LG House - KitchenContemporary Kitchen, Edmonton
LG House (Edmonton
Design :: thirdstone inc. [^]
Photography :: Merle Prosofsky
what are the cabinets, refirgerator + panels, countertops and islands made from? And how much was the cost?
- Sorry if I'm throwing all these questions at once, but I'm building a house that has a similar style to yours and I am very interested in your materials. This is the first time for me by the way. I haven't started but am looking around right now.
I guess my biggest question is for the refrigerator. How do custom paneled refrigerators get made/built? I went on Thermador's site and you can select 'custom paneled. So do you just order the fridge without the stainless steel and add the panel that you bought from your cabinetry manuacture? How is it added onto the fridge? My concern is if the fridge will overheat? I saw many people do this but I want to make sure. How much is the $ for the Thermador and the the panels. Do we just tell the cabinet manfacturer the sizes of it?
How much was the cost of the your kitchen? Everything, like the applicances too. I read in your questions that your cabinets are from Ikea? How is the quality of it, I'm aware Ikea isn't top notch, but is it still good quality? Can you see anything that may make it look ... 'cheap'?
Also with the island , the grey side, is the same material as the backsplash? It's thicker then the backsplash though, right? If not, then how is it holding up?
Overall I LOVE your kitchen! Great job (:
Are those cabinets available in Ikea?
- we are planning to go ahead with the similar look. Please help to elaborate more on where we can buy the same
lower wall cabinets
- How did you get the 3 long horizontal Abstrakt cabinets on the lower wall shelf? When I search Ikea site they don't make the doors in that size - or let's put it this way - they do make that size, but they say it needs to be vertical, not horizontal. Thx! :)
- Thanks for posting a beautiful kitchen. Can you tell me the size of the copper colored halogen lights as wellas the manufacturer. Many thanks.
One question about an alternate backsplash.
- Thanks so much for your quick reply to my "flush" question! Do you have a recommendation for a backsplash to use when using a gas cooktop? I have slate gray floors---so I love the color you have used. I'm looking for a clean, glossy cost effective material. I am using the same ikea high gloss and also white glass cabinetry. Thanks so much for all your answers. You've help more of us more thank you probably know!
- what is the suface you used for your island and what are the dimensions. We are planning on 104 long x 42 deep in Caesarstone or similar quartz. We are being told it may need to be supported which in my mind wrecks the entire look of it. Love the look of yours so curious.
- in regards to the hood vent, i can't see it clearly, but is it a pull out or is it actually hidden in one of the upper cabinets? what what kind of hood vent is it? i thank you for your answer
- Where did you have the backsplash cut? I'm local and looking to order something similar :)
I am loving everything about this kitchen
- I am on a third house remodel and am now very budget conscious. Are these Ikea cabinets, as I have been looking at them, and am leaning toward either grey or white, so just wondering if these are Ikea. Also, does this Ikea flooring hold up? I would be a little concerned about that part. I am going to see where you are located because I LOVE your work. :)
installation of backsplash easy and advice on counter top color
- I love how responsive you are to all these questions...very appreciated. also, love this kitchen. i am going to "steal" your idea of the ikea panel backsplash. how was this applied to the wall and is it easy to cut? also, i was planning on using organic white ceasarstone. now i'm second guessing myself and wondering if i should switch to blizzard/snow...it seems what everyone uses in modern kitchens. would love your advice. (the organic seemed "whiter" and "crisper" when we looked at the slabs.
Reveal above cabinets
- Hi! Love your work. Thanks for sharing!! My question: I like the narrow reveal above the top of the cabinets. Did you do that for aesthetics or functionality & can you share a section detail of how you addressed if you have one? Thanks in advance!!!
How did you attach the range hood by only using a cover panel for the front of it?
- thanks for all of your responses!
- Very nice work. Is the backsplash material water and stain resistant? And just confirming that it's just a simple panel just like the ikea cabinet doors, correct?
Gorgeous back splash..please forgive yet another technical question...
- How did the installer fasten cover panels to the wall? Have read IKEA installation instructions and cover panels are typically screwed from inside cabinet keeping outside looking flawless, but cannot work for back splash. Am using IKEA panel in my own kitchenette and also in a bachelor studio kitchen... would appreciate direction on this...thanks so much, Violette 13
- I love how responsive and open you are! Thank you in advance...
What is the countertop thickness on island and cooktop? I love the look of the thin counters, however, my fabricator can only do the Quartzite I picked out in 3cm.
What is the edge design used?
high gloss grey
- I have read a few places that the white frame of the cabinets will possibly peek through the sides of the abstrakt high gloss grey doors. Did you put strips on the white edging of the cabinets, or did you find this was not a problem? Thx...
kitchen hardware pulls /handle
- I wanted to know what is the brand/name of the cabinet handles?
Love the counter top
- It is very tricky to find a white counter top that matches white high glass cabinets. Can you tell me what type/colour counters these are?
Could you please tell me where the cabinets and doors are from...?
- Both my wife and I love the wonderful simplicity and beauty of this kitchen...great work...!.
how do you do it? looks so streamlined
- I have one last question, and thanks again for answering all my previous ones. I have my cabinets all set up, but I can't make the deeper upper cabinets have that flush clean look against the more shallow second level uppers. Is there a piece of cover panel placed under there? I understand if you don't want to give up some trade secrets. But this would definitely help my kitchen out! Thank you
- Please could you let me know the make/model of the range hood you use and how it vents?
- how much space is between the sink and the stove (the aisle)? I'm afraid I would bump into the cook while cleaning up the dishes:)
If I were to use white glossy tiles or the white gloss floors from Ikea with this glossy white kitchen.
- And use the same glossy backsplash in grey would it be fine. Or should the backsplash also be glossy white???
What is the height between the countertop and the upper cabinets?
- I love your design! What is the height between the countertop and the upper cabinets? I have seen recommendations of 18 inches, but this seems to be the "traditional" height. I have seen examples of more modern kitchen designs, and the height seems to be larger, like 24in, to make the space feel more airy. Do you have a recommendation?
I also like how you made the upper cabinets go to the ceiling to maximize storage. I have 9 foot ceilings, so I plan to use two rows of 12in deep upper cabinets, but position vertically instead of horizontally. Do you recommend using a larger vertical upper on the bottom row and shorter uppers for the top row (I see this in traditional designs)? Or would it be better to make it symmetric and use the same sized cabinets for both rows?
- where do you put the outlets on the island? I do not want them on the side of the quartz as I think it will ruin the look. What did you do?
Fridge built-in look... How?
- Hi there,
First of all, congrats on such an amazing project!, we are in the process of preparing/designing our kitchen and it is projects like yours and your awesome willingness to help others like us that make this project easier and fun.
We have just noticed your fridge at the end of your counter, it seems like it has a built-in look. We are looking at ways to get one (24in width) so far we can see that we can fit it inside a tall akurum High cabinet frame(http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/84381110/#/94381510) and cut the front doors to size from abstrackt high gloss white (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115875/?query=70115875#/40115867) we are concerned about how to get the doors cut to size and whether the finish of the cut is going to look good. Can we ask you how you went around this? Also what is your fridge side panel material? also abstrackt high gloss white?
Thanks once again for sharing your project.
I did read all your posts and hope I did not miss this answer!
- Love, Love your kitchen design! Thank you for such detailed information I love it!!! We are installing a kitchen very similar to your in a commercial property. The under cabinet lighting is my point of interest. Are the cabinets routed and lighting installed in the cabinetry? Or did you use a slight revel cover up? My goal is to have lighting flush with the cabinetry (or high gloss acrylic panel on the underside of the cabinetry).
We have been researching zenolite, do you have any experience/thoughts about such type of product? Would love to know!
Thank you again for information!
- Can you tell me the dimensions of the room ,this is what we would like to do in our home and how wide and long is the island.
If we sent you our dimensions could you see if the same thing could be repeated. How room is 216 inches long X 159 inches. Thank you Dan Berube
- Hi - any leads on another flooring that comes close to the Anthracite by IKEA Markland? I used the same floor in my office, but it has been d/c for over a year now. Understand it is by a German manufacturer for IKEA, but don't know whom. Really beautiful!!
Can I add tempered glass to the from of my refrigerator instead of wood?
- I have an older Amana that had a wood front panel to match my cupboards. I've done a bit of an update and would like to use glass instead of the wood on the panel-ready front. Any thoughts or suggestions?
- Is there an integrated hood inthis design? If so, what is the brand? What are you using for ventilation for the cooktop? Thank you
- are these handles also from ikea? and some cupboards don't look like they have any pulls at all. how do they open?
what is the thickness of the caesar stone?
I am doing a similar kitchen with pure white caesar stone, what is the thickness you used, if 1& 1/4", would you have done 1&1/2"? I have a 112 sq. feet of counter space. Like the thicker, worried about cost)Thank You in advance?
Beautiful clean looking kitchen! Are those Mockett handles?
- Just want to say, you guys have given the nicest most comprehensive answers I've ever seen on Houzz so....kudos to you! Thanks and great job on the kitchen!
- Love the smooth, sleek look of the flooring. Can you please tell me a little more about it and the pros and cons.
Continuous toekick plate
- First of all, excellent kitchen, and thanks for taking time to answer questions.
I don't think this was asked before, in this picture you can see a continuous toekick plate. However, I think IKEA cabinets (the tall ones that hold the ovens) would have both sides going down to the floor (like the end panel on the right)
DId you cut the left one on site to have that continuous appearance?
Thanks!, hope you get to answer this.
How have these cabinets worn over the years?
- I love the Ikea finish cabinets (and especially your arrangement of them) but my concern is the yearly wear and tear. How have these cabinets stood the test of time?
Love the white effect
- Ikea is not available in our country. If I have to make a similar kitchen get it down what material should i use for similar effect??laminate, duco paint ??? What are the options ... Pls help
What is the brand and colour of the white quartz countertop?
- I'm installing the same cabinets and all the samples look too creamy.
- Thanks for sharing all of your information on this beautiful kitchen, VERY helpful!!! If you don't mind me asking can you please tell me how much the total cost was for the kitchen cabinets, backsplash, and island?
What are the sizes in this kitchen?
- - island size
- space between island and cabinets
- length of the cabinet wall end to end, including ovens and fridge.
Would love to have this layout but not sure if can fit in my current space.
Btw, this is my favorite kitchen picture so far on Houzz. It looks so clean, streamlined, and contemporary.
Distance between cooktop and center island
- 1) Would like to know what distance is ideal between the sink island and countertop, do u have a dishwasher next to the sink?
2) Also whats the island countertop measurement, is it good for a breafast nook?
This is an awesome kitchen! Do you have pics of the cabinet interiors
- Hi! just wanted to know if you had pictures of how the interiors of the cabinets and drawers are organized/laid out. Thanks so much!
The kitchen cost
- How much it cost to make a beautiful kitchen like this? And how long? I'm interested
Can an IKEA cabinet handle the weight of the oven?
- Firstly, this design is amazing! I have used it as an inspiration for what I am trying to achieve with my kitchen remodel. We are struggling with the weight of my single 30" electric wall oven from LG. I have checked the specs of the Bosch oven that you have used and it definitely weighs more then the single LG unit. I am planning to place a standalone microwave below the top doors on a separate shelf with its own trim.
My question is: How did you place the unit inside the IKEA cabinet and did you have to re-enforce the bottom section of the cabinet just above the single drawer below? We are really concerned that the LG oven LWS3010ST is too heavy for the IKEA cabinet.
What kind/colour of quartz counter top?
- Was it carried by IKEA or another company. Do you recall the color/brand? I'm looking for a white countertop to match the same white high gloss cabinets.
If you know of any affordable countertop alternatives, please let me know. I unfortunately can't spend $4k on mine & forgot to budget for this in the reno! Thanks.
I want to know, what are those built-in lights? Is it DEL?
P.S.: I'm not talking about those ceiling lights in the wood panel. (But it's still really amazing too)
Thank you so much!
(Sorry for my poor skills in english)
- My contractor is going to install filler pieces for the same type of Ikea cabinets for us tomorrow. A quick question -- with your filler piece (above the wall oven) -- it looks flush with the door fronts - is this true? I like the look of this - but I wasn't sure since the gables at Ikea only have finished edges on 4 sides. If you were to cut it down and make a similar piece I would assume a few edges wouldn't be a finished high gloss white? If not, is it noticeable? Thank you for your help!
Upper Cabinet Depth
I love the look of the cabinets. I'm looking to recreate this look with Ikea cabinets and was wondering which cabinet (base vs wall) you used for the uppers, and what are the two cabinet depths you used.
- Apologies if this has been asked already, but I've read questions on 2 images posted and cannot find the information I am seeking.
Is this a 5 drawer split? Could you please tell me the dimensions of each panel, or link me to where I can find the information?
My kitchen designer has given me a 4 drawer split, but I won't be able to fit the blum accessories in it, in particular the plate holders which I need to carry the plates from scullery to main kitchen, I really like the split on these drawers.
Looking at the back of the island I assume it's a 5 drawer split but it's not so obvious on this side.
Thanks in advance for your time,
- Is the backsplash Ikea? If so, would you please tell me the name of it? Love it! Thanks.
How do you make it flush? where in the planning stage?
- You say to make this beautiful kitchen flush that it takes careful planning. Do you build out to meet the appliances or do you buy appliance to meet the cabinetry? Any tips you would like to share on how to achieve this? Thank you!!
anchoring of upper cabinet
- Was extra support required to hang the ceiling level cabinets?
We are in the middle of renovating our kitchen using many of your designs.
An Ikea employee expressed concern about anchoring these cabinets to the wall
thank you in advance for your reply
- your fabulous LG house has a nine foot ceiling
do you think your two upper cabinet design will also work in an eight foot ceiling?
- Hi, can you tell me which Ikea cabinet you used for the oven? Did you add a separate additional cabinet for the uppermost cabinet?
Im having a house built and im trying to copy your kitchen jetson design
- the cabinets above the stove top are they :AKURUM
Wall cabinet horizontal, white, Abstrakt white gloss
love your design and generosity in sharing
- thanks so much for sharing the details to your design. I'm currently working on my kitchen and baths and it's helping me a great deal to see this inspiration. You have a keen eye for modern clean design and you certainly open my eyes to IKEA as a very beautiful and viable option.
Love the little door pulls! Could you please let me know the brand and where to get them? Thank you so much.
Would this be an easy fix for replacing a plastic fluorescent panel?
- I want to update my small kitchen by replacing the fluorescent panel with recessed lighting. Is this panel hung using spacers?
What Houzz contributors are saying:
Using lots of white always helps a kitchen feel more seamless and open, especially when it’s the finish for the cabinets themselves. In this example the white upper cabinets and white ceiling blend together to de-emphasize how large the cabinets are, giving the whole room a light and airy appearance.
22. Find the Right Oven Arrangement for Your KitchenToday's oven arrangements go far beyond the traditional stovetop-above, oven-below combination. This ideabook helps make sense of the myriad combinations of wall ovens, warming drawers, double ovens and more.
Double oven. Ovens separate from the cooktop offer homeowners more flexibility with their layout. Also, many people prefer raised ovens rather than having to bend down to use a range oven. It’s definitely better on your back! If you’ve got room for this arrangement and can find a spot for your microwave, this is a great setup. In a kitchen like this, a microwave drawer hidden on the back of the island is a great solution. The main sink on the island allows for the sleek electric cooktop to be located on the back wall.Variations: Double ovens typically come in 24-, 27- and 30-inch widths; the overall heights vary.