Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elenachristopher

Hardwood Flooring dilema!!!

Elaine Stone
10 years ago
I selected 4" white oak hardwood flooring, stairs and railings for our new home, to be sanded and finished on site, and selected a water based finish so that the floor's natural beauty could shine through. The builder then informed me (for the first time) that the stairs that were quoted were different... Red oak; not white. After one coating of the water based finish the flooring looks awesome but the stairs are very pink!
PLEASE... I need advice!

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago
    I would keep it all white oak. If the red oak is already installed against your written specification of white oak, I would expect the builder to rip out the red and give you the white oak.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    Since the quote was for red oak, you'll have to negotiate with the builder for the white oak. Red oak could be standard for stairs.
  • PRO
    Masterpiece Hardwood Flooring Ltd.
    10 years ago
    White oak and red oak have a slight difference in grain as well as natural colour (red being more red). Whoever ordered the wood should have ordered the same material for the floor and the stairs so I would say this is on them to fix. The only other option is to sand the floor and apply a light stain to tint it redder which may match closer but is a risk to get it right.
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The builder told me I was going to have white oak floors and never mentioned the stairs. I fell in love with white oak's natural appearance when floors were installed. (Stairs were not in yet.) That is when he told me it was standard for the stairs to be red oak and there would be an upcharge for the white oak stairs. He also told me that he did red oak natural stairs with the white oak natural floors before and it worked out ok. NOT this time : (
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This is a photo of the red oak steps vrs.. White oak floor...
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, it is easy to say... However, not so easy to implement. I still have to get this builder to give me quotes on additional work, built-ins, patio, etc. that were not in the original cost of the home.
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I believe Lampert Dias Architects, Inc. has the best idea with #2. Stain the red oak a contrasting darker shade and have stairs that are a slightly different shade then the floors. But, that still means the first coat of water based finish (?) has to be sanded off of the stairs, and railings, too!
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    If you are not happy with the builder you might consider getting bids from others for the additional work that does not need to be done before the final inspection by the building inspector. The outside patio, hardscape, landscape could be completed by someone else.
    Elaine Stone thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That is something that I haven't considered... but, will now : )
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Do you have anything in writing? Usually when selecting material and finishes they are in writing, so there is no confusion. Make sure you have any other items in writing before proceeding. Get competitive quotes for other items you want in your home eg. patio.
  • moneypenny02
    10 years ago
    Ugh, no real advice, but just want to commiserate with you because our flooring installer was a nightmare as well. The white oak does look gorgeous!
    Elaine Stone thanked moneypenny02
  • Elaine Stone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There are so many aspects to building a home... This being the second home we've ever built, but this one is much more elaborate than the first, 12 years ago. From the way it's been going, I think he is quite used to pulling things out of his bag of tricks... Offering the cheapest of products and saying if you want better there will be an up charge.
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations