Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lornatimbrown

lornatimbrown
12 years ago
Are the counters real marble? I love them but worry about the warnings I've read about the care/maintenance/other issues about Marble.
Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Ultimate Island · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Michael Robert Construction
    12 years ago
    Yes they are Carrara marble. There are many arguments against marble, but if you love it it's worth it. With the proper upkeep (wiping spills, sealing every 6 months, etc) it will remain beautiful. If you are someone like i am, who uses their kitchen to cook on a daily basis, you won't mind a kitchen that looks like someone cooks there. People have been using marble for floors and countertops for centuries. I personally think the patina is beautiful and wouldn't trade it for anything. All that being said, we have had red wine, citrus, and tomato sauce on the counters and not had an issue! If sealed properly, the stone should not stain. If you do an Internet search, you will find plenty of blogs and videos of people who have done tests and you can see the results for yourself. people with marble countertops are obviously passionate about them!
  • magda
    12 years ago
    I have had a marble pastry board for 18 years that I've never sealed and I use it for everything in the kitchen, including as a cutting board. It acquired a charming patina, but has no bad stains, as marble is actually very dense. Stains also fade with washing (dish soap and water) and can be"sucked out" by applying plaster of paris. Polished marble will show more scratches and "spots" from acidic liquids, honed marble is more forgiving. You can hone a polished marble surface by "aging" it with an acid wash (ie: tomato or vinegar).
  • PRO
    Lisa Lucas Design
    12 years ago
    I have also used a granite called White River that gives me the look without the marble issues. My clients have loved it.
  • caroline5002
    11 years ago
    Everyone talks about the etching and staining but not as often heat. Can you put something hot down on marble the way you can on granite?
  • PRO
    Michael Robert Construction
    11 years ago
    I have read that you can, but I have not tried it.
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm