Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaronrosarianzone5b

I've seen clover lawns, would letting wild violets take over be dumb??

I've noticed a number of wild violets in my front yard, which is minimal in terms of landscaping. I have yews against the house and a line of tulips along the sidewalk, but that's it other than green lawn. Would letting the wild violets take over be a lapse in judgment? I really do like how they look, and can't help but feel like it's better for the environment to have a lawn that doesn't need as much water.

What do you guys think? I've also considered replacing my lawn with vinca minor, which I think will achieve the same effect with less heartache should I decide I want to do something else in that space. But violets are free and literally grow like weeds, so that's a tempting alternative. I'd love to hear your thoughts on "natural" xeriscaping.

Comments (12)

• 3 years ago

It depends on the look you want from your lawn :-) Some are very OCD about their lawns and insist they be only pristine, weed-free turf grass. Others - like myself - will allow in the infiltration of various plants other than obvious large weeds, like dandelions, dock or thistles. My lawn includes the aforementioned violets, lawn daisies, some sort of creeping veronica, some random patches of ajuga and wild strawberry, clover and creeping charlie. There are even a few hardy cyclamen that have seeded themselves around.

I also never water my lawn. It may receive some overspray when I water planting beds but otherwise, NO irrigation other than rainfall. And I live in a summer drought area with almost zero rainfall between July and October. I just allow the lawn to go dormant. It rapidly springs back to life in fall.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 3 years ago

We have violets everywhere on our property. I have let them grow in shady beds under old tall evergreens, even transplanted them to those beds where they make a great ground cover. But I don’t let them invade the lawn. They die down for the winter and your lawn will look ratty and full of bare spots from Nov to May, and the winters aren’t as snowy now in 5b as they used to be, so not as much snow cover.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked chloe00s
  • 3 years ago

Is your lawn fairly shady? I'm having trouble with the idea of broad leaved shade tolerant plants being more drought tolerant than grass.

So I guess the first question is, why do you feel the grass needs to be watered?

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 3 years ago

I'm not sure violets would grow everywhere in a yard. I got a lot of them in some of the shadier areas of my lawn, but not so much in the open sun areas. Other stuff grows better in the sunny areas.

But like gardengal, I got all sorts of stuff growing all over in my lawn as well as grass. I try to encourage them, or wait if I can to give them some seed time.

I have some swaths of wild chives that I love to let grow- I get a good early spring crop of them for processing into a few things,. They have a nice flush above everything else starts growing up, so makes picking them clean easy. Every year the swaths grow a bit more.

I wish I knew an easy way of sowing in a bunch of little crocus bulbs. I'd do in a bunch in the very front yard down by the road.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked beesneeds
  • 3 years ago

I have a ton of violets in my yard. I just mow them after they bloom. If you don't water much and mow, your yard will end up full of stuff that can survive your treatment. It won't look like a picture postcard lawn, but it should be green and walkable.

I had Vinca years ago. It's not native, invasive and grows too high to walk on. I suspect it doesn't handle mowing well, but I never mowed mine.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked Sigrid
  • 3 years ago

Vinca starts looking ratty here in Northern NV without a lot of water in the hottest summer months.

have you thought about a Buffalo grass? or similar. (No personal experience myself but is looks interesting)

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked HighDesert Z 7a
  • 3 years ago

my experience has been that violets will take over, even where you don’t want them, and are difficult to get rid of once that happens (zone 4a Ontario).

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked Gargamel
  • 3 years ago

Do you have neighbors who wouldn't appreciate having their lawns perpetually invaded by your violets (because, they are aggressive, spreading both underground and by above ground seeding)? Not that they really have a right to dictate what you do... but something to think about.

Vinca is a bad idea as explained above. You might look into an herbal lawn as an alternative (IDK what would be good for your zone and climate).

My front lawn is entirely turf type tall fescue. I never water it, I only treat it with corn gluten meal, and it is thick and weed free - occassionally something will pop up along the edges, taken out in seconds with a knife when I am mowing. I do have to mow every 5 days or so however.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • 3 years ago

@raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio I think my violets spread from my neighbors who have let them run rampant :p I do have vinca elsewhere and was thinking to just.....let it grow and not mow. It's an incredibly sloped and shaded east facing front yard so walking on it would be minimal. I thought the violets were cute but I think I'm inclined to opt towards something that'll play nicer with others. Maybe clover :p

• 3 years ago

How big an area do you have? Maybe post some pics and then perhaps you’ll get some suggestions which may, or may not, be better than what you have...?

• 3 years ago

Shady, sloped and not for "lawn" use - I might plant a mix of lamium and some other spring blooming perennial plants (like pulmonaria and bulbs), and let the violets and vinca do their thing.. I actually have this in a couple of shady beds - the other plants grow happily through the vinca so they provide some color and interest, the vinca is green through winter, and no maintenance other than yanking out an obnoxious weed once in a while and trimming the vinca around the edges once a year to keep it in bounds.