Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taraanne203

Accent tile for master tub and shower

taraanne203
10 years ago
I'm building a house and all the decision making is starting to cloud my judgment!

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion -would this accent tile look good against large blocks of white carrera marble. It would be there rows on tub back splash carrying across to the shower next to it (glass wall between) and there more toes at eye level in shower.

I really want to being in some blues so I liked this tile, but I'm starting to wonder if it is too start a contrast with the white marble? The glass accent next to marble with a vein?

The white marble can't be changed (it's the only white I liked in our price range) but I could do a different accent tile.

The walls will be Benjamin Moore Gray Owl to start.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• taraanne203
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That was supposed to say "three" rows.
  • Christalyn
    10 years ago
    My house was built in 1975 and that is the exact same color combination of blues in our bathroom. I am naturally biased against it. I like blues but not that color combo. I would stick with all white and add blue in a different way.
  • Barbie
    10 years ago
    I suggest staying with a neutral and finding a way to bring blue in through paint or decor.
  • taraanne203
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes the shower, tub surround, floor and countertops will be white marble. The cabinets below sinks will be dark wood. I guess I can imagine white alone looking lovely... A little worried it will look stark or cold and I just really liked it having an accent in this sample - though don't like how shiny this tile is (only a partial picture I apologize)
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I find that adding a band of a contrast tile often doesn't work, and it is set in stone. You have a lovely base tile. This is a timeless classic. The blue will negate the classic look. I agree with other posters that you can bring in the blue in different ways but try something less permanent.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    Look at some of the bathrooms photos here on houzz that have marble only. You'll see that they are not stark looking. I understand that you don't want that and I wouldn't want a stark bathroom either. I'm sure there are other ways to bring blue in the room. Maybe the lighting can have some blue in the glass, accessories such as trays for holding cosmetics, towels...there are many options that will not be permanent.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I would not go with the rows of blue accent tile.

Take your time ... don't let the builder's rush you!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Definitely no on the accent tile. Dark wood cabinets will take any sterility out of the white. Here are pics of my two bathrooms. I have a carrera and glass backsplash, but everything else is statuary marble.
  • caroln242
    10 years ago
    I would stay neutral with the tile. Add color with paint or pics or other accessories that can be changed out every once in awhile.
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi Tara - Hang in there with the decision making challenges!

I agree strongly with those who've advised you to skip the accent tile, and look instead for ways to bring in your blue accents with paint, light fixtures, towels, etc. - things you could change out as you might later do an up-date.

Your carerra marble is a great classic look, but it's my opinion that most glass tiles are already fading fast as an in-style favorite. Please don't mate them up on your walls.

Best Wishes! Mark
  • taraanne203
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You have all won me over (and saved me money - bonus!). Thank you very much for your insights.

I didn't quite think it looked right when I visualized it, but for some reason had it in my head that I "needed" accent mosaics.

I've seen some other pictures it will definitely look lovely (and not go out of style!) with the white marble.

I'll focus on wall color to get the blue/spa like color I imagined.

Thanks again!!
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

Good decision. I love blues but I don't think you'd be happy with that design.