Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadulczak

Wall paint color

Cait
10 years ago
I am in the process of having the hall bath redone. The new tile is up and now I am trying to figure out what color to paint. I was looking for any suggestions besides tan/beige (my go to colors) Maybe something a little different? I still need to pick a countertop too.

Comments (60)

• Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bought two sample paint colors today. Think I like the top color best. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Luxe Property Staging
    10 years ago
    I agree with you. I like the top one as well. Plus once all the walls are painted the top color will look darker. So take that lighter one. The color goes better and doesn't compete with the tile. I always say the tile cost more than paint so that should show off more. That should be the focal point. Bring the best out it that.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'd go gray -- definitely gray! With hues of brown or blue. Not green.

Top left: Light French Gray by Behr
    Top right: Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore
    Bottom left: Edgecomb Gray by Benjamin Moore
    Bottom right: Rockport Gray by Benjamin Moore

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    Cait thanked Thos. Baker
  • User
    10 years ago
    I can not believe you did not sample the Nomadic Desert. Give it a chance;))
  • PRO
    Luxe Property Staging
    10 years ago
    I also like grey with that tile. A color like stone. Not blue grey or green grey.
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm going back for more samples :) My husband insisted on picking a few out and these were his pick. I'll post once I get them - Margo, i'll definitely try Nomadic Desert. I also will try a grey!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thoughts on these lights? I want something to jazz it up a bit, but I'm not sure if these will be too much. The vanity is an espresso with a matching mirror and I think I'm going with a white vanity top.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Otis-Designs-3-Light-Chrome-Crystal-Square-Shade-Wall-Sconce/7026719/product.html
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Denita. I looked at this for a countertop yesterday. White with a very faint grey through it.

http://www.caesarstoneus.com/products/color/5000/
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    That is beautiful! A very nice way to tie in your colors
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi cadulcsak, love your vanity lights! Still, I had a thought that I wanted to share. Perhaps you might want to consider vanity lights in bronze or wood to enhance the brown shades in the tile. Am posting a couple of different ideas that may not have the glitz, but they've got style! If you were to decide on gray walls, I think the brown and gray color scheme would look dynamic! No matter what you and your husband decide on, just be sure that it marries well with the gorgeous tile you've chosen!

• fozzie55
    10 years ago
    Benjamin Moore CSP100, it's a nice cool gray.... My favorite and it would look good with the tile
  • arnickels
    10 years ago
    Your tile is fantastic. Could you post info on what it is, who makes it, please? We are planning our retirement home & it would be great in the hall bath. We will be replicating our newly renovated master bath in the new house. It's similar colors with a dark chocolate vanity & a 105" Antique Brown granite counter. We decided that we wanted to go a different way than beige/gray/griege like the tile. After painting 9 different samples all over the bathroom to catch different light, we used Atmospheric Pressure by McCormick, a great gray/blue with a hint of lavender. Even our GC loved the finished room even though he disagreed with my choice at first.
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you arnickels. It is by Marazzi and called crystal river.
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thos. baker - love the 4th light you posted. If I have chrome faucets and shower fixtures would the bronze color work? (I'm so bad at matching things)
  • happynons
    10 years ago
    Is Behr's Ethiopia too dark? I'm thinking of that for my bath as well.

Paints Stains And Glazes by Santa Ana Home Media Design & Installation Erika Woelfel
    Pic did not post.
  • happynons
    10 years ago
    trying again
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I picked up two of your suggestions tonight. Bottom is nomadic desert and top is rock port grey. I think I am leaning more towards the top color....
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    The top color seems to work better - at least on my monitor it appears better.
  • User
    10 years ago
    This is Nomadic Desert in my bath with Travertine. I think the greens and the gray will make your bath feel cold. You did not give the paint samples much of a chance where you put them. The Nomadic Desert is really a nice warm color. I will not keep pushing, you have to live with it;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi cadulczak. I'm glad you liked one of the vanity lights I posted! The 4th one would be the bottom right photo, correct? It's a bronze metal finish and I see no problem joining it with chrome fixtures. Some might say that you should choose bronze fixtures to be consistent, but I think you can mix some things up and this would be one of them. Perhaps you could install bronze fixtures for the bath and hand towels to add a little more bronze to the bathroom. You can't go wrong there because bronze captures the brown shades in your tile.

I wanted to add that when choosing a color for your bath, keep in mind that darker colors make a room look smaller. If you like dark colors and don't mind the shrinkage effect they have -- great. If you don't want that effect, but you really like a certain color, examine the lighter shades on the same color swatch. Also, every paint color dries slightly darker than the way it looks in the can.

I'm posting a swatch that shows a few variants in the gray family of color. Notice some look like they have peach or pink hues, some look like they have hints of brown or green, and some seem to have blue or purple hues? When picking a color, it's important to put the sample swatches side by side, so you can see more clearly which shade you truly want on your walls.

I'm also looking at the photo you posted and the difference between Nomadic and Rockport Gray. It could be the way the computer screen delivers the color, but Nomadic looks like a shade of peach and Rockport Gray looks dark tan. You're smart to put colors side by side because that reveals the color's actual potential for the room.

For a bathroom, I would strongly recommend staying with the shades that are the two lightest on each color swatch. Second to the lightest is really the best row to go with. I hope that helps and makes sense!

• arnickels
    10 years ago
    Christi at Thos. Baker - could you please post the name & manufacturer of the fixture you posted with the circles? Thanks.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Wall paint color - Houzz · More Info

Paint Color SW 6155 Rice Grain from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

This is a family you will want to try without going green, blue or mauve. It's also a medium light value.
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    Rock port grey works best because it has some warmth mixed into the grey like the tile does. I 'd still go lighter to keep things bright. Then add color with accessories and towels.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    @ Karen...My monitor never shows colors accurately and it gets so frustrating. Or maybe I am color-blind? Margo's 'Nomadic Desert' doesn't appear peach to me? What does 'RGN' and 'LRV' mean on paint strips. Does knowing this info help make a paint color decision?

SW 6155 Rice Grain
    Color Family: Warm Neutrals
    Color Strip: 23
    RGB Value: R-218 | G-210 | B-186
    Hexadecimal Value:#DAD2BA
    LRV: 64.72
    Paint Color SW 6155 Rice Grain from Sherwin-Williams · More Info

SW6107-Nomadic-Desert
    Color Family: Warm Neutrals
    Color Strip 16
    RGB Value: R-198 | G-180 | B-152
    Hexadecimal Value #C6B498
    LRV: 47
    SW6107 Nomadic Desert by Sherwin-Williams · More Info
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi arnickels. I believe I found that wall sconce right here on Houzz, but I'm not 100% sure, as I view a lot of photos daily. If you can't find it here, check on Kichler.com. That's the other site that comes to mind. My apologies for not having the exact name and manufacturer of that fixture, but if I come across it, I'll post it to this thread for you.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    bubbas: The LRV is the light reflective value, meaning the higher the number out of 100 total, the lighter the color. The RGB is red, green and blue. The numbers will give you an idea if a color has more of one than the others which will tell you the leanings of the color. So if the R red is a higher number, that will tell you that color has a red leaning, which can be offset with the B blue, turning it more lavender and so on and so on.
  • PRO
    Shearer Painting
    10 years ago
    Show off the tile!!! Choose a color that compliments and showcases the tile. Off whites and brown grays. I like the white in picture.
    www.wonderfulcolors.org
    Fireplace Mantle Color Change · More Info
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your help/advice - I really appreciate it! Here is the pic of the color I went with and I really do like it. Rock port grey. Now onto the fixtures and to finish staining the vanity... Here is also a before pic! What a difference!
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Looking great. Keep us posted!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Rockport Rocks! Great choice. :)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi cadulczak. Yay! I'm so happy to hear that you decided on Rockport Gray and even happier to hear that you really like it. It looks great!

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi arnickels. I found the name of the vanity sconce (above) that you inquired about. It's the Dale Tiffany Meridian Vanity Light. It can be found on Wayfair, HSN, lampsusa and lampsbeautiful.

• Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Margo- I love the color with your tiles. Those are very similar to the tiles we are looking at for in our master. I will definitely keep normadic desert in mind! And your rugs/towels are awesome. Love animal print!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Almost two months later and the bathroom will be complete on Friday!! Beyond excited! Now... What color shower curtain/towels!? I bought these towels and accessories yesterday. Opinions? If I use these I don't know what color curtain to get... Thoughts are much appreciated and thanks in advance!!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the tile up close. Has tans browns grays. Lots of colors to pull from.
  • jturner2urf
    10 years ago
    I love the shower! Nice choice!
  • PRO
    Luxe Property Staging
    10 years ago
    You can never go wrong with big white fluffy towels and hotel quality white shower curtain. Bathrooms look best and capture attention when they look like a spa!!! I would do all white towels, curtain etc and just a hint of color for art or accents in sea blue, sea green, olive green, or deep grayish blue. Keep the mood calm and relaxing . Don't suddenly throw in a bright energetic color for pop! Bathrooms aren't the best place to do that. It sure is looking really great!!!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Luxe Property Staging! I wasn't sure if a white shower curtain would be too much white. I am going after work to look for one. I really like your idea of an accent in a calm color. I bought the one picture, but am looking for another to put over the toilet. Hopefully I can find one in a color you suggested. Can't wait to put it all together!
  • PRO
    Luxe Property Staging
    10 years ago
    Your welcome! White is bright, happy, fresh, clean looking and gives the spa feel. Plus it makes the room look big and spacious. Keeping it white allows you to do small accent colors with decor items. That is the easy part because if you get bored later and want to change the look or for fall/winter to spring/summer you only have to change the accent pieces.
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's done!! Thank you all so much for your input and advice to help complete my bathroom!! I'm beyond thrilled with the way it turned out!
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Wow! cadulczak! It looks GREAT!!!
  • PRO
    Luxe Property Staging
    10 years ago
    Love how it all turned out!!!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Very nice;) What is the name of the color you put on the walls?
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Margo - Rock Port Grey :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Did I just see your towels at JCPenney?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Don't be showing that *word art* picture around HOuzz, they may delete your account lol
  • snikalfritz
    10 years ago
    Absolutely beautiful!! Great choices!! Your making me want to start a bathroom redo!! Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of a flooring redo right now!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I picked up the towels at Home Goods and then I saw almost the exact same ones at Target so I bought the floor rugs from there. It was meant to be! Is Houzz not into word art? lol! I thought it was cute:)