Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxi123

Need help with what to hang on wall

jaxi123
9 years ago
My living room has a beach cottage theme as I love the ocean and the beach. I need ideas of what to hang on this wall

Comments (41)

• jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think a large piece of coastal artwork
    Just not sure what to look for
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    What about white ledge shelves.......and put coastal/beach items on them. Prop up a few star fish and sea shells made in to art in a shadow box. Lantern......so many great looks in the outdoor section of Pottery Barn that could be fun for this wall. Work in a few small canvas prints of YOUR beach.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    and whispering now.......get rid of the white vase and flowers in the corner.........
  • PRO
    The 8th House
    9 years ago
    ADD SOME COLOR TO THE WALLS! :-)

Hello,

I'm Julian, an Artist / Photographer that works for Round Pocket (www.RoundPocket.com), an Art Distribution Firm in NYC.

They provide Custom and General sizes for Various Canvases with a Fine Art Finish.

If you interested, you can request a quote with Mr. Will Sofrin (help@roundpocket.com).

You can also visit my website:
    http://julianscorpio.houzz.com

Thanks!
    -Julian
  • User
    9 years ago
    A seascape piece of art. Just be sure you don't go "overboard" with the beach theme and make it look like a seafood restaurant.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Here's an idea of a print that would go with your beach theme. I'd get it in the 30"X40" as the wall is big enough to handle a good sized picture.

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=8049261&CID=E29133118A3E4CFF9D39AF27F3FF62E9&PPID=1&PODConfigID=4990875&search=mygallery&f=g&FindID=0&P=1&PP=3&sortby=PD&cname=&SearchID=
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Why get rid of the white vase?
    Would like to find a large canvas of ocean colors just scattered around.
    No picture of anything just colors swirled around
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    You could do a series of 9 framed photos (in beach colours or sepia or black and white) - with white mats and thin frames - 3 rows of 3 for example - it will create visual interest and height. Stick with white (water), the wall colour (sky) and the bannister colour (sand) as your palette. Etsy has great photos or you might have your own you can enlarge and frame. Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
  • PRO
    My Méz
    9 years ago
    Love your blue wall with white trim- it certainly provides a wonderful canvas for an ocean-scape. We have a ton of nautical wall art that can also be used as end tables or trays. Here are some examples. Let us know what you think-I might have some close ups of the water too.
    jaxi123 thanked My Méz
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Sorry, I just thought the white vase with the arrangement looked out of place with your goal.
  • melwishes
    9 years ago
    How about a large piece of driftwood with the rope mirror suggested by decorgirly and then tying it in with something like the rope going up the wall in the picture below?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rope-rail-dsvw-vd~908251
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    My first thought was an oversized mirror that sits on the floor to reflect light and fill the space. I found one (can't attach picture) that has a frame that is sun bleached and resembles drift wood. It cost over $700, but I'm sure if you went to antique markets or salvage shops you could find an old door and could replace the glass with mirrors and sand/bleach the wood frame. Remove the flowers from the vase and place closer to the mirror and fill with birch branches. Add a hemp rug in living room. Remove the white table cloth from your dining room table and just put a large low wicker basket in the middle. If the fabric on the chairs is solid, perhaps using a wide blue/white wide would be fun.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Could fill the wall with one extra large black and white, or sepia toned photo. Or, just saw a photo on Houzz of a large boat rope tied in a knot and displayed on the wall.

Be easier to recommend things if we had more photos of the entire room.
    Coastal Cottage · More Info

Collingwood - Ski Chalet · More Info
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is the rest of the room

Maybe abstract art with ocean colors.
    Where is a good place to look?
    Lowes also has a large white framed mirror
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    grover, what if she turns it the other way and slides the couch up? Might be nice if the couch was further away from that wall anyway.
  • samsamyd
    9 years ago
    Blue Abstract Ocean Painting · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Would the rug fit in your foyer? In front of door or at bottom of stairs?
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Don't you just hate it when you ask one question, and you get comments on something else? Well, I cannot stop myself. I think the whole wall would look much better if the railing on the stairs was all white. The wood railing shooting off into space just doesn't work. A white palette will make it easier to find something to put on the wall.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    I agree about the railing. And about our comments going outside of the scope. But hoping the poster realizes that they come from a good place!
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Floating shelves may be an idea with beach items placed on them.
    My Houzz: Relaxed, Classic and Collected in New Jersey · More Info
  • PRO
    BetterWall
    9 years ago
    If you're looking for something beach themed to fit on a wall of that size you might want to consider an authentic art museum banner. We at BetterWall represent 30+ major art museums, selling their authentic street banners to people to put in their homes as spectacular wall art. As unique objects produced in limited editions, the banners embody great art, great museums, and contemporary advertising trends.

Here's a banner from Robert Misrach that was displayed at the Art Institute of Chicago. It's 30"w x 98"L, but can be rolled up from the bottom to fit your space. Read more about it: http://www.betterwall.com/banner/misrach-on-the-beach-1.html
  • PRO
    Clayton Gray Home
    9 years ago
    Try painting the wall in horizontal or vertical strips of white to overlap the switches and outlets - this will help disguise them and add interest to the wall.
    A Boy's Room · More Info

Interior Design Projects- Design Manifest · More Info

Rattan mirrors and a demilune console like the ones below :
    Set of 5 Rattan Mirrors | Clayton Gray Home · More Info

Hammered Gold Console - Clayton Gray Home · More Info
  • becplatts
    9 years ago
    what I did
  • angelavalentini
    9 years ago
    Type in 'Beach Decor' on Pinterest... Endless Ideas!
  • Maria McNulty
    9 years ago
    Go with your instinct. Put a large frameless oil painting of coastal colors that goes with your space. I think a modern style with no actual scene is perfect.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    This horizontal wood siding on the wall says beach to me without shouting it:
    Algoma Retreat · More Info
  • PRO
    Decor Outdoor
    9 years ago
    Love that color blue! Have you thought about using this as an opportunity to play with the color palette? Some metallic items (mirrors, wall hangings) would look nice. I see you have a blue couch with white and blue pillows. What else do you have from the room to draw from. Check out how green, white, gold and green, all compliment the blue. I got this picture here if you want a closer look: http://www.houzz.com/projects/544169/Arteriors-Home
  • PRO
    Decor Outdoor
    9 years ago
    Here's another one that uses red to accent the blue.
  • 140rojo
    9 years ago
    Maybe a large mirror and much larger vase and plant, to replace the small one.
  • PRO
    Minhnuyet Hardy Interiors
    9 years ago
    why don't you do a gallery wall from floor to ceiling
  • PRO
    Metal Mosaics Art by John Darovitz
    9 years ago
    Living rooms are a great place to display pictures or any type of artwork that is personal to you. My favorite part of being an artist is making that happen for my clients. Here is an example of a family image that my clients provided for me to create a unique piece of art. Maybe this would be something you find appealing as well.
  • Robert
    9 years ago
    This world ocean wall map shows the names of beaches, reefs and oceans across the world.
    http://www.mapsales.com/compart-maps/world-wall-maps/world-ocean-wall-map.aspx
  • jaxi123
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So should I get an 8 X 10 rug
  • samsamyd
    9 years ago
    Still looking for art? ... try www.jjohnny.com (see Study in Blue)
  • Karen
    9 years ago
    Parvez Taj had some great beach prints. You can find him on Wayfair, overstock, etc
  • PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9 years ago
    A water wall would look amazing on that wall. Bringing nature indoors with a water wall might help with your beach cottage theme!