Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandydigsdesign

Electric toothbrush issue!

Sandra L
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We are embarking on a bathroom remodel. I don't have any plans drawn to show you all yet, but I do have a simple question. We use an electric toothbrush and currently it sits on our counter. It constantly gets knocked over because the cord to outlet is very short. I want to build into the new vanity some accommodation for this electric toothbrush so it can stay plugged in yet is out of the way. Has anyone dealt with this and, if so, what was your solution? I thought about making a deep drawer with outlet at the back, but I think the constant opening and closing of the drawer would knock it over as well! I know there are some smart people out there who have probably solved this issue easily . . .

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago
    Get a medicine cabinet with a plug inside. If done right, the cabinet can disappear when surrounded by mirror. Look at Robern for some examples. There are a ton of pics on houzz, but you have to hunt for the cabinets because they are almost invisible. It's amazing how much you can fit in one. Make certain to get a model that has mirror inside the door and the back of the cabinet so you still have mirror when the door is open.
    Sandra L thanked User
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Not sure if something like this would work? I am thinking some sort of built in shelf/nook tall enough for the toothbrush and with an outlet installed right next to it? Maybe a shelf on side wall (don't know your layout or where the walls are...) I have the same kind of issue- my Sonicare TB and the charging base sit on the counter top but it is mostly tucked in the corner so it does not get really knocked over.....but I still hate the fact that is has to sit on the counter. I have to unplug it to plug in my hairdryer....we only have the 1 outlet.
    Master Bathroom · More Info
    Sandra L thanked cabingirl13
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    We use an Oral-B that has room for 4 brush heads on the right and the main body on the left. It never falls over. Maybe because it's hefty? http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Prowhite-Precision-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B008PEMR0O/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=109CPFJYJP6XKJ4MTYGS
    Sandra L thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    Why do you have to leave the charger out on the counter. Any electric toothbrush I have had, including current Oral-B stays charged for at least a week. I keep a cover on the toothbrush part and store in the medicine cabinet. The charger stays in a drawer. About every 5 days I charge the toothbrushes overnight. Personally I think it is unhygienic to leave toothbrushes exposed on countertop.
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    My Sonicare has the little UV cleaner box-charging base together so the detachable tip goes in to the cleaner box every night...that is why it is left on the counter. If I could store it somewhere else that made more sense I would...but it needs to be plugged in to do it's cleaning.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Our son and his wife just built a new home and in their master bath, between their sinks, they have a little appliance garage like you would find in a kitchen.....with the outlets hidden in it. So they can plug in their tooth brushes and then just close it up and they are out of sight. There is enough circulation so the brushes can still dry.
  • tmaxi
    10 years ago
    We have been discussing this issue for our bathroom remodel. We are planning on a cabinet tower between the 2 sinks. Originally the bottom of the tower was to be 2 drawers and a cabinet above but now thinking of making the bottom either open like a bookshelf or put an appliance type closure on it. And yes, put an electrical outlet in it, too. My husband has a small shaver he keeps plugged in as well. Also a good place for the toothpaste and box of kleenex... Other ideas?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    This sort of cabinet tower not only helps separate the two sink areas, but it is sooo functional.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    The solution that I used for the electric razor was to get a little floating shelf installed right next to the outlet ,no more pulling or fear to have it fall off,

like this one here for example

International bathroom reno · More Info
  • Sandra L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all! Condomary, my toothbrush (OralB) does not have a separate charger, the cord is permanently attached. Perhaps we need to upgrade! At any rate, I love the "appliance garage" idea and think that is the way we'll go. Thanks so very much to all. I am new to this site and it is truly awesome. I do appreciate your response.
  • Sandra L
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, tmaxi, my husband also has an electric shaver that we want to accommodate as well (not to mention my blow dryer and curling iron)
  • signym
    6 years ago
    We designed the medicine cabinets to include a plug for the tooth brush. Although not yet done the cabinets will have a mirror on the front that extends 1/4” to the right and left, flush top and bottom and extend as a finished cabinet about 1” out from tile so as to create a shadow effect. The shelves are adjustable.
  • enjoythejourney
    6 years ago

We recently remodeled our ensuite, and faced the same issue. Code here prevented us from placing a live outlet in a closed cabinet (even an appliance garage had to cut the power, when the door closed) so I had an outlet added to the cabinet in the water closet. The toothbrushes and shaver charge in there, out of site. It’s a great solution, if you have the room.