RENOVATION HELP! 2 bedrooms into 1
allie2566
My husband and I knocked down the wall to make 2 small bedrooms into 1 larger one (see pictures) We thought we'd be able to figure out this renovation by ourselves and it's not working. We are desperate. The entire room needs restructured and redesigned. Please note that every single thing in the bedroom (in the pictures) we are getting rid of...We will be getting new furniture.
The room is an awkward shape (long and narrow), has 2 closets (both are filled with my things...no room for his). Our need: Close off one door, build additional wardrobe storage, small desk area, lighting and new furniture.
You can see the closets in the pictures. I was thinking of making the smaller of the 2 closets (that's the one that is next to the TV and dressers) into a nook with a desk. My plan was to close off the door (sheet rock) on the wall perpendicular to the dressers (directly across from chair). I wanted to put the bed on that wall. In the area where the bed is now, I wanted to have a wall of floor to ceiling closets going from the window and tying into the existing closets (if that is even possible.) I'm not against taking that closet out to build something better.
None of my ideas are set in stone except that one door needs closed off, more storage, small desk area, and of course new furniture. In terms of the design, I'm open to anything. In terms of the opening that was made between the 2 rooms, the part of the wall that juts out between the 2 windows can be taken all the way to outside wall. Any ideas and suggestions would be so, so greatly appreciated. Please see pictures and drawing with measurements. Thank you so much!
I would open up the closet in the room where the bed is, making for a bigger bedroom that will give you a bed wall large enough to accommodate the bed and night stands. I'd also remove the entry from that room. If possible, I would add a second window to the room.

Then I'd remove the small walls that separate the two rooms, The door into the 2nd bedroom would become the door into the new master suite. I'd want to create a big walk in closet in the second bedroom and I'd do this by walling off the space from the window on back, removing the closet doors at the back of that bedroom so that that space becomes part of the bigger closet.

Of course I'd love to leave the window in the room, but it doesn't appear that there would be enough space for the walk in closet if the window remained in the bedroom. That's why I want to add a second window in the first bedroom so that it is not a dark bedroom. It may be possible to remove the window from the second bedroom (the new walk in closet) and re-use it in the first bedroom.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 7:55AM
allie2566
Thank you Carolyn. We LOVE your idea. However, I think that moving the window (taking the one out and moving it over) might be a bit too pricey for us right now. Nonetheless, we are going to ask our contractor to see what he thinks it will be. Thank you.
0 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 11:10AM
Wish you had asked for input here first. I think you had a better thing going with the smaller room separate. I'd eliminate the closet in the larger space and turn the smaller space into a nice dressing room for both of you. You can use the closet that's already there and add more closet/storage. No window moving needed and you can center your new bed on the wall and have room for bedside tables. Close the hall door into the smaller space and close it off again with drywall and a door between your larger and smaller rooms, wiring it for the TV to hang on the wall at the foot of the bed.
Dressing Room by Shelley & Co. Interior Design
Dressing Room
White Painted Maple Wood Walk-In Closet & Dressing Room, Westchester County, NY
Master Closet
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 11:22AM
Scott Design, Inc.
Is this to be a master bedroom? Where is the bathroom that services this room? What rooms surround this two-bedroom conversion? It will help to know these things in order to position your entry, etc.
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 11:39AM
pcmom1
Could the entire wall between the spaces be taken down and then you could center your bed between those two windows?

Wall off the door to the room with the bed in it and use the newly created nook for a built in desk.

Then keep the two existing closets as separate his and her dressing spots. That should be enough hanging space if you add large dressers to each side. Hopefully!
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 11:43AM
allie2566
@ Scott Design, Inc. Thank you for responding! The bedroom that we are trying to create will be our master bedroom. I attached a picture of the hallway outside the bedrooms. The first door on the left is a full bath (which we use), the door on the right and straight ahead are the doors to our bedroom project, and the other door on the left side of the hall is the actual master bedroom. This is a small 1100 sq. ft. house in a beach neighborhood. We want our bedroom in the front for the light and the views of Long Island Sound. The actual master with a full bath is in the back of the house. It's a small bedroom with only one window and view of backyard...which is a project all in itself! Storage would be an issue in that bedroom too. The room we are creating will be the new master. Just down the hall is the living room and kitchen (see picture).
While we would like to have a bathroom attached to our bedroom, it's just not possible in this home. We are fine using the full bath in the hall...especially since it's just the 2 of us. When guests come, they will have a bedroom with their own bath. Any suggestions are so, so appreciated. Thank you.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 12:15PM
Debp
Yes. I was going to suggest making the smaller room into a dressing room. IKEA has a system of wardrobes, drawers and shelves that you could incorporate into the room. You could possibly incorporate your tv into it and place a couple of cozy chairs floating in the space. If you need even more space, you could place two low dressers back to back in the center instead. Definitely eliminate the closet by the bed.
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 12:59PM
Debp
There are beds available where the tv is housed in the footboard.
1 Like   October 13, 2013 at 1:03PM
Pop-up tv is always an option and doesn't have to be built into the bed, but is always very expensive. Wall hung is cheaper.
0 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 1:22PM
pcmom1
Since you chose this room to be the master because of its view, think about if the bed would work in the other space on the wall opposite the window. Then you would wake up to the view each morning.

In that case, get rid of the door on that wall and leave the other as the entrance to the bedroom. The other area could be the dressing, sitting area. Chairs could be in front of closet facing windows and then you have more view still.
Provincetown Beach House
Master Bedroom
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 1:49PM
0 Likes   October 13, 2013 at 2:06PM
Martha Relan
Before you take down those partial walls that currently exist between what were the two rooms, check to see I'd they are supporting structures. You may still be able to remove them, but you'll need to run a supporting beam across the ceiling then. I like the idea of removing the whole closet area in the current master BR area to enlarge the room, then make the whole wall opposite the bed into a walk in closet.
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 2:16PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Eliminating a bedroom is a major change in your three bedroom beach house. In addition to its impact on managing guests during the busy summer months, it will affect eventual resale. In a project of this scope, it’s always good to have a master plan showing how the change affects the other rooms of the house and how to maximize space and value.

You can either open up the two bedrooms and work with the resulting footprint with the understanding that resale will depend on having an easy three-bedroom conversion.

Or, you totally commit to a two bedroom home and maximize the space and its appeal.
What I’m going to suggest is probably not on your radar…

It's preferable that a master bedroom not rely on a bath down the hall which is also shared by visitors. If your existing space and utilities can handle this suggestion reasonably, consider a master plan that connects one of the baths with the new master bedroom by reassigning the hall space to the bedrooms and baths. Then put a new hall along the back wall of the house to access the existing master bedroom with a bath for visitors as well as overnight guests? This will give you two ensuite bedrooms which is very appealing. This will take additional funds, more of your “sweat equity” and can be done over time.

If this is something that interests you then work on your current project with the redo of other spaces in mind so you don’t have to undo new work as the master plan progresses.
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 13, 2013 at 6:29PM
allie2566
@ decoenthusiaste... Thank you for the suggestion. I think this might be the way to go. For the past year my husband and I have not been able to agree on anything regarding the redesign of these rooms. We love the suggestions that everyone has made, but I think for our budget right now, as well as the space and storage we're looking for, you have come up with a great idea. Thanks so much. I'll post pics as the reno starts.
0 Likes   October 14, 2013 at 4:37PM
We'll look forward to seeing your new master bedroom, but be assured that we are still here if you have additional questions regarding this remodel. Thanks. Carolyn
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 14, 2013 at 5:47PM
So glad to help! I'll look forward to seeing the final result, but please keep us informed as the work progresses.
0 Likes   Thanked by allie2566    October 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
allie2566
Thank you SO much Carolyn and decoenthusiaste. I can't wait! I'm sure I will have many questions. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again!
1 Like   October 14, 2013 at 6:54PM
Help with converting a 1bedroom condo to 2 bedroom
Hi Everyone! I would like your assistance on a project...
jazzyz29
HELP converting 1 bedroom to 2 Bedroom... condo
Hi Everyone! I would like your assistance on a...
jazzyz29
Help, Will be moving into a 1bedroom coop. But must share room with 2 children.
Hello everyone. This dilemma is killing me. Right now...
crissyk
Need help master bedroom window treatment 1 large window 2 small
We just moved into a new construction house. I am...
Corrin Wilcox
jlrickett
Need help for my balcony
I am about to begin a renovation of my apartment in...
triqita
should i use 4 inch can lights or six inch in the kitchen and dining ?
how much light do the 4 inch can lights produce ?
goldenapple1
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Kitchen ideas
I am buying a house that will be my retirement home...
seazr
Concrete floor moisture
My hubby and I built our house 2 years ago and hired...
chelseabeagle