Need help for my curb-less shower
marg1212
I'm planning a curb-less shower for the master bath. My floor tile will be 6x24 porcelain planks that I would like to continue right through into the shower. The shower floor will have radiant heat.

My question is: "is it wise to have this porcelain floor tile extended to the shower floor. I really like the look but will it be too slippery?"

Although I don't want to, should I put a smaller mosaic tile on the floor of the shower? I have seen designs with the larger tile used on the floor of the curb-less shower, I'm just not sure if it will be too slippery.

Thank you
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
It really depends on the porcelain planks that you choose.
You can experiment with the tiles that you want to use by lining them up outside, hosing them down and walking on them barefoot.....They are only 6" wide which should give your feet some traction...
You also might find a tile that comes in two textures, one that is smooth and one that is slip resistant.........
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marg1212    February 20, 2014 at 11:32PM
Design Build Pros
I agree with above. There is a product that is called InvisaTread that has worked for us in the past. It alters the finish of the tile, so you will want to try it out on a sample before applying it everywhere. Also, following instructions for application is the key to good results.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marg1212    February 21, 2014 at 2:28AM
Heirloom Design Build
Additionally, I would want to make sure there was proper pitch for drainage. A mosaic tile would allow for achieving drainage easier than a large tile. When you have a larger tile you cannot pitch correctly to the drain without cutting it up. Since you will not have a curb I think you need to consider a proper fall to the drain. Good luck!
    Bookmark   Thanked by marg1212    February 28, 2014 at 12:12AM
Sophie Wheeler
Sure, you can use large format for a seamless no transition break curbless shower. Just make sure that the COF is greater than .5 to prevent slippage, and that the proper structural work is done to eithe jackhammer the slab and repour the entire bath to pitch into a trench drain along one entire wall. Or on a second floor or crawlspace, the floor joists need to be reinforced and lowered so that the entire room has the 1/4" to 1/2‘‘ pitch towards the trench drain. This is NOT a cheap project to do. It needs experts who can perform the structural altrations to the home correctly, plus an expert tile setter and a membrane shower like Kerdi for the whole floor.

A less expensive option than a wetroom is to choose a different tile for the shower area, or allow for a natural break in the pattern at the shower edge so that only the shower portion is sloped towards the drain. You still have to meet the requirement that the entry to the shower be 2'' above the drain, so that effectively means that the MINIMUM width of a curbless shower is 48'' wide with the shower section sloping the max allowed 1/2" per foot to the trench drain. This still requires more space than a trditional shower, and also more skill to plan and execute. Still not an iexpensive choice.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by marg1212    February 28, 2014 at 4:35AM
My bath and shower need help, and my laundry room has the furnace expo
My master bath has a shower that looks 50ish and needs...
ellachazan
need help for my shower
can i use porcelain tiles with metal effect inside...
Valerie Gittens
Need help with my bathroom remodel
remodeling I am taking my bathtub out and put a shower...
sjfollis
NEED HELP WITH MY SHOWER GLASS
New home build and have hard water. What can be used...
shannonbarnes
Flooring Advice?
We would like to replace the living room carpet with...
psimko
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Family room
Our room is very dark, and it need some light and color....
Stephanie Pellish
Re- finishing floors . What color finish would look best?
We are having the entire first floor re- finished and...
floreslj
WHERE CAN I FIND THIS TABLE/BAR?
I found a dining room set I really like on West Elm....
Olivia