Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Toilet lid - Leave it up or down?

Emily H
10 years ago
Do you leave the lid of your toilet up or down as a general rule in your home?

Share how it works in your house! (photos encouraged)
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (46)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    With the lid down , the toilet in your picture looks great .

Lid up has it moments if it is , I think , this way
    Emily H thanked User
  • reba120
    10 years ago
    Toilets are ugly anyway, but a lid up makes me cringe.
    Emily H thanked reba120
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    Down always, my biggest pet peeve in real estate pictures is seats left open in the pics.
    Emily H thanked ReMax - Lisa
  • User
    10 years ago
    Down- it's common courtesy.
    Emily H thanked User
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    In the powder room, it's visible from the main hallway so, down. The master is usually up, mainly because those who use it couldn't be bothered. It definitely should be closed for photos. Always.
    Emily H thanked kimdee24
  • User
    10 years ago
    No jokes here as don't do toilet humor.
    Emily H thanked User
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    Oh no!!!! There was a toilet paper poll for weeks on the first page now open toilet seat -photos encouraged??! Eeeew.
    Emily H thanked sondramartina
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    @Emily Hurley-can we move away from these polls.
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Down looks better, but I voted up because it's more handy and convenient.
    Emily H thanked armipeg
  • terra k
    10 years ago
    nastiness goes in the toilet, up just reminds me of that.
    Emily H thanked terra k
  • User
    10 years ago
    It is amazing how many women will argue that the seat should be down, but the lid should be up. I just wonder where that rates on the hypocrisy scale. It's pretty easy to train them to put the lid down if you start leaving the seat up :D
    Emily H thanked User
  • gamakate
    10 years ago
    Fred, the lid should always be put down before flushing! The spray throws germs all over the bathroom. It is not just an aesthetic opinion or preference.
    Emily H thanked gamakate
  • User
    10 years ago
    Tell that to the 30% that the pole says leave it up.
    Emily H thanked User
  • gamakate
    10 years ago
    Doesn't matter about the POLL, I am talking about sanitary conditions in the bathroom
  • User
    10 years ago
    Don't tell me. I am the one always telling women to put it down!
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    If you have a dog then leave it down. Some dogs like licking your face, and...well, you get the idea
    Emily H thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • PRO
    House Plans Helper
    10 years ago
    Up is fine, down is fine, up or down and wet is not fine.
    Emily H thanked House Plans Helper
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    All I know is that "if you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie!"
    Emily H thanked ASVInteriors
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Down, down, down. Same reason as @gamakate - EW. (This is also why I don't leave things like my toothbrush in open holders. Goes IN the medicine cabinet for preference, more protection against icky spray if someone doesn't put the lid down.)
    Emily H thanked KD
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    come on people down is the only answer!
    Emily H thanked Michael Lee, Inc
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    DOWN - especially for photos!
    Emily H thanked decoenthusiaste
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Auto open and close on mine...and auto flush...love technological advances :)
    Emily H thanked dclostboy
  • newhousealameda
    10 years ago
    It is bad feng shui to leave it up. It means that you are throwing out money, I believe. The only problem is you get more "mold".
    Emily H thanked newhousealameda
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Well then I must be broke and not sure how I am affording all the updates in my house because my toilet seat has been up a lot. LOL
    Emily H thanked armygirl1987
  • cocoanlace
    10 years ago
    Down! I don't want any of my cats splashing water in there, and they would love to get a good look (and their paws) at the water spiraling downward. Neva gonna hoppen.
    Emily H thanked cocoanlace
  • rosecafe
    10 years ago
    Emily! Stop it now! 14% of people will get this one wrong too : )
    Emily H thanked rosecafe
  • KD
    10 years ago
    The mention of cats reminded me to take a moment to be thankful that the current pooches in my life are not of the 'drink from the toilet bowl' variety. Ew.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Down, down, down. Always down. When guests come over, they sometimes leave it open. Bugs me.
  • mcghie54
    10 years ago
    Down. That way my dogs can't use it as a water bowl. Also, safety with small children or animals dictates keeping the lid down.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Emily- please think up a more stimulating and inspiring poll.
  • Suzanna Sebesteny
    10 years ago
    I grew up with a dog that drank from nothing but the toilet. I didn't know better as a kid but no dog of mine is going to have access now that I'm older. Mind you, I have a dog that's too small to reach! I always put the lid down. Before flushing. That way all the nasties splash on the bottom of the lids instead or around the room, onto wall, towels, soap. You get the picture I'm sure. (I disinfect the back of the lid every day) Also, it's fair play, Men in the house have to put the SEAT down, so we women have equal opportunity and put the LID down. Fair is fair.
  • Suzanna Sebesteny
    10 years ago
    Hey, if this polls isn't to your liking, try not opening it. I think it's fun.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Necessary evil.
  • Flinders Ranges
    10 years ago
    What's the point of having a lid if you don't use it.
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    I recently had to remove the wallpaper in my powder room because the lid was left up when flushing. There was a mold (or something like it) that could not be removed from the paper, that was apparently a result of the splashing. We all put the lid down now for sanitary reasons.
  • rosecafe
    10 years ago
    Think about it you big people.....If the thing was supposed to be left open to everyones view, they never would have designed it with a LID, now would they ? : D
  • kygal76
    10 years ago
    Always down!! Biggest pet peeve EVER!!
  • gigirambles
    10 years ago
    Down...now if I can just train my family.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Nothing tells me your lack of good breeding than leaving the lid up in my half bath off the living area.... it is rude and crude.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    rosecafe, that's a good point (the lid is there for a reason). I'm guilty though of leaving it open 99.97% of the time, and my lady does the same. Now, if i had a dog, i vote for closing the lid.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    I'm a man and I always put it down. My wife, she leaves it up. Of course I follow behind her and put the lids down. LOL
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    down. my trailer-trash husband leaves it up. really pisses me off (pun intended)!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I reminded my grandson, Jayden, to put the seat down on the potty this morning- he just turned 7 last month (:
  • hanknliza
    10 years ago
    As a real estate broker, I made sure I was at the photo shoot of a listing. Why? A bathroom looks tacky with the seat up! A PET PEEVE!
  • shars55
    10 years ago
    I always leave mine down.....that's why they come with a lid!
    I get so irritated when I have company and they leave the seat up.
    Honestly, how hard is it to put it down?!? I even have the ones that lower themselves!! It just looks better down.
  • sharkmmsyellow2013
    9 years ago
    depends on the toilet.