.
    Can someone please tell me how to add a step up by the kick plate area. I really do not understand what is being said or how to go about doing this. Would also like picture's. If you think you are having problems reaching your cabinets, you should see what I have to do to reach things. Not sure I am allowed to add my email but here it is 1bobstacy1@gmail.com
  • PRO
    NuthinFancy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In Europe, the cabinets sit even higher. Mainly because studies done after the war showed it was ergonomically better to store your dishes in drawers of your base cabinets. Their counters are a little lower as well. That is why you'll see all kinds of things utilizing that "mid space" like garages that actually hold your mixers, coffee makers-even dishes.

American cabinets are generally set at 84", 90" and 96". Standard size for wall cabinets is 30" or 32" high. This is what determines the height off the counter..

• PRO
    NuthinFancy
    9 years ago

Barbara Lande- see this Toe kick step stool

• PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is where Universal Design comes in. Everything is fluid these days. Standard cabinet height is 34 1/2" +1 1/2" for the counter top. The uppers are set at the newer standard of 54" off the floor. This used to be 52", leaving 16" between the counter top and cabinets. This was raised to 54" for 18" between the cabinets and counter top because of the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. You cannot properly use the mixer with only 16" between.

Universal Design base cabinets are 32 1/2" tall with the uppers set at 48".

• Augusta Byron
    8 years ago

I am short and am used to having a cute little stool in the corner of my kitchen, as well as in every closet. No problem, as best not to lower cabinets below 18" above the countertop.

The issue seems to be that you have framed cabinets, so you lost a few inches in the framing, which has a recess for the lights. I have Ikea cabinets, there is no recess and my puck lights are surface-mounted. But if I had gone with a framed cabinet, I would have had the same problem as you did.

• Bobsue
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My kitchen has been a nightmare for 6+ months. Now that it is almost done I find I can’t reach anything. After reading the standard size I measured mine and the upper cabinets are 21 1/2” Above the counters. The lighting under the cabinets had just been put it in. Is it too late it just a large problem

• K Laurence
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am tall ( almost 5’ 12” lol) & some of my kitchen cabinets are too high, believe it or not! Next time, everything will be inches lower!

• HU-198003939
    4 years ago

I am having this same problem and am so alarmed. I am 5 ft tall and the space between cabinets and countertops is 19 1/4 inches. I can hardly reach anything. We are in the process of doing all the work and they have made the error. The backsplash isn't in yet. What to do???

• esivam
    4 years ago

I have same problem and am 5’2”. Have owned 6 houses and lived in numerous apartments and never had problem until this house. Discovery: The bottom of the shelf skirt is 18” BUT the actual shelf is 22”. Four inches is a big difference. Did get the over the toilet cabinet lowered and wasn't a big deal but took me years to figure out why I had so much trouble with my plates over the dishwasher.

• HU-822253603
    3 years ago

Hello all. I am a designer working on a potential product that may provide a solution. Can anyone clarify if there may be a market for this sort of product ? Thank you in advance.

• Leslie Utstein
    2 years ago

If you have a solution please tell me...I am 5' tall & my contractor put by cabinets 25" from the countertop to the botttom of the cabinet... Crazy.. I had to buy a step ladder

• Cheryl K
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm in the same predicament. They screwed the cabinets into the ceiling and the bottom of the cabinet is 21 inches above the counter. I don't even have a step stool tall enough to reach to the top shelf of the cabinet. I have to get a ladder...it is stupid to leave a ladder in the kitchen. I am very upset. And then they tiled below the cabinets so that makes it harder to adjust with glass tile being there.

• marycalo lefsin
    2 years ago

I'm in the same boat. I'm 4' 10 and I can barely reach the bottom shelf about 20" above the counter . In my 1st kitchen we adjusted the cupboards a bit for height. I wish I had remembered to mention it this time. They are custom made and I can't do too much about it now. Spent 100k+ for entire reno so frustrating but I'll adapt.