Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bastewart928

Decor

bastewart928
10 years ago
We have only been in the house for a year so I know it can't be perfect yet, but I need some help of adding decor. The doors are the doors that I walked through for our wedding so I want those to stay. I just am not sure of what to add...pictures, sconces, etc.

Comments (42)

• bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's a mess I know....please forgive me! :)
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Hi! I think that one of the first things you should do is replace your floorlamp. Here is one I think would work well there:

http://deciture.com/shop/lighting/7/knox-floor-lamp/
  • PRO
    Panamerican Logix Corp.
    10 years ago
    A modern adaptation on the living room pattern known to generations of design lovers, the Cowhide Patchwork Smoke Grey is perfect for defining any space. It is casual yet sophisticated.
    Change your Area Rug for a Modern design and you will get a touch of high design to your home http://www.decohides.com/product/cowhide-patchwork-smoke-grey/
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like that lamp Warner Decor.

I really like our rug and don't really want to change that right now. I'm just wondering what to add to walls and mantle area.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is our master bath. It is huge. I have no clue what to do with it either....
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    The doors can stay, just not there like that. And the mirror on the mantel has to go. Reflecting a stair rail does nothing for this room. I'll be back.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    bastewart, start a different thread for the master bath. Keep this one for the living room.
  • tiamay
    10 years ago
    @bastewart928 - put your bathroom dilemma in a new thread. You'll get separate responses for those.
  • User
    10 years ago
    For the bath.... You could take out solid wall between tub and shower- and enclose the shower on both sides with glass. Then tile both wall areas.... That would open up the space and add some wow factor!
    Also tile floor --
  • User
    10 years ago
    Also- for living room... I think the wall where doors are would look amazing with a built in bookcase / media centre.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Where would the doors go?
  • PRO
    Slaggie Architects
    10 years ago
    You could easily hang the doors horizontally on the wall above the TV and maybe add some of your wedding photos along the recessed panels. You could hang the blue door below the red one and add small photos spread along the panels of the blue door and add your two favorite wedding photos in the recesses of the red door (Black and whites would look great contrasting against the colors of the door). You'll need to make sure you find studs to hang them on!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I've so far only addressed the TV wall. Longer console, put the doors together as a grouping, curtains, pendant instead of ceiling fan. and remove a lot of the little kitschy stuff. I like the cable spool for an end table, but what is that crate by the fireplace for? If it doesn't serve a purpose, set it free.

Using your rug for inspiration, I slipcovered your chair in dark brown and added a couple of teal pillows.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think I would place the doors horizontally up very high, above the 8' height, in the middle of the peak? or angle? in this room. Use them as art.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Will your doors work in the bathroom? One where the towel rack is. Place rack on the door if you won't mind bolting into it. Or use a wider towel bar longer than the width of the door and place it in front of the door and attached to the wall. You would need deeper brackets to accomodate. The other door on the wall next to the toilet.
  • nica60red
    10 years ago
    What about moving the couch to the wall where you have the doors and leave the doors behind the couch. I like the TV console but maybe not that color... I think it needs to be a blue or green distressed color. On the mantle you need a couple of small picture frames, candles or fresh flowers it looks a little bare.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like all of this...I love the curtains on the windows. I tried to find a bigger console. This was the biggest I could find. So could I just paint it to make it work? The problem with moving the couch is that is where the tv hook up is and such.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Could you move the TV under the window on the right side of the fireplace, centered to the window? Is the electrical long enough? I don't know if I would like to see the sideview of the TV from the staircase area. TV is best when it is closer to a fireplace, if it's possible. Then place the red chair where the console is now.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would leave the console white, especially if it could be moved to the window area. It would work very nicely with the mantle.
  • Anna Steele
    10 years ago
    mam, could you show us a picture of the other two walls? Also if you could let us see the connections for the television hook up? How noticeable are they?
  • Anna Steele
    10 years ago
    You have been given a lot of good suggestions here.

I think Slaggie Architect has the right idea about the doors, accept I would leave the reddish door hung the way it is (Up and Down) turn the turquoise door horizontal above the console.

Move the chair to the right side of the console along with the lamp, put it behind your chair to offer light while reading and angle the chair towards the fireplace. The lamp should be behind and to the right of the chair.

I agree with LB Interior the console should remain white and leave it on the wall where you have it. I like her idea of using the doors as art work as well. You have a beautiful cross on the wall it speaks to who you are. Please move that to the wall above the console. Place the cross above the console and below the turquoise door. Center the cross above the console. Make sure to hang the turquoise door high enough on the wall to allow for the cross to be displayed between it and the console. Whatever you do, ... Don't Forget to anchor the doors into the studs of the wall !

Take the mirror that is above the fireplace and put it where the cross was hanging. People like to glance at their reflection while moving from one room to another and you are reflecting the artwork you have created with your "doors".

Groveraxle you have good taste. I like everything you did. I agree with mixing it up a bit because it gives your company a bit of a surprise makes them wonder who you really are. Very Cool! The curtains are perfect they anchor that wall, and draws your eye to the height of the ceiling.

Based on what groveraxle did and using your things, I would mount the tv above the fireplace.Use the bottle collection you have to the left and right of the television above the fire place.

Put the books that are on the console inside the small crate (lie the crate on it's side facing out) then place the books in such a way as to display them within a book case. I would put this on the bottom lower right inside the console. Put the center piece you have on the coffee table on the inside of the console left side bottom.

Take the large crate and stack the wood neatly in it on the left side of the hearth. Put the crate right side up so you can use it to bring in more wood. Put the plumes on either side of the fireplace on the floor.

I would use the burlap that is wound around the large cable thimble above the fire place and weave it around the bottles varying the size and position. You could also buy some of those white solar powered Christmas lights and wind it around the burlap use the bottle to anchor it to the fireplace. To give the bottles more weight you could use sand or use some small pebbles to fill the bottles with.

I would use the small wooden thimble you have on the fireplace mantle as a center piece on the console. You can either paint it a base color (egg shell perhaps) then paint lines up and down the inside of the thimble using your rug as the color pallet and stagger the colors. Then use nic60reds advice and put a large fat candle on top.

Slaggie architects suggestion about the photos is right on the money too. Especially the bit about the photo's being black and white. You can pull in the color's of the "doors" for your picture frames.

Take the Glass jar you have on the console and use it as a center piece on your coffee table.

Now here is where the real work comes in ... use the large Cable thimble as was suggested earlier as a table. Remove the small end table you have by your couch and perhaps use it in another room?

Go to Home Depot buy some of the small tile that is laid out on the netting already. Then ask the attendant what type of adhesive you could buy that would adhere this to the inside of the wooden spool.

Using your rug as your color pallet pick tile that is on the brighter side. Paint the top of the thimble a dark color to pull in the darker color in your rug. Measure the circumference of the top of the thimble have a piece of glass cut for this Now you have a home made and very attractive piece of furniture specific to your taste.

I would also invest in one piece of art work to place on this table. Either a southwest style vase or pot or maybe even a piece from Melody in Motion if you prefer something western. They have some very attractive pieces that play music as well as move.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @annasteele If I moved the chair to the right of the console what would go in the open space to the left of it?
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the other two walls.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Seeing the other two walls helps a lot, bastewart. You've got kind of an eclectic collected style and a bit of rearranging will pull it all together. First, all your art is too high and too haphazard. The cross in the corner is crammed, and your stuff sort of "litters" the room. Let's see if we can't make things look a bit more intentional. I shall return.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Not every wall must be covered, nor every space filled. The eye needs places to rest.

I've moved the doors to the wall behind the sofa and grouped them with the cross and the Stewart sign.

I put your two matching canvases on the mantel.

The TV wall is beautifully simple now.

Bring some of that turquoise from the door throughout the room in pillows or throws or a vase.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the other photos of the room. I think you can move the sofa grouping closer to the fireplace. In the same L-shape as you have. This will allow a walkway space behind both sofas due to the doorways on that side of the room. The loveseat will have a path behind it.

Just move the entire arrnangement closer to the fireplace. You have the space. Coffee table and rug also moves closer to the fireplace. Move the chair closer to the fireplace too and closer to the new placement of the sofas.

You won't have to walk around all the sofas to get to the other rooms. Creates a path that is more comfortable for moving in the spaces.
  • indomom
    10 years ago
    Is that a little elephant table in the corner to the left of the fireplace? Would that work to the left of the love seat instead of the square table?
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok. Here is what I was able to fix today. I will be looking for some blue pillows for couch. My husband didn't want to move the doors and I'm ok with that. We slid them down a bit to allow more space over by the chair.

I could move the elephant table over there to the little couch.

Sorry about the color of pictures. Flash was off! :)
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm loving the mirror and rearrangement of the canvases.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle Could you photoshop any of these for me? Thoughts on any of these?
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Could you use new fireplace picture! :)!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Would you and hubby be open to trying the furniture moved closer to the fireplace? I think you will like how you can access the areas.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes! I told him and he said he might like that. They are super heavy and the little feet fall off so we are going to attempt that when he feels better from the flu. It was super awesome to get him to hang the mirror!
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @lbinteriors do you like either of these? I'm basing color off of @groveraxle's picture earlier....
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    What a wonderful hubby! I think the drapes could be a liitle heavier. I would like something that is not sheer for this room. I think white or ivory.
  • bastewart928
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found these!
  • louth
    10 years ago
    You have a lovely space to work with bastewart928. I am an amateur so can't offer anything like the suggestions above, but I think the cross kinda 'needs' to be above the door into your dining area - I agree with above that it looks squashed in where it is. Also, the feature doors might be nice hung on the wall of the staircase parallel to the stair rail. I feel that as there are a lot of doorways and entryways surrounding the room the feature doors are a little too much. Could you even hang one of them as the 'under the stairs' door?
  • louth
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I hadn't refreshed this page and missed out on the bit where you want to keep the doors where they are - scrap that!

It's looking really nice now. Curtains will be magic :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    The last drapes look quite beige, I would go ivory or white, unless your rug is beige.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    This room is sooo busy and not enough at the same time,I am confused looking at it ,neat stuff in there just not certain it all Ned's to go in there
  • Brown Dog
    10 years ago
    You have a lot going on in your living room. And it almost looks like student housing! Sorry! Your tv console looks like a small chest of drawers with the drawers removed. Yikes! Might be a good idea to start with a plan and start replacing some of your bigger pieces. You may not need to replace everything, just key pieces. I'd start with the tv console. Your tv is on a big wall so you can go big and solve some of your storage issues at the same time. I'm thinking twice as wide as what you are currently using, like the size of a generous side board. Your beautiful doors I would hang (yes hang, not lean) on the wall behind your couch. Hang them side by side with nothing else around for full impact. Next I would replace the reddish chair with something more current and not so dated. Add side panels to your windows to give them more architectural presence. Beef up your table lamps, the are the wrong scale for your big upholstered pieces. And finally edit the small vases, wood boxes and decorations on all your surfaces and on the floor and I would lose all the small tables and spools. They are making the space look cluttered and a tad old lady. Go for larger statement pieces and fewer of them. Your couch, matching chair and coffee table are fine for now. Your actual room has GREAT bones and has the potential to be a lovely room that everyone will want to spend time in. Good luck!