Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ggmeesh

Please help me design my small living room!

ggmeesh
10 years ago
Hello, I posted yesterday with no response:( maybe my messy house scared everyone..heres how it looks on a GOOD day....i have a very narrow living room in my new place. Im having a hard time deciding on what to do as far as an entertainment center. Right now our tv is on top of a dresser which was just a temporary solution until i make a final decision. Im on a budget, hoping not to spend more than $600 (on the entertainment center). I was thinking a console with 2 media piers, but then again I'm afraid that something too large will crowd the room.

Other design tips would be great, our curtain rod & curtains were ripped out by my over excited dog. So that has to be redone with some better anchors. Considered an area rug but with a dog who sheds a ton, that might not be practical. Obviously need something on our walls still.
Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• ggmeesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Behind the living room area is the dining room with the kitchen off to the side
  • ggmeesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, yeah, the clutter is mostly the kids toys, Im looking for storage solutions for those as well. Their bedroom/playroom is also under construction. On top of the dresser are the cable box, wii etc. which will be in an entertainment center whenever i figure that out. Abstract art isn't exactly my taste but thank you!
  • PRO
    Baine Contracting, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Since it is a narrow space and you have kids (thus the toys) I would suggest you look for a narrow piece maybe 16" to 18" in depth maybe 5 - 6' long. There are some great pieces on sites like Joss & Main or in Home Goods stores that are affordable.
    ggmeesh thanked Baine Contracting, Inc.
  • Jane Xiao
    10 years ago
    You should post an ikea Mongstad horizontally on the wall. Are you going for a modern look?
  • PRO
    GSDesigns
    10 years ago
    As you have noted, your windows need some dressing. Finding pet friendly solutions and still having some semblance of style can be difficult, I have two cats and blankets all over my furniture. That being said, there are solutions out there. For an area rug, I would suggest a sisal rug. This product is a natural fibre that is quite durable for both children and pets. It is also relatively inexpensive.
    Other than that, since your budget is limited, although your sofa is too large for the space, it looks fairly new, and thus should be worked around. Consider opening up more floor space by mounting your TV on the wall. A wall mount that articulates will let you watch TV from your dining area as well. Storage furniture will be your best bet and IKEA will most likely fit your budget best. I am not a fan of the dresser in the living room, but that's my taste.
    Once your children's bedroom/playroom is completed, I think you will be well on your way with the suggestions here.
    Best of luck, looking forward to the results.
    ggmeesh thanked GSDesigns
  • ggmeesh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think of these?
  • PRO
    CDH Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    Those are both nice options. Which one fits your style and storage needs better?
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    This was posted in March - do you still need help? I agree with the idea of mounting your TV on the wall as tall dark media units are only going to make the room look narrower. Can you put storage - even an armoire or closet from a consignment store on the short wall or either side of your windows and just have a nice blind on the window instead of drapes? IKEA has some really great, big, mirrors which are surprisingly cheap.