Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marg1212

Need help for my curb-less shower

marg1212
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I'm planning a curb-less shower for the master bath. My floor tile will be 6x24 porcelain planks that I would like to continue right through into the shower. The shower floor will have radiant heat.

My question is: "is it wise to have this porcelain floor tile extended to the shower floor. I really like the look but will it be too slippery?"

Although I don't want to, should I put a smaller mosaic tile on the floor of the shower? I have seen designs with the larger tile used on the floor of the curb-less shower, I'm just not sure if it will be too slippery.

Thank you

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It really depends on the porcelain planks that you choose.
    You can experiment with the tiles that you want to use by lining them up outside, hosing them down and walking on them barefoot.....They are only 6" wide which should give your feet some traction...
    You also might find a tile that comes in two textures, one that is smooth and one that is slip resistant.........
    marg1212 thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • PRO
    IMPROVE or MOVE
    10 years ago
    I agree with above. There is a product that is called InvisaTread that has worked for us in the past. It alters the finish of the tile, so you will want to try it out on a sample before applying it everywhere. Also, following instructions for application is the key to good results.
    marg1212 thanked IMPROVE or MOVE
  • PRO
    Heirloom Design Build
    10 years ago
    Additionally, I would want to make sure there was proper pitch for drainage. A mosaic tile would allow for achieving drainage easier than a large tile. When you have a larger tile you cannot pitch correctly to the drain without cutting it up. Since you will not have a curb I think you need to consider a proper fall to the drain. Good luck!
    marg1212 thanked Heirloom Design Build
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sure, you can use large format for a seamless no transition break curbless shower. Just make sure that the COF is greater than .5 to prevent slippage, and that the proper structural work is done to eithe jackhammer the slab and repour the entire bath to pitch into a trench drain along one entire wall. Or on a second floor or crawlspace, the floor joists need to be reinforced and lowered so that the entire room has the 1/4" to 1/2‘‘ pitch towards the trench drain. This is NOT a cheap project to do. It needs experts who can perform the structural altrations to the home correctly, plus an expert tile setter and a membrane shower like Kerdi for the whole floor.

A less expensive option than a wetroom is to choose a different tile for the shower area, or allow for a natural break in the pattern at the shower edge so that only the shower portion is sloped towards the drain. You still have to meet the requirement that the entry to the shower be 2'' above the drain, so that effectively means that the MINIMUM width of a curbless shower is 48'' wide with the shower section sloping the max allowed 1/2" per foot to the trench drain. This still requires more space than a trditional shower, and also more skill to plan and execute. Still not an iexpensive choice.
    marg1212 thanked User
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!