Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d3sp

Please help me with my living room

d3sp
10 years ago
Hi
Would like suggestions for this room. It is not used a lot but is the first room seen when entering the house. The only thing I would like to keep is the sofa and perhaps the armoire if it works. I'm not sure where to put the sofa. The room has no floor outlets. I do want to have drapes in a coral color made for this room and the adjoining dining room. I also was wondering if I should repaint the room but would want another neutral color. All suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (3K)

• sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Thanks . I was trying to find out how her room is coming along and it looks like her photos were on this discussion. I will try to go to the correct one.
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a link to my new post for my guest room. Would love you all to help me out(: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-with-this-guest-room-dsvw-vd~961379
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    I had no idea this thread existed. Your livingroom turned out beautifully. Where did you get the bowl, that is n the coffee table?
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Wendy thanks! My husband said just the other day before he left that he really likes that room. Makes me feel good. The bowl is from Zgallerie . Picked it up on my first shopping trip with Carolyn.
  • Wendy
    9 years ago
    Thank you.
  • Erin Blanton
    9 years ago
    Hello! Your room is so gorgeous. I am on my phone and can only see the 500 most recent comments. I don't see the answer to this question in those comments, so I hope you don't mind me asking -- I am in love with the chairs with the coral velvet seat cushions. Where did you get them?
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Erin I think it is called the Jennifer chair. I purchase it from Joss and Main but other places sell it. Google it and see what comes up. I recovered the seat in a coral velvet. Hope this helps(:(:(:
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Erin here is one link
    Baxton Studio Jennifer Wooden Modern Lounge Chair with Fabric Seat · More Info
  • Erin Blanton
    9 years ago
    Thank you thank you!!
  • PRO
    konthip loatman
    9 years ago
    overstock offers them also but with different color seats. here's the link. http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=jennifer+chair&SearchType=Header
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi restonite!!!
  • PRO
    konthip loatman
    9 years ago
    d3sp have you finished your guest bedroom yet. don't have the title to search.
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Almost finished with it. Waiting for a swing arm lamp and pillows. How are you? Here is a link to it. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-with-this-guest-room-dsvw-vd~961379
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    9 years ago
    Hello!

How about a change in the rug? How about blue? And we would paint the walls a light tan.

-Cabinets and Designs
  • pegjustpeg
    9 years ago
    Once again, Cabinets and Design! You are late to the party! This is just shy of complete. Please, note the number of comments before you add yours, or better yet, try scanning through some of the comments so you get the drift of what is happening. Posters love professional input, but not when it's waaaay past time of being useful. Perhaps click on "new dilemmas" . Happy Houzzing!
  • gypsyrose17
    9 years ago
    This is her living room...it is finished.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I am in complete agreement with peginvalpo on your inappropriate comment, Cabinets and Designs, after the color scheme was created many months ago!
  • Deborah Jarman
    9 years ago
    But I must admit, it was fun to see Donna's living room again. Such a great transformation!
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Deborah. A lot of wonderful memories for me. Made some great friends here too(:(:(:
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Donna, I have been reading through this dilemma, you ladies seemed to have such a great time on this thread, and now I know why this thread was so noisy and loud sometimes, it was all the partying, and drinking that was going on! Lol.
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lol Terry we did as much partying as we did decorating at least I hope it was equal(:(:(;
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    I don't think so Donna, I think the liv. deco. was just an excuse for another party lol.
  • d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lol well all I can say is it didn't start out that way(:(:(;
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    9 years ago
    A pair of these Florence armchairs would look great flanking that sofa, or facing it with a small table in between them. Add a glass vase with fresh flowers to the table, and you could switch the room from formal to casual with a simple trip to the florist.
    Here are the chairs, we offer a lovely high-quality reproduction of the original Florence Arm Chairs: http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/loft-arm-chair-wool.html
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    Hi MHD! I'm guessing that you are new to this site. Before you comment, you might like to look at the original date of the dilemma + how many comments there are (in this case, well over 2000). That way you will be commenting in a more timely manner. This design was completed some time ago.
    Those chairs are lovely, though!
  • Darzy
    9 years ago

Tanadorn...I was thinking the same thing! Houzz could feature rooms with "Before and After" summarizing the Houzz contributors and final results. How fun! Maybe more posters will see the value of trying things out and taking photos to share the progress.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Nice idea, but houzz does not currently seem to be listening to our needs.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

I recently saw a before & after of a Houzz project in 'stories'. So they do publish that sometimes? Or was I dreaming? I'll see if I can find it again.

• Darzy
    9 years ago

carolins...so glad you found that. It was a good one and this living room would be another good "story".

• PRO
    Santiago Bernal
    9 years ago

Good space. To start you need a coffee table. It would be ideal to use a glass top oval shape Bronce table. Add some color and texture to the sofa with decorative pillows, bringing some color from the area rug to the sofa. Import is a large painting over the sofa. A landscape would be just fine. On the side wall which is large, add something unexpected. Wood panels, or hang an interesting screen

• indomom
    9 years ago

carolins, that was a great and positive story. I so like it when houzzers explain why something does or doesn't work in a constructive way!

• PRO
    9 years ago

Concepto Uno, the room is done, thanks to the advice of many houzzers. You can see the completed photos if you go back to April 13, 2014 in this post. The reason there have been so many postings since the room was finished is that we have all become friends and like to share news with each other.

• PRO
    Faux Online
    9 years ago

I think this room looks amazing! everything seems to flow, I love the pillow accents and the colors. Anyone looking for free advise on how to accent a wall or a ceiling can go to short video tutorials that are very informative at www.fauxonline.com

• d3sp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just saw that there were new comments. Loving this room. I have not made any changes. One small addition My three owls.... Had to add them bc they symbolize me and the boys silly maybe but it helps me in my now 'empty nest'So nice to see you all !!!! I'm going to go read the article Carolins posted(:(:(: I couldn't get my pix to post right so I'm leavin it out(:(:(:

• PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    9 years ago

Glad it is working for you.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

What a life! Doc gave me exercises to do for my elbow. After taking xrays, he said my hand has some deep tissue damage which will heal with time, but no bones broken within. So here I am keeping my fingers limber with some typing exercise! Thanks for asking, carolins.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I like the idea of the coral draperies for both living and dining rooms, and I would suggest some throw pillows in a soft coral for the living room. You might have some small bolster pillows made for the dining chairs and cover them in the same soft coral as the living room pillows. I do not know how you feel about the foyer, but a medium coral on the walls of this small space will look cheerful and inviting to guests as they enter your home.

• Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

Sheila--I believe the room is already finished. Donna, did you ever get the drapes made for the dining room?

• d3sp
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Nancy!!! Great to hear from you. Not sure what I'm going to do about drapes in the dining room. I have the drapes that had to be taken down because of the poor workmanship but I am not sure they can be fixed. i would love to post my dining room but I will have to wait until I have enough of a budget to complete the room once I start. Hopefully it won't be too much longer (:(:(: again it was wonderful to hear from you Nancy(:(:(:

• abbyjean
    8 years ago

Is your school year off to a grand start! Hope so!

When it is time for the dining room, please post a link here so I do not miss it. Smart to wait, though, especially since I am sure it is totally livable and very nice in your home the way it is.

• d3sp
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Abbyjean!!! Yes back at school. They moved us and we are settled and unpacked. Still getting use to new paperwork now having to use math skills to document weekly rate of increase lol but I'm getting the hang of it(:(:(:. Once I'm past this learning curve I will be one thankful therapist (:(:(: How are you? Are you still working? I will post a link here when I post the dining room. I keep going back and forth on what shape table but I'm leaning toward a round one but who knows. I am looking forward to decorating the dining room it's fine now but it doesn't seem to flow with the living room(:(:(: My husband just got back and I may need to do that room when he leaves...that way I can "surprise" him ....if you know what I mean lol

• abbyjean
    8 years ago

I sooooooo know what you mean!

Really? Using math skills for documenting. I find that super interesting.

I am on the sub list at school and so is my husband. He came out of retirement last year to teach math the full year and is happy to be retired once again.....and sub here and there instead of being at school every day again.

Our youngest grandchild turned 3 yesterday and 2 of the oldest started their school year today. They were ready as summer was three weeks longer this year since the start date was moved back. With the heat and humidity we had last week, I was starting to think they were smart as we had early outs three days in a row. Not a good way to get the year rolling.

• columbia93
    8 years ago

My favorite colors are white and coral. Just wanted to say I love the room. So happy to see color on Houzz, too. Beautiful, beautiful job... :)

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I appreciate Nancy Walton's comment, but I see the homeowner did what I suggested with the coral accent color. The items I mentioned were some that can be changed seasonally or as the individual wishes.

• d3sp
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's what I want to do once I retire in a couple of years Abbyjean work part time(:(:(: Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and have a couple of grandkids like you by then it was great to hear from you. Take Care!!!

• User
    8 years ago

I feel that the armoire does not work. The room is light and airy looking; the armoire is large, dark, and heavy looking. At the beginning, you said you could give up or repurpose it. I think you should. Good luck.

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 years ago

Our projects might help with new ideas.

Historic School House Apartment · More Info

Traditional Cedar Creek · More Info

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The room is lovely. It simply needs a little tweaking. Remove the white pillows from the white sofa and replace them with smaller pillows to match one of the brighter colors in the rug...perhaps the rust color. Add a small coffee table in front of the sofa. Yes a smallish tufted round ottoman in the rusty color would work beautifully as the coffee table. When having a conversation with a friend in this space, you could bring in coffee on a pretty tray and place it on the ottoman or coffee table. The room needs some art, something which also has some of the rusty color in it.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Also remove the dark pillows from the white chair (in the third photo). The boxy chest in the corner and the two lamps on it need to be removed. You can keep one of the lamps and place it on a small corner table where the boxy thing is currently.