Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jvcesare

Kitchen renovation ideas needed

jvcesare
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I really hate the layout of our kitchen. There are tons of wasted space. The dead corner is never used and there are two 45 degree angles at one end and a doorway at the other end. The "storage" above the microwave is fake. It contains a large box enclosing the vent and there is only a narrow usable area big enough for a pie tin.

My though was to eliminate the dead corner, center the stove on the wall and place a hood over it with cabinets on either side. Place a small butcher block on the far wall. Remove the soffit to give the room more height and place pendent lights above the counter and sink. Go with a smaller single basin sink to give more counter space.

I have no idea about where to place a pantry. Right now it's a tall, narrow (18 inch) cabinet next to the refrigerator.

Any suggestions or other design ideas will be appreciated.

Comments (15)

• jvcesare
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pics
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    i would change the angle that the dishwasher's L holds to something larger, so it doesn't cose that area off so much, in addition to what you've said.

and i would eliminate the 45deg cabinet next to the stove and put in another pantry cabinet there.

and i would put in clerestory cabinets, or use extra tall ones, to get to the ceiling.
  • Janice Sweeney
    10 years ago
    Hi--you have a wonderful ability to envision your kitchen's new layout. I hope you'll be hiring a kitchen designer to help you with your plans--as kitchen changes can be very expensive.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    what room is on the other side of the dishwasher? ... any opportunity to steal a bit of space from that room for your kitchen? ... do you have a dimensioned floorplan by chance?
  • PRO
    M&M Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Wow JV, I don't often say it, but I hate the layout of your kitchen too! We do a lot of kitchen designs, and the best place to start is with the gray elephant in the room (fridge). It seems like it's in the wrong place. The adjacent cabinets are clearly designed for a shallower unit. Is there a reason for the L shape to be on a 45?

It would appear (from limited photos) that you could flip the fridge and pantry cabinet over where the range is, size them appropriately to give you a built-in look. Pull the range out to the L (maybe a less angled version of), and do a coffee bar/small appliance station where the fridge is. It's a nice nook to remove some of the clutter of your kitchen and give you stations throughout your kitchen for it's different functions. Good luck!
    jvcesare thanked M&M Design Studio
  • PRO
    Universal Lights Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would recommend redoing some of the lighting too. Remove the big fluorescent boxes and replace them with some recess cans (you have to supplement the light removed) and put a few mini pendants over the bar. That will add some "pop" to it after you fix up the layout.
  • jvcesare
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is no real reason for the 45 degree angle other than the architect must have been an idiot. The angel is found in other places (bedroom, master bath) and they are all a waste of space.

I do want to replace the fridge with a counter depth model.

I am limited by the kitchen footprint because the two 45 degree angles border the family room and small dining area with window bench seats. They have new hardwood floors and it might be a non starter to change the angles.

The real issue is getting everything to fit :-(
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    can you draw up a rough floorplan of your kitchen with dimensions on it?
  • jvcesare
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have a rough floor plan and a proposed layout that I've been working on. I can scan and post it later tonight (Pacific time zone)
  • jvcesare
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a proposed floor plan
  • jvcesare
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

After two years we finally started the project.

Here are progress photos and I'll post the results when complete.

jvcesare's Ideas · More Info

• jvcesare
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have a new kitchen!!!

Here is the final result

Starmark cherry cabinets with toffee stain

Silestone quartz countertop "Amarillo Palmira

Aztec Hi Gloss blue denim subway tile backsplash

GE Café Appliances

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Happy Day!

• PRO
    M&M Design Studio
    8 years ago

Looks great, what a transformation for your family!