Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quick123

Remodel Bath, for upscale home Resale.

Quick123
10 years ago
Same lagoon home; starting new post for interior assistance with Bath remodel.
Jacuzzi? Soaking tub? Standing Shower? What do I do to make it most attractive considering the limited space. Room is aprox 9'x8' (Current Tub is only 4.5' feet long though). Currently Bathroom as dual doors from Hallway and Master Bedroom.

Comments (85)

• apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    How about a new clerestory slider window very high up? Looks like an old window was closed up already. About a foot or 18 inches high, almost as long as the space is wide. Adds light and ventilation possibility but doesn't get wet directly by the shower spray.
    Quick123 thanked apple_pie_order
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    A few looks I will suggest for the bathroom to go with for sure a double walk in shower, tiled, glass doors as suggested in first post here.

Neutral: earth toned or darker brown tiles. Porceiline tiles have come a long way and are more cost effective. Brushed nickle or oil rubbed bronze finishes look nice with this.
    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Water side feel: I see you have dry wall still above and stripped below, which if you like this look could do a framed in beadboard as in picture. This looks best with a white/antique white vanity, brushed nickle or stainless in the finishes.
    Duneseye · More Info
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    If you opt for a bead board on the bottom portion of walls, tiles with tones of grey and off white look nice with this. the pic shows marble, but is expensive, check out whats available at better prices.
    Bethesda · More Info

Also, frameless glass shower doors look more sleek in a smaller bathroom IMO.
    Brown Marble Bathroom · More Info
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I think you mentioned "upscale" reno.... do not use any vinyl, formica, or other builder's grade materials. Beadboard is not good in a bath... take the tub/doors out and put in a nice dual head shower with LED lighting. The space looks small, so I would opt for a pedestal sink in place of the dated vanity. Tile the floors....choose a color scheme that will look nice with joining areas.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Hey, Quick. Looks like you got some suggestions! A few thoughts on Waterside Americana....love the Lake House NY kitchen that Kathryn put up. Feels kind of right. I know people say just put a pedestal sink in small bathrooms, but I'd never buy any place that looked spacious but didn't have a place to put unmentionables. Big shower with opaque, not clear glass. Clear glass = cleaning nightmare. Opaque/patterned glass = can drift on cleaning. That, and not everyone wants to be "seen" while showering, even by their spouse...since they share the bathroom and all. :)
    Quick123 thanked nwduck
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Hi Quick, I couldn't help myself and took a look at the inside of your lagoon home. Good call on gutting the bathroom! But I vote for a clear glass shower. They have coatings now that shed water better. The one thing I just can't get over is the arrangement of the appliances in the kitchen. Whoever designed that layout should be fired. If you are going to the expense of granite, you should consider moving the stove to the fridge opening, then rip out the full-length cupboard on the right and install one of those narrow loft fridges, like this one: http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/ffbf285ss. It is 28" wide. If the gas pipe is the problem, go to an electric stove. Fill the M/W opening with a cabinet box w/shelf for glassware, put a recycling center under the counter, a pull-out cart with chopping block, or get another cabinet -- this style is easy to replicate. If your buyer is going to live there, this kitchen is a deal-killer. It screams rental property, cheap landlord. Also, you have to do under-cabinet lighting. And paint the beadboard in the dining area. To leave the stove in its current location is a bad idea. Kitchens and baths sell the house.
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    The style of your cabinet is an arched-door semi-full overlay cabinet. Look inside a drawer for the maker. I also think you should consider a 30" stove. That 36" stove is a behemoth with so little counter space. With a 30" stove in the fridge opening, you could put a filler on the left side (like a single-column wine rack) covered by a bit of counter. People who cook prefer counters on both sides of the stove. The existing stove-sink combo is terrible for right-handed cooks.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rcnj: leaning towards a bath, as currently the only other full bath in the home is also, just a shower stand. No bath. don't you think a home has to have at least one Bath? regarding kitchen...will think about it.
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Hi Quick, my real estate friends are always very clear that there has to be at least one tub in the home. For bathing the little ones, people with sore joints, etc. I took out one tub in my rental and turned it into a shower: no one uses the tub, but I don't think it would be wise to take it out. My main beef with those old standard tubs is that they are so shallow they are impossible to submerge in. Look at a bigger nicer tub like Kohler's Expanse. Since you have the window, I would suggest a hand-held shower/rain shower combo like Kohler's hydrorail and stage it as the luxury bath. People would shower in a tub that was roomier than those '80s setups. I know lots of people like the hand shower for a quick wash. You could also do a rain shower head since you gutted it. Those always look very upscale. Your other helpers should have suggestions on what to do.

Also, for granite you should look at Stone Tech in Trenton. Good prices and great service. Last year (I haven't been this year), they had these grey slabs that looked like quartz but were actually concrete (and inexpensive!).

Sorry to be a pain about the stove. I hate incompetent design. But if you're lifting off the counter and buying new appliances it is worth thinking about shuffling things around. Moving base cabinets is easy -- just a couple of screws and some shims.

On the plus side, you can easily run the gas outside the house and have a fire pit! Or gas grill!
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rcnj: Did you mean Trenton, NJ. You based in NJ?
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    You could always take away part or all of the MBR closet that shares a wall with the bathroom and put in a separate shower. It depends on where you could create a new closet.
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Yes, in NJ. Hence RCNJ. The lagoon home is in Brick, isn't it?
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Relax! I used to hang out in Brick. Not a stalker. Also, your landscaper bid might be a bit high because every contractor in Ocean County is in Ortley Beach rebuilding the place after the hurricane.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    RcNJ: can i reach you off line?
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm leaning towards replacing Kitchen as redoing the current one was to uncertain and confusing. What do we think about this layout? color? design? its a good price and i got this from a kitchen pro yesterday. Is it a go? Any changes? Feedback appreciated.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    @Quick, looks like a blank black box to me.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Too dark for entire kitchen. Use this on the bottom and white wall (upper) cabinets - a contemporary look. Either a white quartz or granite countertop with subway or glass tile backsplash (depending upon which way you go with countertop) Since you're now going to replace the cabinets, you really need to rework the layout and get rid of the range position - way too close to the sink.

Question: 1. What is the door to the left of the refrigerator? Does it go to a basement or is it a pantry? 2. What is the room through the doorway next to the refrigerator? Dining room? Family room? 3. What is the room at the opposite end with the wood floors? Dining? Living room?

The reason I am asking is because, if there is a formal dining space, I would open the kitchen up to that and use it as the only dining space. Then you would have more room in the kitchen for a better layout. By incorporating that kitchen dining space, you could add a few cabinets either in that area, or perhaps even add a narrow island (looks like you probably have just over 8 feet between the exterior wall cabinets and the opposite wall?) The range, or at least the cooktop, could be moved to the island. this will have to be carefully worked out, but I think it would make the kitchen much more functional and therefor more saleable!
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oops. forgot to upload..
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    This is MUCH better than the current layout, but I would still consider opening up the kitchen at one end.
    Quick123 thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • leemiller
    9 years ago
    We are doing an upscale renovation for keeping or resale - not sure yet. I'm planning on heated marble or stone floors in the bathroom. A glass frameless steam shower. Double vanity.

Please don't get those river stones whatever you do - they feel terrible on your feet! I also wouldn't get too much brown or too much of a home depot look. I think every room in a luxe remodel needs some expensive or "wow" feature. Part of the reason we settled on a fixer-upper was that I saw too many $$$ homes with builder grade renovations.

If you only have room in the master for a tub or shower, I'd either do a tub or a tub/shower combo. You might have some more room if you close off the hall door and only have one door into the bathroom. We're going to use some hall closet space and maybe bump out the wall into the master bedroom to get a foot or so (hopefully).

For your kitchen what about extending the hardwood into there? Are you refinishing the hardwood generally? I like the dark cabinets with the white counters, it is a high contrast look. I'd probably use brass hardware but stainless appliances and faucets. Can I ask what the cabinet brand is and what your quote was?
    Quick123 thanked leemiller
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    lee: this is for resale. we must keep cost vs value ratio in mind on every decision. For bath we are doing white marble tub and shower, as there is no tub in home. need at least one tub.

closing off door to hall not an option as the other 3 BR's upstairs won't have access to a bath.

bumping out closet was good idea, but didnt think it was worth the investment.

Cost of Kitchen is $4K aprox not including counter, hardware, sink and installation. Current floor is ceramic and unless it must be changed I'd rather keep it.

your detailed reply is much appreciated! Will keep you posted on progress (or lack thereof)lol
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    I think the new kitchen plan looks great Quick and good price as well. Thumbs up.
    Quick123 thanked rosecottagehome
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    bath remodel. white marble. that ok?
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    Love the white marble....yes, yes!
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So glad, Rose. As i was having 2nd thoughts...
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    I forget, you have a few projects on the go and posted here, but are you keeping the tub or going for the double walk in shower? Is the second pic with the tub out??
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    Hi Quick, sorry about dropping off the edge of the Earth. Death in extended family, but back on the job now. The bath looks great. So much more modern, larger tub, can't go wrong with marble tile. My next comments should be in the other threads, but I will just put them here for now: THANK YOU for redesigning the kitchen. It is so much more functional; the stove location was nuts. Don't do the $4K landscaping. Mulch, edge, prune stuff and you will be fine. You could just cap off and ignore the irrigation. I don't think it is a deal-breaker one way or the other.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Kitchen plan as of now...
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    RcNJ: sorry about the loss. Glad you approve of the tub. I added Kitchen plan above for your review.. Will try to curtail landscaping accordingly.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rose: consensus was to keep the tub as otherwise there would be no tub in the whole home.
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    Yes, tub is a must, I just thought second posted pic was a shot without the tub. I scrolled up to see the before pics of bathroom and kitchen......huge improvement Quick and real nice finishes. Will you do an espresso colored vanity and mirror for bathroom, similar to color on kitchen cabinets? Also did you sell that lovely older home with the front porch you added??
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    The kitchen layout is great. Counters on both sides of the stove, too! Consider an upgraded (wood) lazy susan for the corner base cabinet if the designer didn't add one. Probably won't affect sale one way or the other but they sure are convenient and upscale. You got a great deal on the kitchen install price. Subway tile backsplash is a good idea and you could do them in ceramic, marble or glass. Check out cooltiles.com or glasstilestore.com. I've gotten very nice tile from both of them but you have to pay for samples.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • rcnj
    9 years ago
    I should add that subway tile is laid with a running bond pattern, or offset joints, so be sure to tell the tile guy so you don't get a grid by accident. That would be too modern looking for the age of the house.
    Quick123 thanked rcnj
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rcnj: Thanks! can i contact you offline?
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    See pix of the kitchen...
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    bath pix
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great, Good or room for improvement?
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    Very pretty, Quick. Good to go on this room, for sure.
    Quick123 thanked nwduck
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    nwduck, thanks for the endorsement! Kitchen and landscaping are underway...
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Bath looks good, but next time take the tile higher up on the shower walls.
    Quick123 thanked Carol Johnson
  • nwduck
    9 years ago
    I've been out of town, but saw your landscape cleaned up. A little grass in that area where the evergreen tree used to be (just seed, and then overseed the existing lawn). Looks good. For those shrubs overhanging the curb, just neatly trim them back to curb edge (sometimes I trim from underneath first) and look for anything discolored (indicating a broken branch that died off, see your posted pics). Still wanting those red geraniums in pots when it goes to market. How does that gazebo area look?
    Quick123 thanked nwduck
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    The bathroom is gorgeous! Love the tile, the border tile, the vanity, the light....va va voom! That marble tile was a good call! Great job Quick.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    nwduck: Gazebo area is still a work in progress. Will get planter with Red Geraniums before going to market...
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rosecottage: :-) )
  • rosecottagehome
    9 years ago
    Quick, when is the new kitchen going in? Can't wait to see that after photo!
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    getting there... hang on...
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Carol, the tile guy didn't think we should bring the shower tile any higher the following was the logic: if all bath walls are not tiled up to ceiling, then don't tile shower all the way up. The logic being, even if a man is 6'5, the shower head should come to around his shoulders ... and the head is always lower, anyway. From an aesthetic viewpoint, it's too radical a difference to make it visually appealing if tiling up to ceiling. Hope the right decision was made.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Quick123, I think the bath looks fine the way it is now; however, the tile guy is flawed in his logic. Here the trend is to have the shower heads higher and not at one's shoulders. You would never find a shower head at shoulder level in an upscale home here. We've been tiling to the ceiling in the shower for many years already (decades). I realize there are regional differences in style, but I think your tile guy just didn't want to do the job. From a buyers' viewpoint it just looks like the investor was cheap or ran out of money which is not a good thing. By the way, you would be amazed at how often buyers make that comment when showing flips so they know the difference between a job done and a job done right. Anyway, it's not worth changing it at this late date but keep it in mind for future flips.
  • PRO
    The Well Planned Home
    9 years ago
    I would definitely go with a shower - with a frameless enclosure. This will make it feel a lot more open. A large framed mirror across the sink wall and toilet area will also open up the space.
  • Quick123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Planned: Appreciate you chiming in, but renovations have long been completed. Home has sold. Thanks to all of you for your assistance.