Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen00

Need exterior color advice for our Dutch Colonial...

kristen00
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Working on exterior of our Dutch Colonial in phases. Style of it is a bit of a challenge. Need ideas for color scheme, roof color. Should we keep natural brick or paint? Was looking at Salem Avenue Renovation on Houzz. Trying to decide if that would be a good color scheme, if we painted brick. Creative input greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Comments (26)

• kristen00
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pics
  • kristen00
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Back
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Love your choice of the Salem Avenue. I would start with the roof color- I like a shingle in a neutral tone. The one in the pic seems to be a wood tone. Once the roof is done you will get a better feel what to do with the brick. Your doors are great. Pick a fun color to make them the focal point.
    Salem Avenue Renovation · More Info
    Exterior · More Info
    kristen00 thanked A Crew of Two
  • kristen00
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love that advice. Roof on right looks like slate, so a shingle of similar color? Thoughts on painting brick. I want to paint (or whitewash). Husband does not. Letting Houzz decide. :)
  • kristen00
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Awesome. Very valid points...agree. :)
  • RosemaryR
    10 years ago
    Good advice by Crew, do the roof first. I think if you remove the shutters that would help too as seen in 2nd px posted. Also change out lighting to large carriage-type lanterns, the facade can handle it.
    kristen00 thanked RosemaryR
  • kristen00
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Interesting. Would have never thought of. Remove shutters off front and back?
  • Greg Mohr
    10 years ago
    I want your house! I would personally not paint the brick. Its a nice looking brick (not dated) and once you paint, there is no going back. That being said, it would also look beautiful painted, but I only resort to painting brick when the style or color is bad. I also like the shutters and think they add to that style of home. You would probably find that the house looses some character if the shutters are removed. Painting the shutters also allows you to introduce a third color in the scheme. I love the carriage light suggestion. Two hefty fixtures by the front door will really brighten up the entry. Can I suggest new landscaping out front? Painting and roofing will only get you half way there! ;) And again, LOVE your house!
    kristen00 thanked Greg Mohr
  • Linda Iwaszewski
    10 years ago
    rosemary I agree with removing the shutters (on the front). I would be very tempted to strip away everything, and then slowly add back..landscaping, step railing, wider trim boards.. it appears to be a house that could easily be 'overdone'
    kristen00 thanked Linda Iwaszewski
  • PRO
    Body Accents
    10 years ago
    Hi
    I think If you choose an awesome colour to paint the brick I dont believe it would jeperdize the resale of your home. I think people would be wowed by the look of the place. Now tell me I am seeing 3 sections in the front. 1. the brick 2. siding 3. roof
    Why not paint the brick and the siding in a contemporary muted organic shade of aqua? Do the shutters in a chocolate? I think it would look strickingly beautifull
    kristen00 thanked Body Accents
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    To paint or not to paint (brick) is a tricky question.... Not all brick will accept paint the same... find out from an expert if the brick used can be painted first! Then remember once it has been painted, you must repaint it every so often, to keep it looking nice. (Keep in mind, removing paint from brick can be done, but it will never look the same.)
    That being said perhaps you might consider painting the doors, trim and shutters,just because you have a brick home does not mean you are stuck with black and white as trim/shutters colors! Soft green, blue-gray and various shades of taupe or grey would work well with your home. Adding window boxes to the second story windows is another way to add color, and your own unique touch!
    kristen00 thanked Stamps Design Services
  • PRO
    Triangle Brick Company
    10 years ago
    As a brick manufacturer, we love the look of natural brick and its durability. However, if you do decide to paint the brick, please be prepared for increased maintenance. According to The Brick Industry Association, “Most paint authorities agree that, once painted, exterior masonry will require repainting every three to five years.”
    kristen00 thanked Triangle Brick Company
  • imzadi
    10 years ago
    I would get rid of the shrubbery and plant something with lots of colour in curved beds. The shutters are in need of some colour and the front door could do with a couple of arrangements in containers either side of it. The arrangements could be changed out every season.
    kristen00 thanked imzadi
  • Nathy Lavoie
    10 years ago
    Beige brick and light grey roof
    kristen00 thanked Nathy Lavoie
  • Kathy Frazier
    10 years ago
    I might have missed something but we cleaned our brick & the color of the brick looks alot better.
    kristen00 thanked Kathy Frazier
  • marfenster
    10 years ago
    The brick is very nice... are you replacing the roof? I would keep the shutters paint them and the front door add some landscaping and you have a gorgeous home good luck...
    kristen00 thanked marfenster
  • Hanna Rachmel
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't paint!Go earthy color on the roof similar to the briks.
    Shutters to match the roof maybe one shade darker but stay with the earth tones.Funky burgundy shade for the door.
    Will look fab.
    kristen00 thanked Hanna Rachmel
  • claudiabrown
    10 years ago
    The bricks is to light it will become dirty quickly especially with the trees so close to the house if you change the color of the bricks to a reddish or brown color and the roof Blackish grey it will bring the house out more. The upper part of the house should be painted and off color to make it pop. But make sure you by the pain that will not fade I thing they sale it in home depot that is the only store that that paint it will never fade for years.
    kristen00 thanked claudiabrown
  • Rhonda Petrillo
    10 years ago
    Lovely traditional home. I'm not a big fan of painted brick. I lean toward lower maintenance and costs. I would put that money you would spend to paint into landscape, a new porch and walkway. However... done well painted brick can be very classy. Houzz is a great resource. Do a search on Houzz and take a look at some - here is just one I found:
    Whole Home Remodel: Magical Transformation · More Info
    The window box idea was intriguing to me...
    kristen00 thanked Rhonda Petrillo
  • jessbiddle
    10 years ago
    Hmm, as the owner of a painted house, I can't advise it. It's EXPENSIVE to have a house painted. Like a Carribean vacation expensive..I also don't think color or the roof is the issue, I'm ok with it here. I think your door needs to be brightened up and some bigger lamps outside. Replace Brass. Is that white trim? It might be the photo but it looks like it could pop more. I'm also wondering if the style of upper windows matches the lower ones? Do they all have the same pane size (even if it's a faux insert). They aren't showing in the photo. I LOVE your brick walkway. The shrubs seem a bit overgrown and lopsided from one side of the house to the other. I think some garden definition and some new shrubs would give you some good returns. All that should cost WAY less than painting the brick.
    kristen00 thanked jessbiddle
  • abell22
    10 years ago
    My home is so similar to yours (the front anyway) that it's scary! We have a little bit of blue gray wood with the brick. We have decided to have the brick and the wood all painted white. We are keeping our shutters black and painting our front door yellow. A good yellow. :) I don't feel painted brick could ever hurt resale. I love painted brick homes. They have such a stately look to them. I'm not in real estate, though.
    kristen00 thanked abell22
  • kristen00
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Fabulous advice. Thank you, thank you everyone! Dutch Colonial style isn't as common as other styles. Has felt overwhelming. Roof is huge, so very expensive. Choosing the right color is crucial. I would LOVE to see pics of your house abell22 (and other Houzz members Dutch Colonial homes if they want to share). I also like the idea of shake instead of current siding. Any thoughts?
  • abell22
    10 years ago
    I'll upload a picture after it's painted as well. It will be done mid December. Forgot to mention our mansard roof only has two dormar windows. Like yours much better. Hope to build a two column overhang for the front door to stop the rain damage on the front steps and also hopefully split up our giant forehead of a roof! :)
    kristen00 thanked abell22
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

Since the brick has some beige tones, I would suggest a light beige roof and light beige shutters. However, you might try a light green speckled roof and a yellow-green door to add a bit of freshness and punch to the color scheme.

• Laurie Naugle
    6 years ago

abell22, did you end up painting your house? My house is so similar, and I am considering painting the brick. It's a hard trigger to pull!!